small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
order of a few milliseconds per minute.

It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
$6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?

Andrew Smallshaw

On 2012-04-23, Rob Gaddi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Figure folks here might know. I'm looking to put together a couple of
> small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
> not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
> order of a few milliseconds per minute.
>
> It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
> and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
> $6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
> quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/category/solar_1.html

Worth checking out, the cells there tend to be a bit bigger and
cost slightly more, unless you take your chances with the grab bag.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
(E-Mail Removed)

Joerg

Rob Gaddi wrote:
> Figure folks here might know. I'm looking to put together a couple of
> small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
> not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
> order of a few milliseconds per minute.
>
> It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
> and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
> $6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
> quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?

Try a few Dollar stores. Sometimes they have cheap outdoor lamps from
which those can be harvested. Of course, then you'd also end up with
some other stuff that you either have to use, give a way, or recycle.

Last time my wife was there they also had tasty chocolate.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Rich Webb

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 13:20:07 -0700, Rob Gaddi
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Figure folks here might know. I'm looking to put together a couple of
>small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
>not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
>order of a few milliseconds per minute.
>
>It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
>and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
>$6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
>quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?

Not quite that but All Electronics and BG Micro each have 6 cm square
panels that look very similar. Ratings are different but under what
conditions were the ratings made? Each under $4 each qty one.

<http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/SPL-61/SOLAR-CELL-60MM-X-60MM-X2MM/1.html>
<http://www.bgmicro.com/PWR1241.aspx>

Radio Shack has an assortment if you need one tonight ;-) Bit more
expensive but instant gratification.

<http://www.radioshack.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=solar%20panel&origkw=solar+p anel&sr=1>

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

Joerg

Rob Gaddi wrote:
> Figure folks here might know. I'm looking to put together a couple of
> small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
> not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
> order of a few milliseconds per minute.
>
> It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
> and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
> $6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
> quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?

Surplus and hobby sellers are another option:

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G16397
http://www.goldmine-elec-products.co...?number=G16715

Keep in mind that the standard cheapo cell has very little voltage so
you'll have to run a JFET oscillator and wind a li'l ferrite thingie to
get it to a useful number of volts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Don Y

Hi Joerg,

On 4/23/2012 3:30 PM, Joerg wrote:

> Keep in mind that the standard cheapo cell has very little voltage so
> you'll have to run a JFET oscillator and wind a li'l ferrite thingie to
> get it to a useful number of volts.

Ah! I've always wondered what those reference designators
on the schematic signified: LFT27, LFT13, etc.

:>

Winston

Don Y wrote:
> Hi Joerg,
>
> On 4/23/2012 3:30 PM, Joerg wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that the standard cheapo cell has very little voltage so
>> you'll have to run a JFET oscillator and wind a li'l ferrite thingie to
>> get it to a useful number of volts.

> Ah! I've always wondered what those reference designators
> on the schematic signified: LFT27, LFT13, etc.

But keep them away from the BFH*.

--Winston

--
* "Large Hitting Device"

Don Y

Hi Winston,

On 4/23/2012 4:34 PM, Winston wrote:
> Don Y wrote:
>> On 4/23/2012 3:30 PM, Joerg wrote:
>>
>>> Keep in mind that the standard cheapo cell has very little voltage so
>>> you'll have to run a JFET oscillator and wind a li'l ferrite thingie to
>>> get it to a useful number of volts.

>> Ah! I've always wondered what those reference designators
>> on the schematic signified: LFT27, LFT13, etc.

> But keep them away from the BFH*.

<grin> With many ferrites, even the "little dinky" one is just
as destructive! :<

mike

On 4/23/2012 1:35 PM, Joerg wrote:
> Rob Gaddi wrote:
>> Figure folks here might know. I'm looking to put together a couple of
>> small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
>> not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
>> order of a few milliseconds per minute.
>>
>> It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
>> and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
>> $6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
>> quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?
>>

> Try a few Dollar stores. Sometimes they have cheap outdoor lamps from
> which those can be harvested. Of course, then you'd also end up with
> some other stuff that you either have to use, give a way, or recycle.
>
> Last time my wife was there they also had tasty chocolate.

Local dollar store has lawn lights for a buck.
Contains a solar cell, rechargeable AA cell, battery charger,
upconverter for the led light.

google

QX5252
jd1803

They also have a solar powered daisy that charges up a cap
and dumps it into a coil that drives a magnet that's attached
to the daisy-swing. I've been thinking about trying to
make an up-converter out of that. The chip is a blob of epoxy,
so not much chance of finding data on it.

Joerg

mike wrote:
> On 4/23/2012 1:35 PM, Joerg wrote:
>> Rob Gaddi wrote:
>>> Figure folks here might know. I'm looking to put together a couple of
>>> small-scale projects, just for my own amusement, that would be nice to
>>> not need batteries for. Probably MSP430 based, on duty-cycles on the
>>> order of a few milliseconds per minute.
>>>
>>> It seems like I should be able to power this off of a low-leakage cap
>>> and the sorts of solar cells that they put in crappy calculators for
>>> $6.99 at the pharmacy. Does anyone know anywhere to buy small
>>> quantities of said crappy photocells for say $1 a pop?
>>>

>> Try a few Dollar stores. Sometimes they have cheap outdoor lamps from
>> which those can be harvested. Of course, then you'd also end up with
>> some other stuff that you either have to use, give a way, or recycle.
>>
>> Last time my wife was there they also had tasty chocolate.
>>

> Local dollar store has lawn lights for a buck.
> Contains a solar cell, rechargeable AA cell, battery charger,
> upconverter for the led light.
>
> google
>
> QX5252
> jd1803

Yup. Pretty useful stuff in there sometimes:

http://ynsemi.com/uploadFile/downloa...1017497441.pdf

But you have to know someone who can read Chinese :-)

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Solar equipment for notebooks =?Windows-1252?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?= Laptops 0 09-13-2006 02:59 PM
OT: Solar power Ross Marchant Embedded 5 05-23-2005 09:35 PM
Solar powered PIC Paul Embedded 0 08-24-2004 08:51 PM
Most efficent way to keep battery charged with solar panel ? Anton Erasmus Embedded 19 02-07-2004 11:03 AM
High efficiency solar cells and battery charger Huang Paxia Embedded 13 09-07-2003 07:15 PM