old board shuttle AE23 won't boot anymore

Rainer Bitschi

I have a very old mainboard Shuttle AE23 v1.1 and a cpu intel pentium3
800mhz and some ram 256mb. these components were running in this very bundle
for many years. then i removed it and had it in a box again for some years.
now i wanted to build up a secondary system with these 3 parts, i attached a
power supply, a agp graphics card and a keyboard. there is nothing else
connected.
the problem is when i turn on the system, the cpu fan starts, power led
lights up, the keyboard leds are flashing, and then... nothing. not even a
beep, just a very quiet sort of blop coming out of the speaker, as if one
turns off a big stereo amplifier. i tried different ram, different graphics
cards, so this cant be the problem. I noticed the small led on the board did
not light up when i connected power to it. after i replaced the bios
battery, it lights up as soon as power is connected. but this did not help
anything.
why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long time with this
cpu...
thanks for any ideas, Rainer

Richard Urban

You will have to enter the bios and reset to the default settings. Then try
again. It could also be that the boards capacitors dried up with age. It is
something that if used, is better than being in storage. It keeps the
capacitors "formed" and able to accept the full charge as designed.

May be time for a new M/B.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Rainer Bitschi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:435fae05$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a very old mainboard Shuttle AE23 v1.1 and a cpu intel pentium3
>800mhz and some ram 256mb. these components were running in this very
>bundle for many years. then i removed it and had it in a box again for some
>years. now i wanted to build up a secondary system with these 3 parts, i
>attached a power supply, a agp graphics card and a keyboard. there is
>nothing else connected.
> the problem is when i turn on the system, the cpu fan starts, power led
> lights up, the keyboard leds are flashing, and then... nothing. not even a
> beep, just a very quiet sort of blop coming out of the speaker, as if one
> turns off a big stereo amplifier. i tried different ram, different
> graphics cards, so this cant be the problem. I noticed the small led on
> the board did not light up when i connected power to it. after i replaced
> the bios battery, it lights up as soon as power is connected. but this did
> not help anything.
> why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long time with
> this cpu...
> thanks for any ideas, Rainer

Rainer Bitschi

"uddarts" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:321716_139b7823eda5e28d676d824b8012bd2c@hardw areforumz.com...
> "" wrote:
> > I have a very old mainboard Shuttle AE23 v1.1 and a cpu intel
> > pentium3
> > 800mhz and some ram 256mb. these components were running in
> > this very bundle
> > for many years. then i removed it and had it in a box again
> > for some years.
> > now i wanted to build up a secondary system with these 3
> > parts, i attached a
> > power supply, a agp graphics card and a keyboard. there is
> > nothing else
> > connected.
> > the problem is when i turn on the system, the cpu fan starts,
> > power led
> > lights up, the keyboard leds are flashing, and then...
> > nothing. not even a
> > beep, just a very quiet sort of blop coming out of the
> > speaker, as if one
> > turns off a big stereo amplifier. i tried different ram,
> > different graphics
> > cards, so this cant be the problem. I noticed the small led on
> > the board did
> > not light up when i connected power to it. after i replaced
> > the bios
> > battery, it lights up as soon as power is connected. but this
> > did not help
> > anything.
> > why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long
> > time with this
> > cpu...
> > thanks for any ideas, Rainer

> either test the 12v yellow + black lead off a 4 wire molex with a
> digital multimeter or try a different psu.
>
> the psu may be getting tired.
>
> ud
>
> --
> request
> Topic URL:
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/board-...pict64147.html
> http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=321716

well, i tested another known working power supply unit, mainboard still wont
boot.
resetting bios as suggested in another post is simply not possible, because
there is absolutely nothing on the screen.
the following came up my mind lately:
may it be possible that the bios chip got erased somehow, because the bios
battery was definitely tired???
i know this normally is not the case, but what is normal here?

Stephen

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 10:36:49 +0200, "Rainer Bitschi"
<(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock of green cheek conures squawk out:

>"uddarts" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>news:321716_139b7823eda5e28d676d824b8012bd2c@hard wareforumz.com...
>> "" wrote:
>> > I have a very old mainboard Shuttle AE23 v1.1 and a cpu intel
>> > pentium3
>> > 800mhz and some ram 256mb. these components were running in
>> > this very bundle
>> > for many years. then i removed it and had it in a box again
>> > for some years.
>> > now i wanted to build up a secondary system with these 3
>> > parts, i attached a
>> > power supply, a agp graphics card and a keyboard. there is
>> > nothing else
>> > connected.
>> > the problem is when i turn on the system, the cpu fan starts,
>> > power led
>> > lights up, the keyboard leds are flashing, and then...
>> > nothing. not even a
>> > beep, just a very quiet sort of blop coming out of the
>> > speaker, as if one
>> > turns off a big stereo amplifier. i tried different ram,
>> > different graphics
>> > cards, so this cant be the problem. I noticed the small led on
>> > the board did
>> > not light up when i connected power to it. after i replaced
>> > the bios
>> > battery, it lights up as soon as power is connected. but this
>> > did not help
>> > anything.
>> > why is this board not running anymore??? it did so for a long
>> > time with this
>> > cpu...
>> > thanks for any ideas, Rainer

>> either test the 12v yellow + black lead off a 4 wire molex with a
>> digital multimeter or try a different psu.
>>
>> the psu may be getting tired.
>>
>> ud
>>

>well, i tested another known working power supply unit, mainboard still wont
>boot.
>resetting bios as suggested in another post is simply not possible, because
>there is absolutely nothing on the screen.
>the following came up my mind lately:
>may it be possible that the bios chip got erased somehow, because the bios
>battery was definitely tired???
>i know this normally is not the case, but what is normal here?

There should be a jumper on the motherboard to clear the CMOS.

When the battery goes dead, only the CMOS data is affected.

Are there any bad capacitors?

Stephen

Richard Urban

When the battery goes dead the CMOS "IS" cleared. Insert a new battery and
the CMOS will go to the bios default settings, which may "not" be exactly
what you particularly need or want.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban