CKL

Ok - since I find a few people here.........

I just inherited an old Gateway Solo 9550 laptop from my sister. It wasn't
working - now is.....
However, she moved during the time and old disks are GONE. Therefore, I can
not start out with a clean install of WinXPP.
Currently, it has only a 10G hard drive. I am trying to uninstall
everything I can. The Help Spot files take a lot of room and although maybe
I can just "delete" them, I am hesitant to do so. I had already uninstalled
PCDoctor and Norton stuff to clear some room (and Norton was expired
anyway).

When I go to Add/Remove, it is listed. However, to UNinstall, it asks me to
insert the disk. Not Possible because I don't have. Also, the CDWriter
rarely works anyway.

Any ideas on how this can be uninstalled? All those .exe files (and movies)
take a lot of space!!!!!

TIA
CKL

CKL

Thanks for the comeback, CS. Wasn't sure anyone could see this.
Your suggestions are appreciated (but not exactly what I was looking for
<G>)

Yes - WinXP does run slowly, but with only 128 memory, I'm surprised it runs
at all!
I want it for various reasons, and there is also other software that I don't
want to lose (but disks gone). I have a 60G portable hard drive, so saving
stuff is no problem - just can't reinstall the software. Therefore - no
reformat.
I actually had no problem with WinME, but installed WinXP home on my
desktop. It has almost the same specs (speed) as the laptop though maxed
out memory at 512, and I have no problems.

According to 9550 specs, laptop can only use 512 mem also, but several sites
report that it can use 2x512 (depending on model). However, not sure how to
address that, as the motherboard was replaced and I can't be sure of what I
have (because I can't find any place to tell me what the differences in
models were in the first place). I will probably stay at 2x256 just to be
safe, though 1 512 stick would be cheaper and then I would have a total of
640. Not sure what to do there. Would like to find someone that has tried
512's on Solo 9550.

As to backing up on a working CDdrive - if laptop drive doesn't work, how
would I use that to put things back? <G> No matter - as I said, have
portable hard drive for that. I will probably eventually get a larger hard
drive, but funds have to first be used for memory upgrades.

My thinking exactly on using this machine and keeping it as "low cost" as
possible. It will be used in an environment where damage or theft could
easily occur, and I don't want a big loss. (btw - hard drives for this thing
aren't cheap! LOL)

Thanks again!
CKL

"CS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> You can probably order the install disks from Gateway.
>
> The specs say this system will run Windows ME, 98se, and 2000. I highly
> recommend 2000, and if for whatever reason that doesn't suit you, Windows
> 98se. They'll both run just fine on this machine. Windows ME sucks eggs,
> and Windows XP will run slow and sloppy, even if you max out the RAM.
>
> If you have the funds, Order the install disks, max out the RAM, and stick
> a 100gb or so hard drive in there. You'll have a good laptop that will do
> nearly everything a modern (cheap) laptop can do, without the cost and
> without being totally heartbroken if it get's lost/stolen/damaged.
>
> If you don't have the funds, a cheap 1gb USB drive can be had for a few
> bucks, and there are plenty of Windows 2000 disks floating around. Back
> up the old stuff on a computer with a working CD drive, reformat the
> drive, and there ya go.
>
> CS
>
> "CKL" <CKL@Idon'twantspam.com> wrote in message
> news:F7CGj.2700$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok - since I find a few people here.........
>>
>> I just inherited an old Gateway Solo 9550 laptop from my sister. It
>> wasn't working - now is.....
>> However, she moved during the time and old disks are GONE. Therefore, I
>> can not start out with a clean install of WinXPP.
>> Currently, it has only a 10G hard drive. I am trying to uninstall
>> everything I can. The Help Spot files take a lot of room and although
>> maybe I can just "delete" them, I am hesitant to do so. I had already
>> uninstalled PCDoctor and Norton stuff to clear some room (and Norton was
>> expired anyway).
>>
>> When I go to Add/Remove, it is listed. However, to UNinstall, it asks me
>> to insert the disk. Not Possible because I don't have. Also, the
>> CDWriter rarely works anyway.
>>
>> Any ideas on how this can be uninstalled? All those .exe files (and
>> movies) take a lot of space!!!!!
>>
>> TIA
>> CKL

Ben Myers

I've had hands-on with the 9550 and the slightly earlier 9500. IIRC, the
motherboard chipset limits the amount of memory to 2x256MB, probably PC133. Not
all that pricey these days, and it would make a world of difference in the
performance of XP. I have 512MB in an IBM Thinkpad from the same era, and XP
runs very comfortably.

It always amazes me when a computer shows up here with 128MB and Windows XP
running. Badly. This is good way to wear out a hard drive from excessive swap
file activity. What were these people thinking when they installed XP? The
answer is that they did not know any better... Ben Myers

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:08:30 -0400, "CKL" <CKL@Idon'twantspam.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> news:F7CGj.2700$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok - since I find a few people here.........
>>>
>>> I just inherited an old Gateway Solo 9550 laptop from my sister. It
>>> wasn't working - now is.....
>>> However, she moved during the time and old disks are GONE. Therefore, I
>>> can not start out with a clean install of WinXPP.
>>> Currently, it has only a 10G hard drive. I am trying to uninstall
>>> everything I can. The Help Spot files take a lot of room and although
>>> maybe I can just "delete" them, I am hesitant to do so. I had already
>>> uninstalled PCDoctor and Norton stuff to clear some room (and Norton was
>>> expired anyway).
>>>
>>> When I go to Add/Remove, it is listed. However, to UNinstall, it asks me
>>> to insert the disk. Not Possible because I don't have. Also, the
>>> CDWriter rarely works anyway.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how this can be uninstalled? All those .exe files (and

CKL

Thanks Tom. Already been there (with that laptop) and Crucial says I can
use 2x512.
However, there is a * saying "up to Manufacturers recommendations" (or
something like that).
This is what is so confusing. I think because maybe different models might
have supported different amounts? Maybe later models with a bios upgrade?
Gateway lumps them all together for support, although they list the
different models.
Crucial guarantees them, but e-bay has better prices. <BG> I know - you get
what you pay for sometimes, but all those extra $ here and there add up!

"Tom Clydesdale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]
>>>
>>> The specs say this system will run Windows ME, 98se, and 2000. I highly
>>> recommend 2000, and if for whatever reason that doesn't suit you,
>>> Windows 98se. They'll both run just fine on this machine. Windows ME
>>> sucks eggs, and Windows XP will run slow and sloppy, even if you max out
>>> the RAM.
>>>
>>> If you have the funds, Order the install disks, max out the RAM, and
>>> stick a 100gb or so hard drive in there. You'll have a good laptop that
>>> will do nearly everything a modern (cheap) laptop can do, without the
>>> cost and without being totally heartbroken if it get's
>>> lost/stolen/damaged.
>>>
>>> If you don't have the funds, a cheap 1gb USB drive can be had for a few
>>> bucks, and there are plenty of Windows 2000 disks floating around. Back
>>> up the old stuff on a computer with a working CD drive, reformat the

CKL

(See answer to Tom)
Yeah - I think I will be safer with 512, and it should be plenty. As I
previously stated, it is fine on this desktop.
(BTW, I don't think they were........ <g> thinking that is! and no - they
didn't know better)

No answers to the "uninstall Gateway Help Spot"? <G>
That was my original question.

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>>> recommend 2000, and if for whatever reason that doesn't suit you,
>>> Windows
>>> 98se. They'll both run just fine on this machine. Windows ME sucks
>>> eggs,
>>> and Windows XP will run slow and sloppy, even if you max out the RAM.
>>>
>>> If you have the funds, Order the install disks, max out the RAM, and
>>> stick
>>> a 100gb or so hard drive in there. You'll have a good laptop that will
>>> do
>>> nearly everything a modern (cheap) laptop can do, without the cost and
>>> without being totally heartbroken if it get's lost/stolen/damaged.
>>>
>>> If you don't have the funds, a cheap 1gb USB drive can be had for a few
>>> bucks, and there are plenty of Windows 2000 disks floating around. Back
>>> up the old stuff on a computer with a working CD drive, reformat the

Ben Myers

Removal by brute force is always an option:

Boot in safe mode.
Find the folder with the Gateway Help Spot, and delete it.
If Gateway Help Spot is started up via the startup menu group, remove it from
there.
Remove any and all Gateway Help Spot entries from the registry at your peril. Do
so only if you really really know what you are doing.
Reboot.
Download and run CCleaner to clean up the rest of the junk in the registry.

Brute force is sometimes the only approach to remove a virus or other malware
from a system, except that Gateway Help Spot is not exactly a virus. Just sort
of a big unwieldy pest.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:26:33 -0400, "CKL" <CKL@Idon'twantspam.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>640. Not sure what to do there. Would like to find someone that has
>>>tried
>>>512's on Solo 9550.
>>>
>>>As to backing up on a working CDdrive - if laptop drive doesn't work, how
>>>would I use that to put things back? <G> No matter - as I said, have
>>>portable hard drive for that. I will probably eventually get a larger
>>>hard
>>>drive, but funds have to first be used for memory upgrades.
>>>
>>>My thinking exactly on using this machine and keeping it as "low cost" as
>>>possible. It will be used in an environment where damage or theft could
>>>easily occur, and I don't want a big loss. (btw - hard drives for this
>>>thing
>>>aren't cheap! LOL)
>>>
>>>Thanks again!
>>>CKL
>>>

>>>"CS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

CKL

Thanks Ben!
Yeah - with a small drive, it is (an unwieldy pest)! If I really need help,
I can use the desktop. I think it is good for someone that has never used a
computer, or a completely different operating system - but not the case
here. Was hoping someone had come up with a "prewritten" solution <G>.
Always looking for the simple way or using someone else's
expertise...........
Wouldn't mind keeping the "original" help there - and I think maybe it is
destroyed by the additions (which is probably why the disk is needed - to
rebuild? Anyway, to get "some" space back, I could probably just delete the
..exe files and .swf files that take up all the room. Then the links just
wouldn't work (like they don't now for PCDoctor and Norton that I removed).
<sigh> I'll decide later I guess - and after I make a full image (which I
already have several at different stages).
Thanks again. It's nice to see you are still checking into this group.

By the way - why is it necessary to boot to safe mode? No problem - just
like to know why I am doing something <G>

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Removal by brute force is always an option:
>
> Boot in safe mode.
> Find the folder with the Gateway Help Spot, and delete it.
> If Gateway Help Spot is started up via the startup menu group, remove it
> from
> there.
> Remove any and all Gateway Help Spot entries from the registry at your
> peril. Do
> so only if you really really know what you are doing.
> Reboot.
> Download and run CCleaner to clean up the rest of the junk in the
> registry.
>
> Brute force is sometimes the only approach to remove a virus or other
> malware
> from a system, except that Gateway Help Spot is not exactly a virus.
> Just sort
> of a big unwieldy pest.
>
> ... Ben Myers
>
> On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:26:33 -0400, "CKL" <CKL@Idon'twantspam.com> wrote:
>
>>(See answer to Tom)
>>Yeah - I think I will be safer with 512, and it should be plenty. As I
>>previously stated, it is fine on this desktop.
>>(BTW, I don't think they were........ <g> thinking that is! and no - they
>>didn't know better)
>>
>>No answers to the "uninstall Gateway Help Spot"? <G>
>>That was my original question.
>>

>>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> I've had hands-on with the 9550 and the slightly earlier 9500. IIRC,
>>> the
>>> motherboard chipset limits the amount of memory to 2x256MB, probably
>>> PC133. Not
>>> all that pricey these days, and it would make a world of difference in
>>> the
>>> performance of XP. I have 512MB in an IBM Thinkpad from the same era,
>>> and XP
>>> runs very comfortably.
>>>
>>> It always amazes me when a computer shows up here with 128MB and Windows
>>> XP
>>> running. Badly. This is good way to wear out a hard drive from
>>> excessive
>>> swap
>>> file activity. What were these people thinking when they installed XP?
>>> The
>>> answer is that they did not know any better... Ben Myers

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Ben Myers typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:53:46 -0400:
[...]
> It always amazes me when a computer shows up here with 128MB and
> Windows XP running. Badly. This is good way to wear out a hard
> drive from excessive swap file activity. What were these people
> thinking when they installed XP? The answer is that they did not
> know any better... Ben Myers

Well I have two Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops ('99 era) maxed out with 192MB
of RAM. One has Windows 98SE installed and the other has Windows 2000.
And to me honest with you, I rather use the one with Windows 2000
installed. It does swap a lot, but it is stable. The Windows 98SE is
also stable, as long as the resources doesn't run low. Which it does all
of the time and it is really annoying. Although playing DVDs and video
streams is 7 times better under Windows 98SE on this model. For example,
the W98SE machine can handle stream video up to 700kbs. But the W2k one
can only handle 100kbs.

I hardly use those two anymore though. As I generally use one of my two
Gateway MX6124 (2006 era) laptops with 1GB of RAM with Windows XP SP2
installed. Which are far faster than either of the two Toshiba 2595XDVD
laptops anyway.

--
Bill

Ben Myers

I've worked on some Toshiba laptops similar to the 2595. I detest Toshibas for
their use of unpopular chipsets, and the difficulty of what is supposed to be
simple maintenance. Also for their STUPID hardware design with only one SODIMM
socket, as in your system. Reminds me of the other worldly designs of HP
Vectras, designed in France to be totally hardware incompatible with the rest of
the world. But that's another story.

Windows 2000 running in 192MB is not too bad. Certainly better than the 128MB
Toshiba with XP I handled some months back, upgrading its memory to 192MB.

Although Toshiba's largely missing technical specs for the 2595 won't admit it,
you might see if you can get a 256MB SODIMM (PC133 or PC100, I forget which)
with low density memory and see if the system can be boosted to 320MB. Not sure
if it would work, but nearly every Pentium 3 chipset, laptop or desktop,
supports up to 512MB. But, then too, Toshiba could have continued its
stupidity by crippling the BIOS not to recognize "large" amounts of memory.

.... Ben Myers

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:56:13 -0500, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>Ben Myers typed on Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:53:46 -0400:
>[...]
>> It always amazes me when a computer shows up here with 128MB and
>> Windows XP running. Badly. This is good way to wear out a hard
>> drive from excessive swap file activity. What were these people
>> thinking when they installed XP? The answer is that they did not
>> know any better... Ben Myers

>Well I have two Toshiba 2595XDVD laptops ('99 era) maxed out with 192MB
>of RAM. One has Windows 98SE installed and the other has Windows 2000.
>And to me honest with you, I rather use the one with Windows 2000
>installed. It does swap a lot, but it is stable. The Windows 98SE is
>also stable, as long as the resources doesn't run low. Which it does all
>of the time and it is really annoying. Although playing DVDs and video
>streams is 7 times better under Windows 98SE on this model. For example,
>the W98SE machine can handle stream video up to 700kbs. But the W2k one
>can only handle 100kbs.
>
>I hardly use those two anymore though. As I generally use one of my two
>Gateway MX6124 (2006 era) laptops with 1GB of RAM with Windows XP SP2
>installed. Which are far faster than either of the two Toshiba 2595XDVD
>laptops anyway.

BillW50

Hi Ben... Well the two 2595XDVD Toshibas used a 400MHZ Celeron. So I
don't know if that changes your belief that the one SODIMM socket can
actually handle 256MB. I did own a HP 8655c (2000 era) that was a PIII
533MHZ. Although the two sockets in the specs claimed that it could only
handle 2x128MB (256MB total). And that is what I had in there. Had
Windows 2000 running on that one too.

--
Bill

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
Ben Myers typed on Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:40:42 -0400: