OT: Telegraph interview with Jonathan Ive

JF Mezei

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-the-core.html

It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.

He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword :-)

Warren Oates

In article <4fbd7f44$0$6789$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-interview-App
> les-design-genius-is-British-to-the-core.html
>
> It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.
>
> He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
> involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword :-)

A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

Király

Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I wish we had Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to
> it.

A bathtub ring, more like it.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Helpful Harry

In article <4fbdb1aa$0$4014$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>, Warren
Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <4fbd7f44$0$6789$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
> JF Mezei <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-interview-App
> > les-design-genius-is-British-to-the-core.html
> >
> > It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.
> >
> > He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
> > involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword :-)

> A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
> Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
> and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
> Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.

As part of the British Commonwealth (for what it's worth these days),
Canada should have knighthoods and other honours bestowed by the Queen ...
UNLESS the Canadian Government itself has decided to decline those
honours, which is something the anti-Monarchy campaigners in New Zealand
have been pushing for years. Judging by the botom-of-the-barrel idiots
over the last few years getting honours for doing nothing, they could be
right in declining. It's the same with "This Is Your Life", with such a
small population, New Zealand has run out of real people to give these
types of honurs to.

Helpful Harry )

Warren Oates

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Helpful Harry) wrote:

> > A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
> > Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
> > and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
> > Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.

> As part of the British Commonwealth (for what it's worth these days),
> Canada should have knighthoods and other honours bestowed by the Queen ...
> UNLESS the Canadian Government itself has decided to decline those
> honours, which is something the anti-Monarchy campaigners in New Zealand
> have been pushing for years. Judging by the botom-of-the-barrel idiots
> over the last few years getting honours for doing nothing, they could be
> right in declining. It's the same with "This Is Your Life", with such a
> small population, New Zealand has run out of real people to give these
> types of honurs to.
>
> Helpful Harry )

There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
small-minded Frenchie twit. It's a complicated and totally boring
history, but if we're drifting OT let's do it in style:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_titles_debate

Although, Quebec has "knights" of some sort ("chevaliers" I guess).

Small populations, yeah. The "Canadian Idol" show only lasted 2 seasons.
All those "idols" are already supported by the CRTC.
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

Paul Sture

On Wed, 23 May 2012 20:22:29 -0400, JF Mezei wrote:

> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog.../Jonathan-Ive-

interview-Apples-design-genius-is-British-to-the-core.html

> It is a 2 part interview with Jonathan Ive.
>
> He is to be knighted on May 23rd. (This is a british ritual which
> involved the queen using a very sharp knife (sometimes called a sword
> :-)

But in this case the Princess Royal (aka Princess Anne) performed the
ceremony.

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...gner-jonathan-
ive-knighthood>

(One wonders if the Queen is grooming her to be the next monarch. I am
pretty certain she would be a more popular choice than Charles. Dunno if
it's feasible though.)

--
Paul Sture

Paul Sture

On Thu, 24 May 2012 06:47:07 -0400, Warren Oates wrote:

> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Helpful Harry) wrote:
>

>> > A Knighthood is essentially the same as the Order of Canada, or the
>> > Medal of Freedom (in the US). I know, there are orders of Knighthood,
>> > and then there are Peerages; I'm just saying is all. I wish we had
>> > Knighthoods in Canada. Sir Don Cherry has a nice ring to it.

>> As part of the British Commonwealth (for what it's worth these days),
>> Canada should have knighthoods and other honours bestowed by the Queen
>> ... UNLESS the Canadian Government itself has decided to decline those
>> honours, which is something the anti-Monarchy campaigners in New
>> Zealand have been pushing for years. Judging by the botom-of-the-barrel
>> idiots over the last few years getting honours for doing nothing, they
>> could be right in declining. It's the same with "This Is Your Life",
>> with such a small population, New Zealand has run out of real people to
>> give these types of honurs to.
>>
>> Helpful Harry )

> There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
> prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
> small-minded Frenchie twit. It's a complicated and totally boring
> history, but if we're drifting OT let's do it in style:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_titles_debate
>
> Although, Quebec has "knights" of some sort ("chevaliers" I guess).
>
> Small populations, yeah. The "Canadian Idol" show only lasted 2 seasons.
> All those "idols" are already supported by the CRTC.

