Old MA7 - NX510X - BIOS battery?

Justin

I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information. I'm
guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd like
to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?

BillW50

In news:iplb64$hcr$(E-Mail Removed),
Justin wrote:
> I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information.
> I'm guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd
> like to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?

It is probably under the keyboard. Here is how to remove the keyboard.

http://global-download.gateway.com/G...EBOOK&Step2=NX
SERIES&Step3=NX510&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6 G

Or this one:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/pro...1&modelId=3182

Either manual tells you how to remove the keyboard. Sorry I could not
find the part number. And what is nice about all of these Gateways MA1
through MA7 is that a lot of parts can be shared between them. And the
CMOS battery is probably the same among them all.

Say did you try charging the CMOS battery first? Most laptops (I don't
know about these), you need to have the laptop up and running. And after
12 to 24 hours later, see if the CMOS battery is now holding a charge.
If it is, you are good to go.

Some old Toshiba laptops at least (I don't know about others), you had
to have the screen lit before the CMOS battery would charge. So if the
screen was turned off and the computer was still running, the CMOS
battery will not be charged. So disable turning off the screen under the
power options.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Justin

On 5/3/11 7:40 AM, BillW50 wrote:
> In news:iplb64$hcr$(E-Mail Removed),
> Justin wrote:
>> I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information.
>> I'm guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd
>> like to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?

> It is probably under the keyboard. Here is how to remove the keyboard.
>
> http://global-download.gateway.com/G...EBOOK&Step2=NX
> SERIES&Step3=NX510&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6 G
>
> Or this one:
>
> http://support.gateway.com/us/en/pro...1&modelId=3182

Thanks, I'll check that out.

> Either manual tells you how to remove the keyboard. Sorry I could not
> find the part number. And what is nice about all of these Gateways MA1
> through MA7 is that a lot of parts can be shared between them. And the
> CMOS battery is probably the same among them all.
>
> Say did you try charging the CMOS battery first? Most laptops (I don't
> know about these), you need to have the laptop up and running. And after
> 12 to 24 hours later, see if the CMOS battery is now holding a charge.
> If it is, you are good to go.

I had the laptop sitting around for about four months, unplugged and
completely dead. Then I had it plugged in for a few days as I was
trying to diagnose it.

What To Do About My Old Digital Camera - Old USB? Von Fourche Dell 10 01-04-2006 10:56 AM
Old Zip drive in new computer for 73 year old mother Dell 12 09-13-2005 01:52 PM
old A7V333 I bought old mainboard ja-news.gazeta.pl Asus 0 08-03-2005 01:53 PM
TYAN S2080 - SAME OLD, SAME OLD- I give up? Michael P Gabriel Tyan 1 12-17-2003 04:53 AM
K7S5A Pro and old, old i740 AGP card -- freezes larrymoencurly ECS 1 08-28-2003 07:06 AM