OT: Biostar M7NCG400 & 2400-M multiplier problem

KOzOK

Hey guys, just build cheap amd box. Not looking to overclock it just need
cool, quiet system to run 24/7. Googling didnt shed much light on this,
that is why I'm posting here.
Biostar M7NCG400 ver.7.2, 2400-M 35W, PDP ram PC3200 2x256. Problem is
maximum multiplier I can select in BIOS is 12.5x. When set to "default"
motherboard sets it @ 6x. I'm currently running 12.5x133 (1666Mhz),
everything is nice and stable, XP installed no problem. Flashing BIOS didnt
help. There are no jumpers on the motherboard for setting mp. that I can
see.
CPU-Z shows following info:
AMD Athlon XP-M
Code Name: Barton
Family:6 Model:A Stepping:0
Ext. Family:7 Ext. Model:A

Chip itself is labeled:
AXMD2400FJQ4C Z388473A40200
IQYHA 0402 SPMQ

In the past I only build Intel system, so I have no idea if this chip really
is 2400+. Can any1 point me to a chart or ID prog that would clarify this?
Temps reported with MBM 5 are 29C idle 34-35 full load. I could bump the
vcore up and run this sucker @ 166, but would preffer to have it running
cooler.

TIA,

KOzOK

Michael Brown

KOzOK wrote:
> Hey guys, just build cheap amd box. Not looking to overclock it just
> need cool, quiet system to run 24/7. Googling didnt shed much light
> on this, that is why I'm posting here.
> Biostar M7NCG400 ver.7.2, 2400-M 35W, PDP ram PC3200 2x256. Problem
> is maximum multiplier I can select in BIOS is 12.5x. When set to
> "default" motherboard sets it @ 6x. I'm currently running 12.5x133
> (1666Mhz), everything is nice and stable, XP installed no problem.
> Flashing BIOS didnt help. There are no jumpers on the motherboard
> for setting mp. that I can see.
> CPU-Z shows following info:
> AMD Athlon XP-M
> Code Name: Barton
> Family:6 Model:A Stepping:0
> Ext. Family:7 Ext. Model:A
>
> Chip itself is labeled:
> AXMD2400FJQ4C Z388473A40200
> IQYHA 0402 SPMQ
>
> In the past I only build Intel system, so I have no idea if this chip
> really is 2400+. Can any1 point me to a chart or ID prog that would
> clarify this?

Yup, it's definately a 35W 2400+. The "2400" string is the model number, and
the AXM***D*** indicates it's a 35W mobile.

{plug}
http://www.emboss.co.nz/products.php?pid=5
{/plug}

Now, for the actual issue at hand, how to get the chip running to it's
potential If you want to run at stock speeds, set the FSB to 200MHz and
the multiplier to 9. This should give you a very nicely performing system
without overclocking the CPU at all. Alternatively (and possibly better) is
to pinmod the chip so that it reports a default 200MHz FSB.

> Temps reported with MBM 5 are 29C idle 34-35 full load.
> I could bump the vcore up and run this sucker @ 166, but would
> preffer to have it running cooler.

What's the vcore currently set to? The default vcore for it is 1.35V, so you
should only require that much to get it running at 1.8GHz. In any case, you
have enough flexibility in the multiplier selection (at a 200MHz FSB) to get
you to 2.5GHz, so if you're going to be running at close-to-stock voltages
then you shouildn't have a problem finding the temperature/performance sweet
spot.

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more

KOzOK

"Michael Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BK65d.6365$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yup, it's definately a 35W 2400+. The "2400" string is the model number,

and
> the AXM***D*** indicates it's a 35W mobile.
>
> {plug}
> http://www.emboss.co.nz/products.php?pid=5

Thanky sir. Exacly what I was looking for. Nifty little prog I like it.

> {/plug}
>
> Now, for the actual issue at hand, how to get the chip running to it's
> potential If you want to run at stock speeds, set the FSB to 200MHz and
> the multiplier to 9. This should give you a very nicely performing system
> without overclocking the CPU at all. Alternatively (and possibly better)

is
> to pinmod the chip so that it reports a default 200MHz FSB.
> > Temps reported with MBM 5 are 29C idle 34-35 full load.
> > I could bump the vcore up and run this sucker @ 166, but would
> > preffer to have it running cooler.

> What's the vcore currently set to? The default vcore for it is 1.35V, so

you
> should only require that much to get it running at 1.8GHz. In any case,

you
> have enough flexibility in the multiplier selection (at a 200MHz FSB) to

get
> you to 2.5GHz, so if you're going to be running at close-to-stock voltages
> then you shouildn't have a problem finding the temperature/performance

sweet
> spot.

Right now vcore is set @ 1.35V, maximum preformance is not my big concern
here. This is a secondary box that will be running 24/7. I need it to run
cool and quiet. I tried it @ 12x166 1.35 Vcore seems stable under 100%
load, but temps go up to 36-38C. It crashes during windows boot @ 200FSB
but I probably need to play with RAM timings a bit. Looks like I might
leave it @ 166 FSB if it survives stress testing.