And I note from the Guardian link I posted earlier that another chap
knighted at the same time was a producer of Big Brother and other shows I
prefer to avoid:

<http://bit.ly/LHEprR>

"Also being knighted was Sir Peter Bazalgette, 59, the TV programme-maker
behind hit series including Big Brother, Ready Steady Cook, Changing
Rooms and Ground Force.

He said he was particularly pleased to be receiving a knighthood as he is
the great-great-grandson of Sir Joseph Bazalgette, the civil engineer who
was knighted in the 19th century for his work designing and overseeing
the building of an enclosed sewer network for London."

From engineer to bread and circuses in 5 generations :-(

--
Paul Sture

Warren Oates

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> (One wonders if the Queen is grooming her to be the next monarch. I am
> pretty certain she would be a more popular choice than Charles. Dunno if
> it's feasible though.)

That's not how it works. Charles is the next in line; the Princess Royal
is like number 12 or something.

Anyway, years ago, at the height of his popularity (early Diana days),
in whatever "prime" the PoW might have enjoyed, there was talk about
"maybe the Queen could abdicate" and she was, to say the least, not
amused. The gist of her response was that "it's not a job; you can't
just quit."

Great movie: Kind Hearts and Coronets.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of...British_throne

Zenouska Mowatt should be the next queen, imho. 'Cause, like, I don't
see Warren Oates listed anywhere.
--

.... do not cover a warm kettle or your stock may sour. -- Julia Child

Kurt Ullman

In article <4fbe3923$0$4088$c3e8da3$(E-Mail Removed) m>,
Warren Oates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Paul Sture <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> > (One wonders if the Queen is grooming her to be the next monarch. I am
> > pretty certain she would be a more popular choice than Charles. Dunno if
> > it's feasible though.)

> That's not how it works. Charles is the next in line; the Princess Royal
> is like number 12 or something.
>
> Anyway, years ago, at the height of his popularity (early Diana days),
> in whatever "prime" the PoW might have enjoyed, there was talk about
> "maybe the Queen could abdicate" and she was, to say the least, not
> amused. The gist of her response was that "it's not a job; you can't
> just quit."

And if the genetics from the Queen Mum's side kick in, it could be
another 20 years or so before the successor discussion becomes real.

JF Mezei

Warren Oates wrote:

> There's no reason a Canadian citizen can't be honoured by HM, unless the
> prime-minister of the day is a spiteful uneducated little self-serving
> small-minded Frenchie twit.

Not quite like this. Tradition has it that when the Queen wishes to
honour a foreign citizen, it goes via that country's prime minister.

Conrad Black did not want to have to recieve his invitation from Jean
Chrétien and insisted he get it directly from the queen, so the only way
to do this was to renounce his canadian citizenship.

It wasn't the PM who was spiteful, it was Conrad Black who did not wish
to deal with a PM he didn't like.

Now, the ex criminal is back in canada begging for his citizehship back
because nobody else wants him. Why didn't he go back to england ?

OT: Jonathan Ive gets BBC award for design JF Mezei Apple 3 02-19-2013 01:18 AM
OT: Where is Jonathan Ive ? JF Mezei Apple 1 01-20-2013 06:19 AM
OT: Knighthood for Apple's Jonathan Ive JF Mezei Apple 35 01-28-2012 03:21 PM
jonathan ghigu00@hotmail.com Tablet PC 1 01-04-2006 02:52 PM
Online Chat with Jonathan Schwartz 2005-05-12 John D Groenveld Sun Hardware 1 05-13-2005 11:23 PM