Onboard USB ports not working

jolly

Hi guys,

I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
Gigabyte website is 'down'.

Can anyone help me?

Patty

On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, jolly wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
> it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
> and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
> is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
> was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
> use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
> Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
> PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.
>
> I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
> checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
> Gigabyte website is 'down'.
>
> Can anyone help me?

Did you install the drivers for your board? Most boards come with drivers
to install. I had no problems connecting to the gigabyte website:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/

Patty

Richard Hopkins

"jolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message ...
> I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install
> XP it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'.

So you had XP successfully set up on it before?

> I did some research and decided to force the HAL into
> MSI multiprocessor.

Did you have to do this before, when you had XP working properly? If not,
what has changed since the last time? Have you disconnected any
non-essential peripherals? Do you actually have a pair of processors
installed, and if so, which type?

> Before I had re-installed, I was running XP and the USB ports were
> working fine.

Doesn't sound like there's anything electrically wrong with them then.

> Now when I try to use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked
> in the Device Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r)
> 82371AD/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

As Patty has already suggested, have you installed the Intel Chipset
Drivers? Also, if you have reinstalled XP, have you done it from an original
release CD, or the updated one that has service pack 2 already preinstalled?
If the former, make sure you also install SP2.

> I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS.

If you had XP installed and running properly before, it follows that there
is nothing significantly wrong with the current BIOS. As such, don't bother
changing this until you have tracked down the problem.

Stephen

On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, "jolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock
of green cheek conures squawk out:

>Hi guys,
>
>I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
>it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
>and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
>is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
>was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
>use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
>Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
>PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.
>
>I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
>checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
>Gigabyte website is 'down'.
>
>Can anyone help me?

XP Service Pack 2 installed?

Stephen

jolly

On Feb 4, 6:59 am, Stephen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, "jolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock
> of green cheek conures squawk out:
>
> >Hi guys,

> >I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
> >it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
> >and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
> >is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
> >was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
> >use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
> >Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
> >PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

> >I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
> >checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
> >Gigabyte website is 'down'.

> >Can anyone help me?

> XP Service Pack 2 installed?
>
> Stephen
> --

No, Should I install it?

Richard Hopkins

"jolly" wrote in message...
>> XP Service Pack 2 installed?
>>
>> Stephen
>> --

> No, Should I install it?

Of course, as it fixes a whole slew of things that were wrong with the
earlier version of Windows XP.

However, it is unlikely in itself to solve your USB problem, although if
you're lucky, the SP2 install will indirectly fix whatever is wrong with
your system at the moment. If it doesn't, post again with answers to the
other questions you've been asked.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Stephen

On 5 Feb 2007 01:46:53 -0800, "jolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock
of green cheek conures squawk out:

>On Feb 4, 6:59 am, Stephen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 2 Feb 2007 15:05:22 -0800, "jolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> had a flock
>> of green cheek conures squawk out:
>>
>> >Hi guys,

>> >I just did a re-install of XP on my computer. Everytime I install XP
>> >it hangs when it says 'Setup is loading Windows'. I did some research
>> >and decided to force the HAL into MSI multiprocessor. My motherboard
>> >is a Gigatbyte GA-6BXD, dual processor. Before I had re-installed, I
>> >was running XP and the USB ports were working fine. Now when I try to
>> >use the onboard USB ports, nothing happens. I checked in the Device
>> >Manager and it had an exclamation mark next to ' Intel(r) 82371AD/EB
>> >PCI to USB Universal Host Controller'.

>> >I did some reseach on this and most people said to update the BIOS. I
>> >checked all over for it on the web but i can't find it, since the
>> >Gigabyte website is 'down'.

>> >Can anyone help me?

>> XP Service Pack 2 installed?
>>
>> Stephen
>> --

>No, Should I install it?

SP2 has the USB2 drivers.

Stephen

Richard Hopkins

"Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message...
>>No, Should I install it?

> SP2 has the USB2 drivers.
>
> Stephen

That is largely a moot point for the OP, as his motherboard doesn't have a
USB 2.0 controller on it.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

jolly

Hey guys thanks for your help.

I haven't got a copy of SP2 yet.

But I have downloaded a copy of the updated BIOS can you tell me how
to update or flash the BIOS.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Zadok

On 7 Feb 2007 22:14:35 -0800, "jolly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey guys thanks for your help.
>
>I haven't got a copy of SP2 yet.
>
>But I have downloaded a copy of the updated BIOS can you tell me how
>to update or flash the BIOS.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jeremy

The site where you got the file should have an explanation regarding
how to use it. Check there.

-- Zadok
('')