OT: How big is Apple ?

JF Mezei

http://www.coolinfographics.com/blog...-is-apple.html

This puts many of the numbers used to measure Apple in perspective.
(such as Comparing Apple's sales to GDP of many countries and the
largest US corps).

Király

JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> This puts many of the numbers used to measure Apple in perspective.
> (such as Comparing Apple's sales to GDP of many countries and the
> largest US corps).

I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
Sri Lanka.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Dan Becker

In article <jq9cr2$ac5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Király <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
> I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
> Sri Lanka.

Feh. Whoever put the graphic together is a designer, not a
cartographer. I wouldn't ding it on that account, but the lack of
sources for the data is my issue.

David Empson

Dan Becker <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <jq9cr2$ac5$(E-Mail Removed)>, Király <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
> > I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
> > Sri Lanka.

> Feh. Whoever put the graphic together is a designer, not a
> cartographer. I wouldn't ding it on that account, but the lack of
> sources for the data is my issue.

Some of the numbers I can verify seem dubious, which brings the whole
thing into question.

The claimed number of iOS devices since 2008 (200 million) is too low.
Apple reported "total iOS devices" of 220 million as of mid 2011.
Apple's latest reported figure was 365 million (as of the quarter ending
March 2012). Excluding iOS devices sold until the end of 2008 would
reduce both figures by 30 million.

If the figure is actually just iPhones, it might be right. A total of
218 million sold up to the quarter ending March 2012, less 17 million
sold until the end of 2008, gives about 200 million.

Also re the Eiffel Tower comparison: 72 million iPhones is how many
Apple sold in their fiscal 2011 year (ending September 2011). In
calendar 2011, Apple sold 93 million iPhones.

That figure at least points to the graphic being created no earlier than
late October 2011.

--
David Empson
(E-Mail Removed)

Dave Allen

In article <1kl0ra5.8xi3en1n55066N%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (David Empson) wrote:

> Also re the Eiffel Tower comparison: 72 million iPhones is how many
> Apple sold in their fiscal 2011 year (ending September 2011). In
> calendar 2011, Apple sold 93 million iPhones.

It's clear that Apple needs to make the next iPhone twice as heavy, so
that only half as many sales will be required in order to reach the
weight of the Eiffel Tower.
--
Dave

Cliff Huylebroeck

I'm not impressed by all those numbers.

No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
not with all the numbers in the world.

Remember also, there will be around 2020
an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
Those people will sue companies like Apple
for damages.

Then we will see real big numbers.

--
www.hearingvoices-is-voicetoskull.com

Michelle Steiner

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Cliff Huylebroeck) wrote:

> Remember also, there will be around 2020 an epidemic of brain tumors
> caused by mobile phones.

No there won't.

--
Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Cliff Huylebroeck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm not impressed by all those numbers.
>
> No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
> not with all the numbers in the world.
>
> Remember also, there will be around 2020
> an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
> Those people will sue companies like Apple
> for damages.
>
> Then we will see real big numbers.

what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.

Davoud

Király:
> I'm too lazy to verify the numbers on that page with other sources, but
> I'm hesitant to accept them at face value when they label Madagascar as
> Sri Lanka.

Sheesh! Never heard of plate tectonics--movement of the Earth's crust?
It's called Madalanka now.

As for Apple's size, when it get's too big--and I'll decide what "too
big" means for me--I'll jump ship for little Microsoft.

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

Helpful Harry

In article <010620121339473666%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Cliff Huylebroeck
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not impressed by all those numbers.
> >
> > No one could convince me to buy a telephone,
> > not with all the numbers in the world.
> >
> > Remember also, there will be around 2020
> > an epidemic of brain tumors caused by mobile phones.
> > Those people will sue companies like Apple
> > for damages.
> >
> > Then we will see real big numbers.

> what's magical about 2020? cellphones have been around for about 30
> years, and if this was really a problem, there would have been an
> increase in tumors already. there hasn't been.

Like Climate Change, tThat depends on which manipulated statistics and
bunch of extremists you believe.

There apparently HAS been an increase in brain tumors (especially in young
people), but whether that's due to mobile phone use or simply the
ever-growing use of electronics, broadcast signals for TV, wireless
networking, alterations to food, the ozone hole, etc., etc. is impossible
(as well as pointless) to actually define.

Helpful Harry )