stiffman320

So i have this laptop that is a few years old and it needed some work.
It is a Dell Inspiron 6000. So I tear the thing apart, clean out the
heat sinks, apply some arctic silver, drop in a larger harddrive and
some more ram, replace the battery and broken cd drive tray, and put
it all back together. I didn't have any problems working on it, it was
actually much easier than i had expected to work on this laptop. The
only problem is, now it wont stay on for more than 5 seconds. it wont
even POST. I tried just about everything. I replaced the original
hardware and everything. Ive checked and double checked so it isn't
anything simple the i forgot to do or didnt seat corrctly. it has
booted a few times, but only lasted about a minute. I have no idea
what is going on. the only clue i have is (what i think is) the
northbridge gets hot. i think this may be causing a thermal shutdown
or something.

Not too upset if i toasted the thing, just wondering if any of you
guys might know what is going on.

Thanks

the wharf rat

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
stiffman320 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not too upset if i toasted the thing, just wondering if any of you
>guys might know what is going on.

Sure you got every one of those fussy little connectors right? Did
you use a long screw where there should have been a short one and make a
connection that shouldn't exist?

stiffman320

i tried booting it completely out of the case....and to no avail.

M.I.5

"stiffman320" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> So i have this laptop that is a few years old and it needed some work.
> It is a Dell Inspiron 6000. So I tear the thing apart, clean out the
> heat sinks, apply some arctic silver, drop in a larger harddrive and
> some more ram, replace the battery and broken cd drive tray, and put
> it all back together. I didn't have any problems working on it, it was
> actually much easier than i had expected to work on this laptop. The
> only problem is, now it wont stay on for more than 5 seconds. it wont
> even POST. I tried just about everything. I replaced the original
> hardware and everything. Ive checked and double checked so it isn't
> anything simple the i forgot to do or didnt seat corrctly. it has
> booted a few times, but only lasted about a minute. I have no idea
> what is going on. the only clue i have is (what i think is) the
> northbridge gets hot. i think this may be causing a thermal shutdown
> or something.
>
> Not too upset if i toasted the thing, just wondering if any of you
> guys might know what is going on.

Static damage could cause the effect that you see.