Optiplex XE blurry fonts/screen

maps@bkwds.com

Over the weekend I switched from an older Optiplex running Win2k with
a low-profile nVidia Riva graphics card to the NEW Optiplex XE running
Win7 Pro and integrated Intel video chipset. The fonts are awfully
blurry both in ClearType mode and with it disabled. The fixed-pitch
characters aren't too bad but the TTFonts (variable-pitch) are crap.

What's causing this? and what can be done to solve? The SyncMaster
931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

-Ed

Christopher Muto

> Over the weekend I switched from an older Optiplex running Win2k with
> a low-profile nVidia Riva graphics card to the NEW Optiplex XE running
> Win7 Pro and integrated Intel video chipset. The fonts are awfully
> blurry both in ClearType mode and with it disabled. The fixed-pitch
> characters aren't too bad but the TTFonts (variable-pitch) are crap.
>
> What's causing this? and what can be done to solve? The SyncMaster
> 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.
>

> -Ed

given your incomplete description of the problem one can only guess.
my guess' would include:
-the display driver is set to the wrong resolution for your monitor. it
should be set to 1280x1024 which is the native resolution of the samsung
931bf.
-you may have had previously connected the monitor to the old computer
with the dvi port and now you are connecting the monitor to the new
computer via the vga port
-you installed the windows 7 os on the system and have yet to install
the chipset and video drivers.

maps@bkwds.com

On Mon, 16 May 2011 23:29:02 -0400, Christopher Muto
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 5/16/2011 10:08 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Over the weekend I switched from an older Optiplex running Win2k with
>> a low-profile nVidia Riva graphics card to the NEW Optiplex XE running
>> Win7 Pro and integrated Intel video chipset. The fonts are awfully
>> blurry both in ClearType mode and with it disabled. The fixed-pitch
>> characters aren't too bad but the TTFonts (variable-pitch) are crap.
>>
>> What's causing this? and what can be done to solve? The SyncMaster
>> 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.
>>

>given your incomplete description of the problem one can only guess.
>my guess' would include:
>-the display driver is set to the wrong resolution for your monitor. it
>should be set to 1280x1024 which is the native resolution of the samsung
>931bf.
>-you may have had previously connected the monitor to the old computer
>with the dvi port and now you are connecting the monitor to the new
>computer via the vga port
>-you installed the windows 7 os on the system and have yet to install
>the chipset and video drivers.

Thanks for the reply. The 931 is indeed running at the native
1280x1024 resolution. It's the same monitor connected with the same
analog cable. It was running on a DVI cable in the past but not
recently. I've downloaded new drivers from Dell and they may be
improved by the answer is to type "appearance" in the RUN field and
unckeck "use styles on windows and button" unckeck "show shadows" and
uncheck "smooth edges of screen fonts."

-Ed

William R. Walsh

Hi!

> What's causing this? *and what can be done to solve? *The SyncMaster
> 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

What refresh rate are you running? Your LCD panel is probably happiest
at 60Hz and some (older) Samsung panels will display things somewhat
blurrily if you are running a refresh rate higher than 60Hz.

Are the connections between computer, monitor and signal cable all
good. Check to see that none have pulled or worked loose, as I've seen
this cause blurred video in some cases.

Have you pressed the "auto adjust" button on the display? If you are
feeding it an analog VGA signal and change computers, the
characteristics of that signal can be slightly different. This will
cause the settings "learned" by the monitor to be incorrect. Fill your
screen with text (a maximized web browser window works well for this)
and press the AUTO button. It could help.

William

maps@bkwds.com

On Fri, 20 May 2011 07:46:41 -0700 (PDT), "William R. Walsh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>> What's causing this? *and what can be done to solve? *The SyncMaster
>> 931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

>What refresh rate are you running? Your LCD panel is probably happiest
>at 60Hz and some (older) Samsung panels will display things somewhat
>blurrily if you are running a refresh rate higher than 60Hz.
>
>Are the connections between computer, monitor and signal cable all
>good. Check to see that none have pulled or worked loose, as I've seen
>this cause blurred video in some cases.
>
>Have you pressed the "auto adjust" button on the display? If you are
>feeding it an analog VGA signal and change computers, the
>characteristics of that signal can be slightly different. This will
>cause the settings "learned" by the monitor to be incorrect. Fill your
>screen with text (a maximized web browser window works well for this)
>and press the AUTO button. It could help.

Auto Adjust appears to have solved the problem, and yes the refresh
was set at 60 Hz. Let's run it for a day or two and see if it's back
to normal!! )