OT: Microsoft launches its own laptop/tablet

JF Mezei

Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

Ars Technica:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-by-windows-8/

Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8. No
mention of mobile network access.

But Microsoft admits to the advantage of designing your own hardware to
match your software, something Apple realised a long time ago.

So we have MS controlling Nokia for phones and now building its own
tablets. And it claims its Windows OS will run on all 3. Remains to be
seen how well MS can have a single os for all 3 platforms.

nospam

In article <4fdff646$0$1279$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>, JF
Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx
>
> Ars Technica:
>
> http://arstechnica.com/information-t...unveils-surfac
> e-tablet-powered-by-windows-8/
>
> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8. No
> mention of mobile network access.

the keyboard cover is a fantastic idea.

> But Microsoft admits to the advantage of designing your own hardware to
> match your software, something Apple realised a long time ago.
>
> So we have MS controlling Nokia for phones and now building its own
> tablets. And it claims its Windows OS will run on all 3. Remains to be
> seen how well MS can have a single os for all 3 platforms.

if they can pull it off they have a winner.

it will be interesting to see what google announces at google i/o next
week.

Wes Groleau

On 06-18-2012 23:53, nospam quoted/wrote:
>> >Microsoft web site:http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

>> [snip]

> the keyboard cover is a fantastic idea.

The sixth image at the URI above shows another good idea (in my opinion).

A machine that doesn't prevent a competent user from working on it.

--
Wes Groleau

“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.”
— Socrates

Lewis

In message <4fdff646$0$1279$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

> Ars Technica:
> http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-by-windows-8/

> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8.

For values of "Standard WIndows 8" that incldue "Cripple-ware Windows 8
RT Metro only."

> So we have MS controlling Nokia for phones and now building its own
> tablets. And it claims its Windows OS will run on all 3. Remains to be
> seen how well MS can have a single os for all 3 platforms.

Should go about as well as the rest of there mobile attempts, I expect.

--
@mdhughes: One of the few regrets I have about lawnless apartments:
Shallow graves are so much harder to come by.

Helpful Harry

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8.

Ahhh, you mean a "laptop" ... wow, Microsoft really is getting better,
making a laptop only a decade or so after everyone else. ;o)

Helpful Harry )

Michael Eyd

Am 19.06.2012 05:47, schrieb JF Mezei:
> Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx
>
> Ars Technica:
> http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-by-windows-8/
>

> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8.

Just one of the two presented devices will run Windows 8 (Pro). The
other one will run Windows RT, a somewhat limited (crippled?) version of
Windows 8 running on ARM CPUs. Only Metro desktop, ... And definitively
NO standard Windows applications will run on Windows RT! So much for
'running standard Windows 8'...

And for the Windows 8 (Pro) device: According to what I read here in
Germany, the price will adjust itself according to the best UltraBooks
available (or announced?) so far - and they can go well beyond 1000
(~$1250).

So what do we have? An iPad clone, with a keyboard in the cover
(something that is available for any iPad now for years), but hardly any
apps. And we have a TouchPC for a premium price - something that failed
badly on the market already several times... Might work this time though
(after devices like the iPad prepared the users), but I wouldn't bet on
it... ;-)

> No mention of mobile network access.
>
> But Microsoft admits to the advantage of designing your own hardware to
> match your software, something Apple realised a long time ago.
>
> So we have MS controlling Nokia for phones and now building its own
> tablets. And it claims its Windows OS will run on all 3. Remains to be
> seen how well MS can have a single os for all 3 platforms.

There is about as much 'Windows' in two of the three platforms as there
was for years in Windows Mobile, Pocket Windows, ... :-( Especially the
biggest advantage of the (PC) Windows platform, the vast amount of
available programs, is lost on both Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 RT.

There might be some advantages for programmers, as they will feel more
'at home' when coming from desktop programming, but not (much) more...

But let's see what MS can pull off with these devices - and whether the
big PC makers won't feel an unfair attack by MS... ;-)

Best regards,

Michael

Paul Sture

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:07:54 +0200, Michael Eyd wrote:

> And for the Windows 8 (Pro) device: According to what I read here in
> Germany, the price will adjust itself according to the best UltraBooks
> available (or announced?) so far - and they can go well beyond 1000€
> (~$1250).

Let's have a look at the German Apple Store:

<http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_air>

11" MacBook Air, from 1049€

<http://store.apple.com/de/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro>

13" MacBook Pro from 1249€

If the Surface prices are so high, no thanks.

--
Paul Sture

Paul Sture

On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:47:16 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx
>
> Ars Technica:
> http://arstechnica.com/information-t...osoft-unveils-

surface-tablet-powered-by-windows-8/

> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8. No
> mention of mobile network access.
>
> But Microsoft admits to the advantage of designing your own hardware to
> match your software, something Apple realised a long time ago.
>
> So we have MS controlling Nokia for phones and now building its own
> tablets. And it claims its Windows OS will run on all 3. Remains to be
> seen how well MS can have a single os for all 3 platforms.

The hardware looks nice, but is it vapourware?

<http://arstechnica.com/information-t...irst-look-and-
feel-of-microsofts-first-pc/>

"Microsoft still isn't ready to let Joe Public get their grubby little
hands on Surface. At the press event, we were given a number of
demonstrations, shown a number of non-functional demo units, and given
scant few seconds to touch real working devices. The Intel Core i5-
powered Surface for Windows 8 Pro devices were not on display, either;
only the ARM-powered Surface for Windows RT was available. However, the
major design points are common between the two."

--
Paul Sture

DevilsPGD

In the last episode of <(E-Mail Removed)>, Lewis
<(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>In message <4fdff646$0$1279$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>
> JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx

>> Ars Technica:
>> http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-by-windows-8/

>> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
>> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8.

>For values of "Standard WIndows 8" that incldue "Cripple-ware Windows 8
>RT Metro only."

For values of "'Standard Windows 8' that include 'Cripple-ware Windows 8
'RT Metro only.'" that include "Available running Windows 8 RT for Arm,
or full Windows 8 on Intel"

Standard Windows 8 is an option.

--
All generalizations are false.

Paul Sture

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:45:10 +0200, Paul Sture wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:47:16 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:
>
>> Microsoft web site: http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/about.aspx
>>
>> Ars Technica:
>> http://arstechnica.com/information-t.../06/microsoft-

unveils-
> surface-tablet-powered-by-windows-8/
>>

>> Think of an ipad, with a magic cover, except the cover also has a
>> keyboard and trackpad on it, and this will run standard Windows 8. No
>> mention of mobile network access.
>>
>> But Microsoft admits to the advantage of designing your own hardware to
>> match your software, something Apple realised a long time ago.
>>
>> So we have MS controlling Nokia for phones and now building its own
>> tablets. And it claims its Windows OS will run on all 3. Remains to be
>> seen how well MS can have a single os for all 3 platforms.

> The hardware looks nice, but is it vapourware?
>
> <http://arstechnica.com/information-t...irst-look-and-
> feel-of-microsofts-first-pc/>
>
> "Microsoft still isn't ready to let Joe Public get their grubby little
> hands on Surface. At the press event, we were given a number of
> demonstrations, shown a number of non-functional demo units, and given
> scant few seconds to touch real working devices. The Intel Core i5-
> powered Surface for Windows 8 Pro devices were not on display, either;
> only the ARM-powered Surface for Windows RT was available. However, the
> major design points are common between the two."

A few Tweets from John Gruber:

'Sinofsky: “Now let me talk about availability and pricing.” Translation:
“We’re not talking about price or availability.”'

"Microsoft could sell a lot of those keyboard covers if they made one for
the iPad."

"I can sort of understand announcing without a ship date. But I can't
understand announcing without prices. Why not start taking preorders?"

"Even Kickstarter projects have to set prices:"

"No battery life specs for either the ARM or Intel versions? Starting to
think this is a hoax."

--
Paul Sture