Oh, God-- What To Do Now?

Ron

Perhaps I've said it before: I really hate Windows XP. I only use
because it came with my Dell D610 laptop which I bought cheap. What I
really HATE about XP is it's antivirus feature which occasionally
kicks in to make my life a living hell.

A week ago, something set it off and I kept getting a message about XP
Antivirus Program 2011; that I *needed* this program to get rid of
what it said was 12 infections. Maybe yes, maybe no-- but this message
became malware in itself because I could not get rid of it and it
literally held my laptop hostage until I paid nearly $60 and bought
the damn program! Once a number was keyed in, the program "cleaned" my
system and finally went a way, to lurk in the background like some
Mafia thug waiting to extort me again. I'm not kidding here.

When I tried to use my laptop, not one single program would work
except for the two M$oft programs, IE8 and Outlook express; everything
else I could click on until the cows came home and nothing would
happen-- except that damn AV program might pop up again. Oh yeah,
*that* worked too. But 95% of my programs didn't.

I had a vaguely similar problem before and went into safe mode, to see
what I could do. I couldn't do anything. Everything I tried resulted
in an almost total lockout to my programs. I even tried making new
accounts-- eight of them. Most of them would have the same problem:
the non-Microsoft programs wouldn't work, and the AV program would pop
up although it claimed there were no more infections.

I have been working at this for nearly a week, and now after the 9th
account, I finally got one that worked right. I came to within a hair
of doing a root canal and totally getting rid of WP and installing
something reliable like Windows 2K. But I had already spen $60 for the
Av program and I can't afford to bleed money for this stupid laptop. I
have no doubt that sooner or later, this kind of problem is going to
re-occur as long as it seems to be no way to truly get rid of the AV
program and the part of XP that controls it. I can't keep going
through accounts as this wates a lot of time and by accident, I
already lost a lot of my precious files when I deleted a "corrupt"
account. Does anyone know what to do about a problem like this. If so,
help!

Ron

Pen

On 4/16/2011 6:57 PM, Ron wrote:
> XP
> Antivirus Program 2011

You have a virus nothing to do with xp; see here.
http://www.spywareremove.com/removeXPAntiVirus2011.html

Ron

On Apr 16, 4:22*pm, Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 4/16/2011 6:57 PM, Ron wrote:> *XP
> > Antivirus Program 2011

> You have a virus nothing to do with xp; see here.http://www.spywareremove..com/remove...Virus2011.html

I've been a fan of Windows NT and to a lesser extent, Windows 2K; that
kind of crap couldn't happen on either of those two systems. They
happen on XP because the OS doesn't really give you the freedom of
choice to use whatever kind of firewall and Av programs you want to
use: it only recognizes certain programs or even just the one AV
program. Who designed such a totally deranged OS?

If I could, I would go back to Win2k in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my
copy requires a disk drive to load in parts of Win2k and this laptop
has only a DVD/CD to load programs. Win2k was never all that cheap to
begin with, and it's more costly now than it ever was before, so I sem
to be stuck with XP but I don't like it. I'm not sure I would have
gotten the laptop from Amazon if I had known that XP was its operating
system.

But back to the matter at hand, that article doesn't say what to do
when your computer has been hijacked an you can run *any* other
program to even find the culprit at work or to get rid of it.We are
talking about total lock-down.

Ron

_____________
"People make mistakes. But it takes a computer to sriously **** up."

-- Anonymous --

Mike S.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Apr 16, 4:22*pm, Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 4/16/2011 6:57 PM, Ron wrote:> *XP
>> > Antivirus Program 2011

>> You have a virus nothing to do with xp; see

>here.http://www.spywareremove.com/removeXPAntiVirus2011.html
>
>I've been a fan of Windows NT and to a lesser extent, Windows 2K; that
>kind of crap couldn't happen on either of those two systems. They
>happen on XP because the OS doesn't really give you the freedom of
>choice to use whatever kind of firewall and Av programs you want to
>use: it only recognizes certain programs or even just the one AV
>program. Who designed such a totally deranged OS?
>
>If I could, I would go back to Win2k in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my
>copy requires a disk drive to load in parts of Win2k and this laptop
>has only a DVD/CD to load programs. Win2k was never all that cheap to
>begin with, and it's more costly now than it ever was before, so I sem
>to be stuck with XP but I don't like it. I'm not sure I would have
>gotten the laptop from Amazon if I had known that XP was its operating
>system.
>
>But back to the matter at hand, that article doesn't say what to do
>when your computer has been hijacked an you can run *any* other
>program to even find the culprit at work or to get rid of it.We are
>talking about total lock-down.

This is a fake antivirus. Among other things, it intercepts the handler
for .exe files and directs the requests to itself ... so any time you try
to run any program it executes the malware instead.

You need to terminate the process from Task Manager. You can then start
CMD.EXE by choosing FILE --> NEW TASK and ctrl-clicking on RUN. From
there, import the "exe file association fix" from the web site of your
choice and run your REAL antivirus to remove the malware. It typically
lives in the NETWORK SERVICE local settings folder.

BJ

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:57:33 -0700 (PDT), Ron <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Perhaps I've said it before: I really hate Windows XP. I only use
>because it came with my Dell D610 laptop which I bought cheap. What I
>really HATE about XP is it's antivirus feature which occasionally
>kicks in to make my life a living hell.

You got scammed, and you're trying to blame the OS?
That's pretty sad. Typically, it is something you did to
allow it to happen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8693/...virus-malware/

BJ
--
I have nothing important to say...

Bob Villa

On Apr 16, 7:51*pm, Ron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 16, 4:22*pm, Pen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On 4/16/2011 6:57 PM, Ron wrote:> *XP
> > > Antivirus Program 2011

> > You have a virus nothing to do with xp; see here.http://www.spywareremove.com/removeXPAntiVirus2011.html

> I've been a fan of Windows NT and to a lesser extent, Windows 2K; that
> kind of crap couldn't happen on either of those two systems. They
> happen on XP because the OS doesn't really give you the freedom of
> choice to use whatever kind of firewall and Av programs you want to
> use: it only recognizes certain programs or even just the one AV
> program. Who designed such a totally deranged OS?
>
> If I could, I would go back to Win2k in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my
> copy requires a disk drive to load in parts of Win2k and this laptop
> has only a DVD/CD to load programs. Win2k was never all that cheap to
> begin with, and it's more costly now than it ever was before, so I sem
> to be stuck with XP but I don't like it. *I'm not sure I would have
> gotten the laptop from Amazon if I had known that XP was its operating
> system.
>
> But back to the matter at hand, that article doesn't say what to do
> when your computer has been hijacked an you can run *any* other
> program to even find the culprit at work or to get rid of it.We are
> talking about total lock-down.
>
> Ron
>
> _____________
> "People make mistakes. But it takes a computer to sriously **** up."
>
> -- Anonymous --

To most, XP was/is the best OS made by MS (and it is based on NT).

Ryan P.

On 4/16/2011 5:57 PM, Ron wrote:
> Perhaps I've said it before: I really hate Windows XP. I only use
> because it came with my Dell D610 laptop which I bought cheap. What I
> really HATE about XP is it's antivirus feature which occasionally
> kicks in to make my life a living hell.
>
> A week ago, something set it off and I kept getting a message about XP
> Antivirus Program 2011; that I *needed* this program to get rid of
> what it said was 12 infections. Maybe yes, maybe no-- but this message
> became malware in itself because I could not get rid of it and it
> literally held my laptop hostage until I paid nearly $60 and bought
> the damn program! Once a number was keyed in, the program "cleaned" my
> system and finally went a way, to lurk in the background like some
> Mafia thug waiting to extort me again. I'm not kidding here.

Sorry to say, you got scammed. You picked up a trojan virus which
pretended it was an antivirus program, and you got tricked into paying
an unknown party $60.

No offense, but I find it curious that you are computer savvy enough
to access USENET, but not savvy enough to recognize the fairly obvious
signs that you were being presented with a virus, not a legitimate
program. You should read up on basic security. Again, no offense.
Trying to help you out so this doesn't happen to you again.

There are NO legitimate antivirus programs out there that will charge
you to scan and clean your system. Either they won't monitor your
system at all, or they will not update the virus definitions. Again,
any antivirus that scans your system but insists on a payment to clean
is NOT legitimate.

Since you created so many accounts, all of which you let be infected
with this virus, you REALLY should wipe the entire hard drive and
reinstall Windows.

And, since it sounds like you weren't actually running any antivirus
software in the first place, I suggest you download one of the free
programs out there... Avast, AVG, etc. Also, download some anti
malware software... Superantispyware for example.

Ron

On Apr 17, 2:26*am, BJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:57:33 -0700 (PDT), Ron <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Perhaps I've said it before: I really hate Windows XP. I only use
> >because it came with my Dell D610 laptop which I bought cheap. What I
> >really HATE about XP is it's antivirus feature which occasionally
> >kicks in to make my life a living hell.

> You got scammed, and you're trying to blame the OS?
> That's pretty sad. *Typically, it is something you did to
> allow it to happen:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software
>
> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8693/...irus-live-and-...
>
> BJ
> --
> I have nothing important to say...

The OS *made* it possible, dude. Funny how this virus only runs on
XP... Becasuse none of the past systems-- and especially a good one
like NT-- would rely on a certain AV or firewall program only. The
people who made this rogue program relied on and took advantage of a
stupid design flaw in XP. Yeah, I blame the OS and all th morons who
made it!

Ron

Ron

> To most, XP was/is the best OS made by MS (and it is based on NT).- Hide quoted text -

Based on NT the same way a 747 was based on the first Wright brother's
plane. There is nothing left of NT's security or structual integrity.
Windows 2k is a whole lot closer to NT and a much better program when
it comes to both stability and security. XP may have more cutesie
bells and whistles, but you pay for that dearly. But if it makes you
happy, go for it; I still think it's crap.

Ron

Pen

On 4/17/2011 8:22 PM, Ron wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2:26 am, BJ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 15:57:33 -0700 (PDT), Ron <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps I've said it before: I really hate Windows XP. I only use
>>> because it came with my Dell D610 laptop which I bought cheap. What I
>>> really HATE about XP is it's antivirus feature which occasionally
>>> kicks in to make my life a living hell.

>> You got scammed, and you're trying to blame the OS?
>> That's pretty sad. Typically, it is something you did to
>> allow it to happen:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_security_software
>>
>> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8693/...irus-live-and-...
>>
>> BJ
>> --
>> I have nothing important to say...

> The OS *made* it possible, dude. Funny how this virus only runs on
> XP... Becasuse none of the past systems-- and especially a good one
> like NT-- would rely on a certain AV or firewall program only. The
> people who made this rogue program relied on and took advantage of a
> stupid design flaw in XP. Yeah, I blame the OS and all th morons who
> made it!
>
> Ron

If you had read the link I sent you, you would have found
out the virus changes its name depending the system it is
on. It is NOT only on XP and your whining won't make it so.