Opening of the Apple keyboards

JF Mezei

I have a wired Apple keyboard (with numeric keypad).

It is time for it to get a good clean. In the past, I would take
keyboard apart, wash the keycaps in dish water, dry them out and
re-assemble the keyboard. (with the dust, hair etc inside removed).

I looked at ifixit and couldn't find instructions on how to open the
keyboard.

Anyone have hints ? Are there screws under the difficult to remove
rubber feet ? Or is this a "snap in" type of arrangement or is the
thing glewed solid and I need to be prepared to buy a new one if
cleaning the keycaps in site caused keyboard to fail ?

(it needs a "real" cleanup, not a superfial one like I do often).

Helpful Harry

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jolly
Roger <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <4fad81da$0$6839$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > I have a wired Apple keyboard (with numeric keypad).
> >
> > It is time for it to get a good clean. In the past, I would take
> > keyboard apart, wash the keycaps in dish water, dry them out and
> > re-assemble the keyboard. (with the dust, hair etc inside removed).
> >
> > I looked at ifixit and couldn't find instructions on how to open the
> > keyboard.
> >
> > Anyone have hints ? Are there screws under the difficult to remove
> > rubber feet ? Or is this a "snap in" type of arrangement or is the
> > thing glewed solid and I need to be prepared to buy a new one if
> > cleaning the keycaps in site caused keyboard to fail ?
> >

> > (it needs a "real" cleanup, not a superfial one like I do often).

> The keyboard is glued together. I doubt very much that you could open it
> without bending it out of shape.
>
> You can remove the keys and clean underneath them.

Technically they can be removed. I haven't tried removing keys from one of
Apple's aluminium keyboards yet, but they are basically laptop keyboards,
and unlike "normal" desktop keys, the hinging mechanism for laptop keys
can be fairly easily broken when removing them. (

On the bonus side, since the aluminium keyboard is flat and almost sealed,
not as much dirt can get in as does with "normal" desktop keyboards.

Helpful Harry )

TaliesinSoft

Years ago I had the misfortune of spilling a glass of beer into an
Apple keyboard. I plunged the keyboard into a bathtub of water and
sloshed it around for quite a while. I then placed the keyboard into an
oven which I set on a low heat and let it stay in there for two days.
After that the keyboard worked just fine! This was before the aluminum
keyboards appeared and I have no idea if the same treatment would work.

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Years ago I had the misfortune of spilling a glass of beer into an
> Apple keyboard. I plunged the keyboard into a bathtub of water and
> sloshed it around for quite a while. I then placed the keyboard into an
> oven which I set on a low heat and let it stay in there for two days.
> After that the keyboard worked just fine! This was before the aluminum
> keyboards appeared and I have no idea if the same treatment would work.

Someone should bring out a book on cleaning keyboards, there have been
so many tales around. For some odd reason the one that has stuck in my
mind is the one about putting it in the dishwasher and it being fine
afterwards or almost fine, just one key not working.

--
dorayme

Peter James

JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a wired Apple keyboard (with numeric keypad).
>

> It is time for it to get a good clean. In the past, I would take
> keyboard apart, wash the keycaps in dish water, dry them out and
> re-assemble the keyboard. (with the dust, hair etc inside removed).
>
> I looked at ifixit and couldn't find instructions on how to open the
> keyboard.
>
> Anyone have hints ? Are there screws under the difficult to remove
> rubber feet ? Or is this a "snap in" type of arrangement or is the
> thing glewed solid and I need to be prepared to buy a new one if
> cleaning the keycaps in site caused keyboard to fail ?
>

> (it needs a "real" cleanup, not a superfial one like I do often).

I have two of the wired type keyboards. One in use, and one "resting"
after a clean.
I just run the hot water tap over the keyboard, ensuring that all
particles of food, i.e biscuit and cake crumbs are washed away and all
coffee stains and sugar are dissolved away. I give it as good a drying
I can give it with a soft towel, and then place it on the draining board
to drain. I then put it in the airing cupboard for until such time as
the keyboard in use needs cleaning.

I have done this for four years now, and the KB works perfectly after
every clean.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797

Alan Browne

On 2012-05-11 17:17 , JF Mezei wrote:
> I have a wired Apple keyboard (with numeric keypad).
>

> It is time for it to get a good clean. In the past, I would take
> keyboard apart, wash the keycaps in dish water, dry them out and
> re-assemble the keyboard. (with the dust, hair etc inside removed).
>
> I looked at ifixit and couldn't find instructions on how to open the
> keyboard.
>
> Anyone have hints ? Are there screws under the difficult to remove
> rubber feet ? Or is this a "snap in" type of arrangement or is the
> thing glewed solid and I need to be prepared to buy a new one if
> cleaning the keycaps in site caused keyboard to fail ?
>

> (it needs a "real" cleanup, not a superfial one like I do often).

If you mean the metal one with square, flat keys I'll give you mine if
you donate $10 to charity.

It's near pristine.

--
"A person with a new idea is a crank until the idea succeeds."
-Samuel Clemens.

George Kerby

On 5/11/12 11:14 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
"TaliesinSoft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Years ago I had the misfortune of spilling a glass of beer into an
> Apple keyboard. I plunged the keyboard into a bathtub of water and
> sloshed it around for quite a while. I then placed the keyboard into an
> oven which I set on a low heat and let it stay in there for two days.
> After that the keyboard worked just fine! This was before the aluminum
> keyboards appeared and I have no idea if the same treatment would work.

<http://www.iskin.com/protouch_apple_keyboard/>

Paul Sture

On Sat, 12 May 2012 15:54:34 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> TaliesinSoft <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Years ago I had the misfortune of spilling a glass of beer into an
>> Apple keyboard. I plunged the keyboard into a bathtub of water and
>> sloshed it around for quite a while. I then placed the keyboard into an
>> oven which I set on a low heat and let it stay in there for two days.
>> After that the keyboard worked just fine! This was before the aluminum
>> keyboards appeared and I have no idea if the same treatment would work.

> Someone should bring out a book on cleaning keyboards, there have been
> so many tales around. For some odd reason the one that has stuck in my
> mind is the one about putting it in the dishwasher and it being fine
> afterwards or almost fine, just one key not working.

I tried that once. Result: too many keys didn't work.

I had a lot more success with a DEC keyboard. I took all the keycaps off
and put them in the dishwasher.

Hint: take a photo of the keyboard before you take the keycaps off. This
takes any guesswork away when reassembling it.

--
Paul Sture

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hint: take a photo of the keyboard before you take the keycaps off. This
> takes any guesswork away when reassembling it.

Another hint:

1. Loosen all keys but leave them in place.

2. Have a breadboard at least as big as the keyboard.

3. Chew some gum, and when well masticated, dob a bit on each key. Or,
if you actually like gum, chew a lot and smear it all over the board.

4. Place board on top of keyboard and press gently, just enough to get
the gum to stick and no more. Lift board gently and store upside down
in a safe place. Wash keyboard. Then, when dry, gently reverse the
bread board onto the keyboard. Use extra marker lines if need be.

--
dorayme

Paul Sture

On Sun, 13 May 2012 09:50:48 +1000, dorayme wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> Hint: take a photo of the keyboard before you take the keycaps off.
>> This takes any guesswork away when reassembling it.

> Another hint:
>
> 1. Loosen all keys but leave them in place.
>
> 2. Have a breadboard at least as big as the keyboard.
>
> 3. Chew some gum, and when well masticated, dob a bit on each key. Or,
> if you actually like gum, chew a lot and smear it all over the board.
>
> 4. Place board on top of keyboard and press gently, just enough to get
> the gum to stick and no more. Lift board gently and store upside down in
> a safe place. Wash keyboard. Then, when dry, gently reverse the bread
> board onto the keyboard. Use extra marker lines if need be.

A sheet of sticky backed plastic sounds less messy.

--
Paul Sture

Apple Toner, Apple Ink Cartridges, Apple Ribbons Jacobs HP 0 07-16-2010 09:38 AM
No keyboards jay Compaq 3 09-21-2007 05:45 AM
Very quiet keyboards--suggestions? KenV Asus 13 03-13-2006 01:51 PM
How many use wireless keyboards here? me@privacy.net Dell 8 06-13-2005 11:32 PM
Kensington vs Apple Wireless Keyboards and Mice? AES Apple 3 01-23-2005 03:50 AM