Operating system cd

terrique

Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system cd from for
my gateway.

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]

>> gateway <<

assuming it's a tabletpc, only from gateway if you need to preserve the
tablet functionality.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Rainald Taesler

terrique wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system
> cd from for my gateway.

I assume you are asking for XP TabletPC edition (in Vista the TabletPC
functionality is built-in).
As Beverly said: You'd have to contact Gateway. XP TabletPC edition
never was made available to the public by MS. It has always been
available to the manufacturers of TabletPCs only.

This said:
There has been quite a number of reports in several forums which pointed
to the fact the a normal *retail* version of a XP *SP2* CD can be used
for installing the OS including the Tablet components. The crucial
factor is the *KEY*. As the XP SP2 CD contains the whole subset of the
TabletPC files in the "Cmpnents" subdirectory (which on the original XP
CDs was on a second CD) the TabletPC components are installed if (a)
Tablet hardware is detected and (b) the product key entered is a valid
key for the TabletPC edition.

This does *not* work with OEM CDs and Volume Licence CDs which during
the install don't accept a key valid for the TabletPC edition.
It does work with CDs with the "Cmpnents" subdirectory added by
integrating the SP2 with the "slipstreaming" method (if the original CD
accepts a Key for the TabletPC edition).

If there is a sticker with the OS licence and the key on your computer,
the install procedures will install the complete TabletPC OS version.

Caveat: I could not try this out myself as I only have VL-CDs which do
not accept my TabletPC key :-( :-(
I'm pretty sure, however, that it works this way - not only from the
mentioned reports but also from MS KB articles. f.e.:
"However, to invoke the Tablet PC setup routine, you must
use a Product Key explicitly assigned for use with the Tablet PC
operating system. The Product Keys for Windows XP Professional
and Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 are not interchangeable."
(MS TechNet: Deploying Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx )

Rainald
P.S. In addition to installing the OS you will need
manufacturer-specific drivers and software add-ons. Check Gateway's
website. I have no idea in how good their download site might be (HP
f.e. has just *everything).

Sinner

"terrique" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system cd from
> for
> my gateway.

Take a look on eBay and at newegg.com. OEM versions of Windows XP Tablet
Edition 2005 are available. I just installed one on my Gateway C-142XL
tablet.

Rainald Taesler

Sinner wrote:

> "terrique" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can anyone tell me where I can get the tablet pc operating system
>> cd from for
>> my gateway.

> Take a look on eBay and at newegg.com. OEM versions of Windows XP
> Tablet Edition 2005 are available. I just installed one on my
> Gateway C-142XL tablet.

I seriously doubt that this was too legal ...

Rainald