old SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 digital out cable to receiver

Duke Robillard

So, I've got an old SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card. On of the
mini-plug jacks is supposed to put out a digital signal, so
I believe I can plug it into the coax digital in jack on my
5.1 receiver. From checking this group and googling around,
I think all I need is a cable with an RCA connector
on one end for the reciever and a 1/8" plug on the other end
for the SoundBlaster. (Anyone know if I'm crazy here?) I can
solder well enough to build that cable. :-)

But...the jack on the SoundBlaster apparently has two connections;
like it takes a "stereo" miniplug; one with both a "tip" and
"ring" connection. (I think that because in "analog" mode, it
connects to both the center and subwoofer channels, according
to Creative's doc.) Anyone know which is the digital? I can
build both cables and do the trial and error thing, but it'd
be nice not to. :-)

Thanks in Advance....

Duke

Duke Robillard

Duke Robillard wrote:
> ... an old SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card. One of the
> mini-plug jacks ... puts out a digital signal, so
> I can plug it into the coax digital in jack on my
> 5.1 receiver. ... [with] a cable with an RCA connector
> on one end for the reciever and a 1/8" plug on the other end
> for the SoundBlaster.
> But...the jack on the SoundBlaster apparently has two connections;
> like it takes a "stereo" miniplug; one with both a "tip" and
> "ring" connection. .... which is the digital?

Just thought I'd follow up with my results. I still don't know
which one is digital, but I found a stereo-mini-plug-to-dual-RCA
adapter, and just tried the red RCA plug one. :-) It seems to
work fine.

Duke