Odd behaviour of Intel PRO/100 VE

netsim

Please, HELP with any ideas!
After I've changed "power" configuration for my small home network
I've got a problem with my Windows (XP) computer which has Intel
PRO/100 VE ethernet on motherboard. Now it's plugged to the UPS (as
well as my server) therefore, after Windows shutdown MB still has 5V
(duty voltage) so correspondig LEDs at the network switch still on.
When I turn on that computer back (after a considerable length of
time) Windows shows me the red-crossed network connection icon with
message "not connected" (LEDs at the network switch still on). There
is no way to get back network connection using any software tricks.
The ONLY way to get it back is shutdown, turn off the power switch at
the back of the computer (so I dive under my desk :-(, turn on the
switch after LEDs at network switch go off (2-3 sec.) and finally turn
on computer.
I tried different brand of network switch and I even disconnected WAP
temporarily (just in case), does not make any difference!!!
MB - P4 Gigabyte GA-8IRXP.