Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Optiplex gets stuck booting up

 
 
maps@bkwds.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-22-2011, 03:22 PM

My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.


-Ed


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-25-2011, 01:48 AM
On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:

>
> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
>
>
> -Ed



"Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?

We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
board which will have had this issue resolved!





 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
maps@bkwds.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2011, 02:44 AM
On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ???? <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
>
>>
>> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
>> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
>> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
>> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
>>
>>
>> -Ed

>
>
>"Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?
>
>We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
>Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
>Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
>exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
>would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
>board which will have had this issue resolved!
>


I'd say it happened twice already, in the first week or so after it
was received but seems to run ok now. There haven't been any
issues since.

Didn't try to update the BIOS. Will that resolve the issue?


-Ed


 
Reply With Quote
 
Hachiroku ハチロク
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2011, 04:59 AM
On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:

> On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ???? <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
>>> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
>>> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
>>> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
>>>
>>>
>>> -Ed

>>
>>
>>"Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?
>>
>>We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
>>Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
>>Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
>>exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
>>would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
>>board which will have had this issue resolved!
>>

>
> I'd say it happened twice already, in the first week or so after it
> was received but seems to run ok now. There haven't been any
> issues since.
>
> Didn't try to update the BIOS. Will that resolve the issue?
>
>
> -Ed



You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if it decides
to hiccup while performing the upgrade.

But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I saw this a
lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If the BIOS
corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back up the
important stuff!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Christopher Muto
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-27-2011, 04:38 PM
On 5/27/2011 12:59 AM, Hachiroku * wrote:
> On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ????<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
>>>> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
>>>> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
>>>> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -Ed
>>>
>>>
>>> "Possible BIOS failure". Did you try to update the BIOS?
>>>
>>> We have been seeing a lot of these going belly up after only a few uses.
>>> Something goes fooey in the BIOS.
>>> Call Dell. If it's only 2 weeks it's still under warranty. You can
>>> exchange it (they might want to do this) or get it repaired on site. I
>>> would go with on site, since you will most likely be getting a REFURBISHED
>>> board which will have had this issue resolved!
>>>

>>
>> I'd say it happened twice already, in the first week or so after it
>> was received but seems to run ok now. There haven't been any
>> issues since.
>>
>> Didn't try to update the BIOS. Will that resolve the issue?
>>
>>
>> -Ed

>
>
> You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if it decides
> to hiccup while performing the upgrade.
>
> But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I saw this a
> lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If the BIOS
> corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back up the
> important stuff!


i would not suggest updating the bios on a machine that is under
warranty unless you are instructed to do so by dell tech support. if
the update fails then dell will do some finger pointing.
you say it gets stuck on boot and you also say it has only happened a
couple of times. so i am guessing that you are saying that this has
been only an occasional issue. and you say it has not happened to other
similar machines. have you considered what you might have connected to
this particular machine that you don't have connected to the others?
for instance, a hp all-in-one usb printer that happens to have a memory
card reader built in? it may be trying to boot from that device (or
something similar) and failing or just taking a very long time, longer
than a person is typically willing to wait. call dell or chat with
online support for suggestions on how to proceed. if there is a
widespread problem with this model they will know about it and you will
have the issue on file with them from very early on which will help with
out of warranty repair down the road if they do indeed have some sort of
endemic problem.
 
Reply With Quote
 
maps@bkwds.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2011, 12:07 AM
On Fri, 27 May 2011 12:38:31 -0400, Christopher Muto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/27/2011 12:59 AM, Hachiroku ???? wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ????<(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>> On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when booting up.
>>>>> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it gets stuck
>>>>> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone might be
>>>>> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -Ed

>>
>> You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if it decides
>> to hiccup while performing the upgrade.
>>
>> But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I saw this a
>> lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If the BIOS
>> corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back up the
>> important stuff!

>
>i would not suggest updating the bios on a machine that is under
>warranty unless you are instructed to do so by dell tech support. if
>the update fails then dell will do some finger pointing.
>you say it gets stuck on boot and you also say it has only happened a
>couple of times. so i am guessing that you are saying that this has
>been only an occasional issue. and you say it has not happened to other
>similar machines. have you considered what you might have connected to
>this particular machine that you don't have connected to the others?
>for instance, a hp all-in-one usb printer that happens to have a memory
>card reader built in? it may be trying to boot from that device (or
>something similar) and failing or just taking a very long time, longer
>than a person is typically willing to wait. call dell or chat with
>online support for suggestions on how to proceed. if there is a
>widespread problem with this model they will know about it and you will
>have the issue on file with them from very early on which will help with
>out of warranty repair down the road if they do indeed have some sort of
>endemic problem.


It happened again this afternoon, the freeze at the BOIS screen with
the #4 lamp lit on the front panel.. after which I got a scary message
after typing in my Win password: "user service failed to load profile"

There are no other XE machines, just this one. What is connected is a
NetGear WG111v2 wireless adapter plugged into a USB port. I bought the
machine from a Dell authorized seller in KC, Kansas and the Service
Tag says it was built in Feb 2011, so that is weird. Is it NOS (new
old stock) or did they buy a bunch of defects? The price was > 200
off the Dell website price. This seller is legit because I bought from
them before. It's time to call them on Monday morning.

