Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

OK to leave AC adapter ON fulltime?

 
 
saltwaterfishing@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 02:06 PM
I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
laptop at home.

I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jerry Park
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 02:37 PM
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
> have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
> I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
> laptop at home.
>
> I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
> harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
> time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
> remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
>
> Thanks
>

I leave mine plugged in almost always. The system is three years old
with no problems.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Hoffpauir
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 03:09 PM
On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
>have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
>I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
>laptop at home.
>
>I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
>harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
>time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
>remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
>
>Thanks


Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
"most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
reason to not leave the power on continuously.
Charlie Hoffpauir
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
 
Reply With Quote
 
saltwaterfishing@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 06:42 PM

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
> On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
><<cut>>
> >
> >I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
> >harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
> >time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
> >remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
> >
> >Thanks

>
> Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
> "most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
> the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
> reason to not leave the power on continuously.
> Charlie Hoffpauir
> http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/


Maybe I should have been more clear - it's only the AC adapter that I
would leave plugged in to the AC wall socket all the time - the laptop
is only connected when I want to use the laptop. So my question was -
does it harm the adapter module to have AC current all the time - i.e.,
can the adapter wear out by being powered 24/7 for months at a time?

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
John Doue
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 06:46 PM
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>
>>On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>><<cut>>
>>
>>>I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
>>>harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
>>>time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
>>>remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>
>>Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
>>"most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
>>the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
>>reason to not leave the power on continuously.
>>Charlie Hoffpauir
>>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

>
>
> Maybe I should have been more clear - it's only the AC adapter that I
> would leave plugged in to the AC wall socket all the time - the laptop
> is only connected when I want to use the laptop. So my question was -
> does it harm the adapter module to have AC current all the time - i.e.,
> can the adapter wear out by being powered 24/7 for months at a time?
>
> Thanks
>

If I understand what you are saying, you intend to leave the AC adapter
plugged in all the time and to connect the laptop only when needed.
Well, this practice is certainly not going to harm the adapter ... but I
doubt it is wise to proceed this way. I personally believe the adapter
should be first plugged in the laptop, and only then, to the power. This
is the best way to avoid any spike to the laptop. But probably someone
knowing more technically about this issue can confirm or infirm my views.

Regards

--
John Doue
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Hoffpauir
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 07:08 PM
On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:46:54 GMT, John Doue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
>>
>>>On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>
>>><<cut>>
>>>
>>>>I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
>>>>harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
>>>>time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
>>>>remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).
>>>>
>>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
>>>"most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
>>>the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
>>>reason to not leave the power on continuously.
>>>Charlie Hoffpauir
>>>http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/

>>
>>
>> Maybe I should have been more clear - it's only the AC adapter that I
>> would leave plugged in to the AC wall socket all the time - the laptop
>> is only connected when I want to use the laptop. So my question was -
>> does it harm the adapter module to have AC current all the time - i.e.,
>> can the adapter wear out by being powered 24/7 for months at a time?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>If I understand what you are saying, you intend to leave the AC adapter
>plugged in all the time and to connect the laptop only when needed.
>Well, this practice is certainly not going to harm the adapter ... but I
>doubt it is wise to proceed this way. I personally believe the adapter
>should be first plugged in the laptop, and only then, to the power. This
>is the best way to avoid any spike to the laptop. But probably someone
>knowing more technically about this issue can confirm or infirm my views.
>
>Regards

I think John is correct, that it won't harm the adapter. I also think
(but don't know for certain) that it won't harm the laptop.... in
fact, had I such an adapter, I think I'd want to leave it on all the
time also. It seems the logical way to use one to me.
Charlie Hoffpauir
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~charlieh/
 
Reply With Quote
 
saltwaterfishing@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Interesting issue John Doue brings up. I believe typically most people
probably set the laptop on the table, plug the AC adapter into the
wall socket and then plug the adapter into the laptop. Yet I believe
somewhere I read something about the proper sequence of connecting a
laptop to AC power - have no idea if I really read this or simply think
I did.

How about others - is there a correct sequence (and why)?

Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
 
lars@fake.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-06-2005, 10:04 PM

I too have two adapters, one at work and one at home.
I leave both adapters plugged in all the time, since
several years now, and I have seen no ill effects.
Thinkpad.

On 6 Nov 2005 06:06:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I use a powered USB hub in place of a docking station for my laptop -
>have a full size keyboard, a printer, and a wireless mouse on the hub.
>I just plug the hub USB cord into the laptop USB port when I use the
>laptop at home.
>
>I also have a second AC adapter cord that I use at home. Is there any
>harm in leaving the AC adapter powered (plugged into AC power) all the
>time? The 'green' power indicator stays on all the time but the adapter
>remains cool (gets warm when plugged into the laptop).




Lars
Stockholm
 
Reply With Quote
 
H. Dziardziel
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2005, 03:29 PM
On 6 Nov 2005 13:08:24 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Interesting issue John Doue brings up. I believe typically most people
>probably set the laptop on the table, plug the AC adapter into the
>wall socket and then plug the adapter into the laptop. Yet I believe
>somewhere I read something about the proper sequence of connecting a
>laptop to AC power - have no idea if I really read this or simply think
>I did.
>
>How about others - is there a correct sequence (and why)?
>
>Thanks


The recommended sequence is: power every device off; connect all,
and any other connections e.g., network cables; plug into ac
lines; then power on, one by one. This reduces the chance of
electrical shock between devices and cables. This will also
reduce static discharges although some cables may be grounded so
there could be discharges.

If the last thing being connected is the power supply then
plugging it into the ac line first then into the laptop won't make
a practical difference for those considerations. Its ac line and
dc output are isolated and the ps-laptop dc plugs and jacks are
designed so grounds are made first; any static electricity between
the two will go through device grounds just as if the psand
l;aptop were connected first.

In fact, it's better for the ps to be powered up first then
connected to the laptop just in case the pack starts charging at
once although good design will delay the charge start until
voltages settle.. It is also of no consequence to keep the ps
plugged in all the time if it stays at room temperature -- in fact
that may extend its life. Most electronics fails when powered
up.. This assumes no ac outages of course.

..
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
>Opinions (and user experience) seems to differ, but I would guess
">most" experience battery life shortening if the battery remains on
>the charger all the time. If you remove the battery, then I see no
>reason to not leave the power on continuously.
>Charlie Hoffpauir


I agree with this....
When my laptop was new the battery life was 3.5 hours but when I
continuously used the AC adapter the effectve battery life had become
2.5 hours!
Is there anybody here who had similar experience?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overclocking: Leave voltage as is? aether Abit 28 04-04-2005 12:48 PM
Overclocking: Leave voltage as is? aether Asus 21 04-04-2005 12:48 PM
upgrade or leave alone USB 1.0? bullseye Dell 3 02-26-2005 03:09 AM
Do hard drives just die if you leave them? Paul Clare Dell 16 10-26-2004 01:17 PM
Leave on or shut off MB Dell 23 11-11-2003 01:56 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment