OS X Server: Create mirrored RAID set from existing drive and new drive?

dmcheng1@yahoo.com

Hello. I have a PowerMac G3 running OS X Server 10.4.7. There is an
80GB ATA boot hard drive and a SATA card and two 250GB SATA drives.
One SATA drive is existing and has data on it; I just installed the
second one because I want to mirror the 1st drive onto the 2nd one.

My questions are: how do I do it? When I try to create a RAID set in
the Disk Utility GUI, it says all data will be destroyed. I cancelled
that.

So I tried diskutil enableRAID mirror disk1, which told me I could only
mirror volumes.

The volume name is RAID, so I tried diskutil enableRAID mirror
/Volumes/RAID which gave me an error "Error enabling disk to RAID Could
not unmount disk (-10000)"

When I unmounted the disk, I still got the same error.

When I tried diskutil verifyVolume disk1, I got an error "Error (-9958)
encountered attempting to verify/repair disk1"

Do I need to run diskutil under sudo? It's not clear from the
documentation. Do I need to change a jumper on the new SATA drive? Do
I have the right file system (Apple_HFS)? Should I be using other RAID
commands under diskutil to create the mirrored set?

Thanks in advance
David

Find out the model name of existing and not any more existing physical DVD drives? Timo Price PC Hardware 0 04-24-2009 07:33 AM
Mirrored RAID set DGD Asus 4 12-28-2008 08:46 PM
Breaking a Mirrored Set... Jason HP 3 01-08-2007 09:31 PM
Abit AN7 - replacing defective sata hard drive - mirrored RAID jbear Abit 1 03-03-2006 10:50 PM
Installing X11 over a -no longer existing!- Existing X11 install JohanvanderMeer@gmail.com Apple 1 02-15-2006 04:14 PM