OT: cell phone used as a wifi hotspot

RnR

Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
well as just wifi capable.

BillW50

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
RnR typed on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:00:16 -0600:
> Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
> thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
> well as just wifi capable.

Excuse me? They sell cell phones that you can use solely by WiFi alone?
Sorry, but I am not up-to-date with these things. Wouldn't that be kind
of like a WiFi PDA or even like a mini netbook? And how do they work?
With VoIP or something?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Bob Levine

On 12/23/2010 8:00 PM, RnR wrote:
> Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
> thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
> well as just wifi capable.

Just got an HTC Incredible. Works great.

Note that this will drain the battery relatively quickly.

Bob

RnR

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:19:30 -0600, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In news:(E-Mail Removed),
>RnR typed on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 19:00:16 -0600:
>> Anybody have experience with a cell phone used as a wifi hotspot ? I'm
>> thinking of upgrading some phones and they have this capability as
>> well as just wifi capable.

>Excuse me? They sell cell phones that you can use solely by WiFi alone?
>Sorry, but I am not up-to-date with these things. Wouldn't that be kind
>of like a WiFi PDA or even like a mini netbook? And how do they work?
>With VoIP or something?

I'm no expert but as far as I can tell, they sorta have a router built
in but don't take my word for it without getting other replies. I'm
not the person you want to ask cell phone questions from (frankly
speaking).

BillW50

In news(E-Mail Removed) m,
Timothy Daniels typed on Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:20:49 -0800:
> Make that:
> "Cell phone connections to the Internet can be shared via Wi-Fi with
> other nearby devices by using the smartphone as a modem/wireless
> router, i.e. as a "hotspot".

Very interesting Tim.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Monica

My 2010 Ford Flex as built in USBs and a 110 power outlet. The refresh,
slated for next year, will have built in wi-fi. Some Ford models already
have it. These new cars are more computer than they are car!

news:if0u82$dia$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...