OT Interesting Note

Kevin Childers

Spoke to one of HPs Road Warriors today. Helped him get set-up for some
sales event on the road and what not. He (an reportedly his coworkers) are
really happy with their brand new HP laptops. No surprise there, given
every sales guy loves a new toy, but the when I asked about the OS, it
wasn't VISTA. He said all of their new laptops are using XP. Sort of makes
you wonder. Is it a commentary on the learning curve for the sales staff,
simplicity and compatibility for the IT staff, or a negative commentary on
the current state of VISTA?

HH

I've got no desire to "upgrade" fom XP on either my desktops or notebook. XP
has performed flawlessly for me from very early on. My only complaint is
about the poor security and resulting gazillion security updates that are
necessay.

HH

"Kevin Childers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sjhui.94$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spoke to one of HPs Road Warriors today. Helped him get set-up for some
> sales event on the road and what not. He (an reportedly his coworkers)
> are
> really happy with their brand new HP laptops. No surprise there, given
> every sales guy loves a new toy, but the when I asked about the OS, it
> wasn't VISTA. He said all of their new laptops are using XP. Sort of
> makes
> you wonder. Is it a commentary on the learning curve for the sales staff,
> simplicity and compatibility for the IT staff, or a negative commentary on
> the current state of VISTA?

Jez T

"Kevin Childers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sjhui.94$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Spoke to one of HPs Road Warriors today. Helped him get set-up for some
> sales event on the road and what not. He (an reportedly his coworkers)
> are
> really happy with their brand new HP laptops. No surprise there, given
> every sales guy loves a new toy, but the when I asked about the OS, it
> wasn't VISTA. He said all of their new laptops are using XP. Sort of
> makes
> you wonder. Is it a commentary on the learning curve for the sales staff,
> simplicity and compatibility for the IT staff, or a negative commentary on
> the current state of VISTA?

Upgrades to new operating systems do not happen overnight. They take a LOT
of planning and testing. It's not the fire-and-forget throw-away attitude
towards software that you can aford to have as a consumer or a small
company. None of the large corporates I deal with are using Vista yet, and
given that the applications environment is a lot more complex than it was at
the time of the last really major upgrade (Windows 2000 - XP was
comparatively simple), it could be another year or so before we start to see
widespread adoption of Vista in the corporate environment.

- Bobb -

"Jez T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ba1010$0$14245$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kevin Childers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sjhui.94$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Spoke to one of HPs Road Warriors today. Helped him get set-up for
>> some
>> sales event on the road and what not. He (an reportedly his coworkers)
>> are
>> really happy with their brand new HP laptops. No surprise there, given
>> every sales guy loves a new toy, but the when I asked about the OS, it
>> wasn't VISTA. He said all of their new laptops are using XP. Sort of
>> makes
>> you wonder. Is it a commentary on the learning curve for the sales
>> staff,
>> simplicity and compatibility for the IT staff, or a negative commentary
>> on
>> the current state of VISTA?

> Upgrades to new operating systems do not happen overnight. They take a
> LOT of planning and testing. It's not the fire-and-forget throw-away
> attitude towards software that you can aford to have as a consumer or a
> small company. None of the large corporates I deal with are using Vista
> yet, and given that the applications environment is a lot more complex
> than it was at the time of the last really major upgrade (Windows 2000 -
> XP was comparatively simple), it could be another year or so before we
> start to see widespread adoption of Vista in the corporate environment.

Agreed . When I worked at Compaq and DEC, we always had special apps that
used ... whatever the current OS was ... and any big company is not going
to jeopardize the daily routine of the personnel by being the first to
find that new bug.

Having said that, I do think that front line folks should have it on their
laptops if trying to sell it to their clients. So I would give sales folks
a Vista/XP dual boot laptop to use for sales calls if there is a feature
in Vista that would help sell laptops to potential customers. Back in the
office they could use XP again.

Jez T

"- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote
> I do think that front line folks should have it on their laptops if trying
> to sell it to their clients. So I would give sales folks a Vista/XP dual
> boot laptop to use for sales calls if there is a feature in Vista that
> would help sell laptops to potential customers. Back in the office they
> could use XP again.

Nah - Only the pre-sales technical people get let loose with that sort of
thing.

And 'ordinary' sales person can sell, but can't put on an entertaining show
while he tries to get hod demo / presentation to work.

NuT CrAcKeR

as an interesting aside, the engineers we have been getting from EMC for our
SAN projects, have until very very recently been given laptops that have
2000 pro for thier OS. In the 2 month or so, the new laptops they have been
issued are coming installed with XP.

Talk about being behind the curve ....

- LC

--

"Jez T" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46ba1010$0$14245$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Kevin Childers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:sjhui.94$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Spoke to one of HPs Road Warriors today. Helped him get set-up for some
>> sales event on the road and what not. He (an reportedly his coworkers)
>> are
>> really happy with their brand new HP laptops. No surprise there, given
>> every sales guy loves a new toy, but the when I asked about the OS, it
>> wasn't VISTA. He said all of their new laptops are using XP. Sort of
>> makes
>> you wonder. Is it a commentary on the learning curve for the sales
>> staff,
>> simplicity and compatibility for the IT staff, or a negative commentary
>> on
>> the current state of VISTA?

> Upgrades to new operating systems do not happen overnight. They take a LOT
> of planning and testing. It's not the fire-and-forget throw-away attitude
> towards software that you can aford to have as a consumer or a small
> company. None of the large corporates I deal with are using Vista yet, and
> given that the applications environment is a lot more complex than it was
> at the time of the last really major upgrade (Windows 2000 - XP was
> comparatively simple), it could be another year or so before we start to
> see widespread adoption of Vista in the corporate environment.

Ben Myers

Yes, but why spend the money on new hardware and software when the current set
of stuff meets the needs of everyone? Not all people want to be on the
bleeding edge, or need to spend to get there... Ben Myers

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:50:36 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>as an interesting aside, the engineers we have been getting from EMC for our
>SAN projects, have until very very recently been given laptops that have
>2000 pro for thier OS. In the 2 month or so, the new laptops they have been
>issued are coming installed with XP.
>
>Talk about being behind the curve ....
>
>- LC

NuT CrAcKeR

going from an OS that is 7 years old to one that is 4 years old is hardly
being on the bleeding edge. I understand and support the reluctance of
companies to go to Vista ... its been more of a PITA than anything else for
me.

- LC

--

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, but why spend the money on new hardware and software when the current
> set
> of stuff meets the needs of everyone? Not all people want to be on the
> bleeding edge, or need to spend to get there... Ben Myers
>
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:50:36 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>as an interesting aside, the engineers we have been getting from EMC for
>>our
>>SAN projects, have until very very recently been given laptops that have
>>2000 pro for thier OS. In the 2 month or so, the new laptops they have
>>been
>>issued are coming installed with XP.
>>
>>Talk about being behind the curve ....
>>
>>- LC

msg

NuT CrAcKeR wrote:

> as an interesting aside, the engineers we have been getting from EMC for
> our SAN projects, have until very very recently been given laptops that
> have 2000 pro for thier OS. In the 2 month or so, the new laptops they
> have been issued are coming installed with XP.

Indeed... The right tool for the job and all that... I have found that
for my hardware and applications mixes, Win2k pro on clients and Win2k
Server are appropriate. I use no XP whatsoever and have no interest
in the incompatible bloatware Vista.

Regards,

Michael