What "Old" CD Burner Should I Get?

Mute Fan

I have a Compaq Presario 5441 with an AMD-3K processor. I upgraded
the memory to 128 and would like to install a burner on it. If anyone
knows the speed of burner (like, S-L-O-W) I could use and where I
could find new-old burners, I'd appreciate hearing from you here.

(I've burned CDs on another Pentium 1 older than this machine, and I
think the speed was 4 X 8 X 32--whatever those numbers mean.)

Mike Walsh

Instead of buying an old drive you can buy a new drive and run it at slow speed. I have a LiteOn 52x CDRW that will burn at 4x with Nero express that came with it. You will be able to burn at much faster speed if you can enable DMA on your hard drive and CD writer.

--
Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

Aaron

Mike Walsh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Instead of buying an old drive you can buy a new drive and run it at slow speed. I have a LiteOn 52x CDRW that will burn at 4x with Nero express that came with it. You will be able to burn at much faster speed if you can enable DMA on your hard drive and CD writer.
>
> Mute Fan wrote:
> >
> > I have a Compaq Presario 5441 with an AMD-3K processor. I upgraded
> > the memory to 128 and would like to install a burner on it. If anyone
> > knows the speed of burner (like, S-L-O-W) I could use and where I
> > could find new-old burners, I'd appreciate hearing from you here.
> >
> > (I've burned CDs on another Pentium 1 older than this machine, and I
> > think the speed was 4 X 8 X 32--whatever those numbers mean.)

I have an AMD-K6 350MHz with a 16x burner, works great. 128MB SD-RAM.
Also, seems OK even with (presumably) crappy Compaq motherboard with Int. Graphics.

I'd say see how fast you can go, if you don't mind maybe a few bad CD's.
Aaron