Yes all my `stuff is backed up to a MyBook using SyncBack SE.

-Ed


 
Reply With Quote
 
mTk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-01-2011, 03:03 PM

Any updates on this?

I have about 60 Optiplex XEs that sporadically have this issue. I a
still waiting on a solution from Dell. The symptoms are what yo
describe. The screen that it always hangs on for me is the Intel Matri
Storage Manager ICH10R. It hangs in the same place regardless of th
SATA settings in the BIOS.

My machines are all under warranty, and are all running the current BIO
(A03) and current Intel drivers. Dell has sent me replacement syste
boards, Hard drives, and power supplies, none have fixed the issue.

If they actually come up with a fix, I'll be sure to post.


(E-Mail Removed);1293329 Wrote:
> On Fri, 27 May 2011 12:38:31 -0400, Christopher Muto
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >On 5/27/2011 12:59 AM, Hachiroku ???? wrote:
> >> On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:44:28 -0700, maps wrote:
> >>
> >>> On Tue, 24 May 2011 20:48:51 -0500, Hachiroku ????<(E-Mail Removed)>
> >>> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> On Sun, 22 May 2011 08:22:23 -0700, maps wrote:
> >>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> My new Optiplex XE is getting stuck at the BIOS menu when bootin

> up.
> >>>>> There are illuminated numbers on the front, 1 2 3 4 and it get

> stuck
> >>>>> on "4". I know of a table in the manual, but though someone migh

> be
> >>>>> able to explain what could be causing it. It's only 2 weeks old.
> >>>>>
> >>>>>
> >>>>> -Ed
> >>
> >> You can try..the worst it can do is totally munge the BIOS if i

> decides
> >> to hiccup while performing the upgrade.
> >>
> >> But this sounds like a more serious failure, and as I said, I sa

> this a
> >> lot on these units. How long did you get the warranty for? If th

> BIOS
> >> corrupts, you *shouldn't* lose any data, but of course, you back u

> the
> >> important stuff!

> >
> >i would not suggest updating the bios on a machine that is under
> >warranty unless you are instructed to do so by dell tech support. if
> >the update fails then dell will do some finger pointing.
> >you say it gets stuck on boot and you also say it has only happened a
> >couple of times. so i am guessing that you are saying that this has
> >been only an occasional issue. and you say it has not happened to othe

>
> >similar machines. have you considered what you might have connected t

>
> >this particular machine that you don't have connected to the others?
> >for instance, a hp all-in-one usb printer that happens to have a memor

>
> >card reader built in? it may be trying to boot from that device (or
> >something similar) and failing or just taking a very long time, longe

>
> >than a person is typically willing to wait. call dell or chat with
> >online support for suggestions on how to proceed. if there is a
> >widespread problem with this model they will know about it and you wil

>
> >have the issue on file with them from very early on which will hel

> with
> >out of warranty repair down the road if they do indeed have some sor

> of
> >endemic problem.

>
> It happened again this afternoon, the freeze at the BOIS screen with
> the #4 lamp lit on the front panel.. after which I got a scary message
> after typing in my Win password: "user service failed to load profile"
>
> There are no other XE machines, just this one. What is connected is a
> NetGear WG111v2 wireless adapter plugged into a USB port. I bought the
> machine from a Dell authorized seller in KC, Kansas and the Service
> Tag says it was built in Feb 2011, so that is weird. Is it NOS (new
> old stock) or did they buy a bunch of defects? The price was > 200
> off the Dell website price. This seller is legit because I bought from
> them before. It's time to call them on Monday morning.
>
> Yes all my `stuff is backed up to a MyBook using SyncBack SE.
>
> -E



 
Reply With Quote
 
mTk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2011, 03:29 PM

After a few weeks of slow email back and forth with Dell I am shippin
them an XE today to troubleshoot. We'll see what comes of it..

M


 
Reply With Quote
 
mTk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-28-2011, 02:24 PM

Dell has confirmed an issue with the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, an
is still working on it

M


 
Reply With Quote
 
mTk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-19-2012, 09:07 PM

It ended up actually being the power supplies. I guess there are tw
manufacturers that make them. One brand is faulty, the other (Samsung
actually works and prevents the problems from occurring, at least in al
of my cases. Dell is replacing all of my power supplies, however the
are currently on back order. The pic below is of the GOOD power supply

[image
http://www.picvalley.net/u/1697/3339...DEFmttO3q8.JPG


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying to repair techman41973@yahoo.com Laptops 56 08-06-2007 06:52 PM
New ATI vid card and gets stuck in power saving mode/ adamtingley@gmail.com ATI 0 09-27-2006 01:58 AM
CPU fan gets stuck on high Walter Williams PC Hardware 2 03-01-2006 04:49 AM
CPU fan gets stuck on high Walter Williams Motherboards 2 03-01-2006 04:49 AM
P4S533-E fan gets stuck on HIGH ! ?? John . Asus 0 11-30-2003 10:20 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment