OT: Best New Laser Printer to Buy

David T. Ashley

What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?

My story: I bought an HP LaserJet 4 in approximately 1992 and put it to
medium-volume use. After about 8 years, it started having paper feed
problems. I applied some roller renewing chemical to the rubber rollers,
which lasted about a year before the paper feed problems reappeared. Then,
I ordered a kit of new rollers for $49.00 from a place online--it required a
bit of surgery to get them all installed, but now the printer is going
strong for several years now with new rollers.

I've noticed that the LaserJet 4 parts chain is still going strong, and I
can at this point order anything I want. But sooner or later, something
will break and the parts chain will dry up.

Is HP making any decent "workhorse" printers these days? Shamefully, I'm
looking for something that will last me another 15 years after I buy it.

Constraints for me:

a)High volume toner cartridges (I need several thousand sheets of paper
between changes). (No inkjet or other technologies that are a hassle.)

b)Must work with LaTeX, GhostScript, and other serious tecchie applications.

c)Would be nice if it were directly connectable to an Ethernet network (so I
don't need to turn my big computer on to share the printer with my laptop).

d)Color not required an in fact not really desired.

HP is turning out so many printers these days ... it is hard for me to
differentiate the workhorses from ones that aren't as well built.

Thanks for any input.
David T. Ashley ((E-Mail Removed))
http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)
http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page)
http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)

Craig Ruff

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
David T. Ashley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?

The LaserJet 1200n would appear to meet your criteria, but I don't know
if they still sell them. I've printed documentation with manual double
sided printing, and my wife, who is a graphics designer ran quite a bit
of stuff through it while she was in school. The Ethernet connection
is a additional small Ethernet-USB brick, but it works well. We get
3000+ pages from a cartridge, supposedly up to 20 ppm. We use it from
both Linux and Mac OS X.

zzbunker@netscape.net

David T. Ashley wrote:
> What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?
>
> My story: I bought an HP LaserJet 4 in approximately 1992 and put it to
> medium-volume use. After about 8 years, it started having paper feed
> problems. I applied some roller renewing chemical to the rubber rollers,
> which lasted about a year before the paper feed problems reappeared. Then,
> I ordered a kit of new rollers for $49.00 from a place online--it required a
> bit of surgery to get them all installed, but now the printer is going
> strong for several years now with new rollers.
>
> I've noticed that the LaserJet 4 parts chain is still going strong, and I
> can at this point order anything I want. But sooner or later, something
> will break and the parts chain will dry up.
>
> Is HP making any decent "workhorse" printers these days? Shamefully, I'm
> looking for something that will last me another 15 years after I buy it.

Yes, but HP is like everything else out of idiot silicon valley
anymore,
It's not a question of whether they will work in five years,
it's a question of whether Wal-Mart is going to
sell them in 5 years.

> Constraints for me:
>
> a)High volume toner cartridges (I need several thousand sheets of paper
> between changes). (No inkjet or other technologies that are a hassle.)
>
> b)Must work with LaTeX, GhostScript, and other serious tecchie applications.
>
> c)Would be nice if it were directly connectable to an Ethernet network (so I
> don't need to turn my big computer on to share the printer with my laptop).
>
> d)Color not required an in fact not really desired.
>
> HP is turning out so many printers these days ... it is hard for me to
> differentiate the workhorses from ones that aren't as well built.
>
> Thanks for any input.
> David T. Ashley ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)
> http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page)
> http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)

CBFalconer

Craig Ruff wrote:
> David T. Ashley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?

> The LaserJet 1200n would appear to meet your criteria, but I don't
> know if they still sell them. I've printed documentation with
> manual double sided printing, and my wife, who is a graphics
> designer ran quite a bit of stuff through it while she was in
> school. The Ethernet connection is a additional small Ethernet-USB
> brick, but it works well. We get 3000+ pages from a cartridge,
> supposedly up to 20 ppm. We use it from both Linux and Mac OS X.

About 2000 I bought a Samsung ML 4500 for USD 199. It's still
going strong, and on its second cartridge (the first was the
original underfilled one). I estimate that it has processed about
a box of paper. For two sided printing you have to be careful,
especially let the paper cool before refeeding it. I interpose the
fineprint (fineprint.com) module, so I can make arbitrary booklets,
paper sizes, etc.

Joyeux Noel, Bonne Annee.
<http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

Christian Walter

David T. Ashley wrote:
> What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?
>
> My story: I bought an HP LaserJet 4 in approximately 1992 and put it to
> medium-volume use. After about 8 years, it started having paper feed
> problems. I applied some roller renewing chemical to the rubber rollers,
> which lasted about a year before the paper feed problems reappeared. Then,
> I ordered a kit of new rollers for $49.00 from a place online--it required a
> bit of surgery to get them all installed, but now the printer is going
> strong for several years now with new rollers.
>
> I've noticed that the LaserJet 4 parts chain is still going strong, and I
> can at this point order anything I want. But sooner or later, something
> will break and the parts chain will dry up.
>
> Is HP making any decent "workhorse" printers these days? Shamefully, I'm
> looking for something that will last me another 15 years after I buy it.
>
> Constraints for me:
>
> a)High volume toner cartridges (I need several thousand sheets of paper
> between changes). (No inkjet or other technologies that are a hassle.)
>
> b)Must work with LaTeX, GhostScript, and other serious tecchie applications.
>
> c)Would be nice if it were directly connectable to an Ethernet network (so I
> don't need to turn my big computer on to share the printer with my laptop).

Hello,

I bought a HP Laserjet 1320 about 1 1/2 half year ago and in fact it was
the best buy I every made. I supports postscript and therefore is an
excellent choice for Unix operating systems. The windows drivers are
also great and I have also used them for advanced technical drawings
(autocad, ...). Regarding the cartridges I am very happy with it but
have to admit that I did not count the number of pages I have printed.

I have not tried the 1320TN series but they should be network ready and
therefore should be a good choice. Maybe you can get one on Ebay because
I think they have been EOLd by HP.

> d)Color not required an in fact not really desired.
>
> HP is turning out so many printers these days ... it is hard for me to
> differentiate the workhorses from ones that aren't as well built.

Kind regards,
Christian

PS: I had the same problems with a Laserjet 1100 and the reason for the
printing problems where some manufacturing errors from HP. Sadly I
missed the time frame when the replacement parts where available and so
I had to buy a new one.

> Thanks for any input.
> David T. Ashley ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)
> http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page)
> http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)

Joerg

Hello David,

I went to a Brother Multi Function Center (MFC7820N) that is hooked to
the LAN. Works great so far but manual double sided printing would be a
pain. Also, it "forgets" its IP address once in a while but a power
cycle fixes this. I really like printers on the LAN since they can be
accessed by anyone.

Ask Jim Thompson on sci.electronics.design. He bought an HP workhorse
that can do automatic double-sided printing and is reasonable in toner
costs. Probably more reasonable than the Brother I have here. IIRC Jim
bought the HP1320.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Joerg

Christian Walter wrote:

> David T. Ashley wrote:
>
>> What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?
>>
>> My story: I bought an HP LaserJet 4 in approximately 1992 and put it
>> to medium-volume use. After about 8 years, it started having paper
>> feed problems. I applied some roller renewing chemical to the rubber
>> rollers, which lasted about a year before the paper feed problems
>> reappeared. Then, I ordered a kit of new rollers for $49.00 from a
>> place online--it required a bit of surgery to get them all installed,
>> but now the printer is going strong for several years now with new
>> rollers.
>>
>> I've noticed that the LaserJet 4 parts chain is still going strong,
>> and I can at this point order anything I want. But sooner or later,
>> something will break and the parts chain will dry up.
>>
>> Is HP making any decent "workhorse" printers these days? Shamefully,
>> I'm looking for something that will last me another 15 years after I
>> buy it.
>>
>> Constraints for me:
>>
>> a)High volume toner cartridges (I need several thousand sheets of
>> paper between changes). (No inkjet or other technologies that are a
>> hassle.)
>>
>> b)Must work with LaTeX, GhostScript, and other serious tecchie
>> applications.
>>
>> c)Would be nice if it were directly connectable to an Ethernet network
>> (so I don't need to turn my big computer on to share the printer with
>> my laptop).

> Hello,
>
> I bought a HP Laserjet 1320 about 1 1/2 half year ago and in fact it was
> the best buy I every made. I supports postscript and therefore is an
> excellent choice for Unix operating systems. The windows drivers are
> also great and I have also used them for advanced technical drawings
> (autocad, ...). Regarding the cartridges I am very happy with it but
> have to admit that I did not count the number of pages I have printed.
>
> I have not tried the 1320TN series but they should be network ready and
> therefore should be a good choice. Maybe you can get one on Ebay because
> I think they have been EOLd by HP.
>
>> d)Color not required an in fact not really desired.
>>
>> HP is turning out so many printers these days ... it is hard for me to
>> differentiate the workhorses from ones that aren't as well built.

> Kind regards,
> Christian
>
> PS: I had the same problems with a Laserjet 1100 and the reason for the
> printing problems where some manufacturing errors from HP. Sadly I
> missed the time frame when the replacement parts where available and so
> I had to buy a new one.

For the HP5L out here I got the improvement kit. IIRC it was some kind
of drying or aging of a part at the bottom of the paper stack (not any
rollers). At least that's where the new part had to be glued onto via a
hard cardboard push. The main problem with those printers was that they
pulled in several sheets without that fix and this caused the jams in my
case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

David T. Ashley

"Christian Walter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:newscache$42a4bj$oe2$(E-Mail Removed)...

> PS: I had the same problems with a Laserjet 1100 and the reason for the
> printing problems where some manufacturing errors from HP. Sadly I missed
> the time frame when the replacement parts where available and so I had to
> buy a new one.

Yeah, that's my concern exactly. The problem is, I want to pick a workhorse
where parts will be available for 15 years.

Frankly, my LJ4 is just fine and I'd keep it forever if that were possible.
It doesn't print as fast as a more modern printer (its little 1992 CPU
probably can't work as fast as the new ones), but it is just fine.

And the "just fine" argument could be made if I find a replacement
workhorse. I can't imagine that printers in 15 years will be better than
they are today in any meaningful way. Once you add color and if it sits
directly on a network ... what else could you do to add value? (nothing
that I can see).

Problem is knowing production volumes, meaningful measures of quality, and
what the parts chain will do. I don't know how to predict that.

P.S.--According to www.printerworks.com, there are still some parts
available for the 1100 series. The chain looks fairly complete.

For example:

http://www.printerworks.com/Catalogs...Component.html

Dave.

Stephen Montgomery-Smith

David T. Ashley wrote:
> What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?
>
> My story: I bought an HP LaserJet 4 in approximately 1992 and put it to
> medium-volume use. After about 8 years, it started having paper feed
> problems. I applied some roller renewing chemical to the rubber rollers,
> which lasted about a year before the paper feed problems reappeared. Then,
> I ordered a kit of new rollers for $49.00 from a place online--it required a
> bit of surgery to get them all installed, but now the printer is going
> strong for several years now with new rollers.
>
> I've noticed that the LaserJet 4 parts chain is still going strong, and I
> can at this point order anything I want. But sooner or later, something
> will break and the parts chain will dry up.
>
> Is HP making any decent "workhorse" printers these days? Shamefully, I'm
> looking for something that will last me another 15 years after I buy it.
>
> Constraints for me:
>
> a)High volume toner cartridges (I need several thousand sheets of paper
> between changes). (No inkjet or other technologies that are a hassle.)
>
> b)Must work with LaTeX, GhostScript, and other serious tecchie applications.
>
> c)Would be nice if it were directly connectable to an Ethernet network (so I
> don't need to turn my big computer on to share the printer with my laptop).
>
> d)Color not required an in fact not really desired.
>
> HP is turning out so many printers these days ... it is hard for me to
> differentiate the workhorses from ones that aren't as well built.
>
> Thanks for any input.
> David T. Ashley ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)
> http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page)
> http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)

I have had such good experiences with HP printers that I don't bother
look anywhere else these days. Even the non-workhorse printers (cheapo
inkjets etc) are well built. So my feeling is that if the HP website
advertises a printer as a workhorse, then it is really a workhorse.

I just got a new Laserjet 1320d at my workplace. I haven't had it long,
so it is hard to really comment on its longevity, but so far it looks
really nice.

And even my super cheapo HP inkjet at home has no problem with Latex,
ghostscript, etc. So that isn't even an issue.

Finally, if you are using unix, the HP drivers, like hpijs, are really
outstanding. You really don't need a printer that has postscript
natively built in. Just make sure that it is not "windows only."

Mark Borgerson

In article <D9Glh.333222$1i1.238690@attbi_s72>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> David T. Ashley wrote:
> > What is the best new laser printer to buy (for tecchie home use)?
> >
> > My story: I bought an HP LaserJet 4 in approximately 1992 and put it to
> > medium-volume use. After about 8 years, it started having paper feed
> > problems. I applied some roller renewing chemical to the rubber rollers,
> > which lasted about a year before the paper feed problems reappeared. Then,
> > I ordered a kit of new rollers for $49.00 from a place online--it required a
> > bit of surgery to get them all installed, but now the printer is going
> > strong for several years now with new rollers.
> >
> > I've noticed that the LaserJet 4 parts chain is still going strong, and I
> > can at this point order anything I want. But sooner or later, something
> > will break and the parts chain will dry up.
> >
> > Is HP making any decent "workhorse" printers these days? Shamefully, I'm
> > looking for something that will last me another 15 years after I buy it.
> >
> > Constraints for me:
> >
> > a)High volume toner cartridges (I need several thousand sheets of paper
> > between changes). (No inkjet or other technologies that are a hassle.)
> >
> > b)Must work with LaTeX, GhostScript, and other serious tecchie applications.
> >
> > c)Would be nice if it were directly connectable to an Ethernet network (so I
> > don't need to turn my big computer on to share the printer with my laptop).
> >
> > d)Color not required an in fact not really desired.
> >
> > HP is turning out so many printers these days ... it is hard for me to
> > differentiate the workhorses from ones that aren't as well built.
> >
> > Thanks for any input.
> > David T. Ashley ((E-Mail Removed))
> > http://www.e3ft.com (Consulting Home Page)
> > http://www.dtashley.com (Personal Home Page)
> > http://gpl.e3ft.com (GPL Publications and Projects)

> I have had such good experiences with HP printers that I don't bother
> look anywhere else these days. Even the non-workhorse printers (cheapo
> inkjets etc) are well built. So my feeling is that if the HP website
> advertises a printer as a workhorse, then it is really a workhorse.
>
> I just got a new Laserjet 1320d at my workplace. I haven't had it long,
> so it is hard to really comment on its longevity, but so far it looks
> really nice.
>
> And even my super cheapo HP inkjet at home has no problem with Latex,
> ghostscript, etc. So that isn't even an issue.
>
> Finally, if you are using unix, the HP drivers, like hpijs, are really
> outstanding. You really don't need a printer that has postscript
> natively built in. Just make sure that it is not "windows only."

I've got an HP 2200D that I've had for about 3 years and it's on its
2nd cartridge. It has auto duplexing and has worked without a
hitch through at about 4000 pages. IIRC it was on sale at Staples
at the time for about $495. A month or so later, toner carts were
on sale and I got two for about $50 each. I still have one left
untouched in the garage.

With lower-cost laser printers now at less than $200, it may be
appropriate to simply buy two or three and toner when it's on
sale, then just hope each printer lasts 4 or five years.

Mark Borgerson