OT: Wiring Diagram For APC UPS Battery? (RBC33)

(PeteCresswell)

Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.

Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?
--
PeteCresswell

Mistoffolees

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

> Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
> unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
>
> Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
at http://www.apcc.com/.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Mistoffolees:
>It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
>at http://www.apcc.com/.

That was my first thought - but I haven't been able to find it yet.
--
PeteCresswell

Roger Hamlett

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per Mistoffolees:
>>It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
>>at http://www.apcc.com/.

> That was my first thought - but I haven't been able to find it yet.

The manual for my two APC units, does not show the internal battery
wiring, _but_ when you undo the cover, and hinge it out of the way, etched
into the metal plate, is a small wiring diagram. Look very carefully
around the parts that open to let you reach the batteries. Your unit may
have a diagram here.

Best Wishes

Roger Hamlett

The manual for my two APC units, does not show the internal battery
wiring, _but_ when you undo the cover, and hinge it out of the way, etched
into the metal plate, is a small wiring diagram. Look very carefully
around the parts that open to let you reach the batteries. Your unit may
have a diagram here.

Best Wishes

Wayne

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)lid says...

>Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
>unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
>
>Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

Try here for the manual:
http://www.apc.com/tools/mytools/ind...&category=user

My APC SU700NET UPS has two 12V batteries in series for 24V operation.

Red wire to Positive of one, Black wire to Negative of the other, plus a
short jumper wire connecting the remaining two pins.

Charlie Hoffpauir

On Mon, 05 Jun 2006 15:22:56 -0400, "(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the connections -
>unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
>
>Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

Pete,

Based on the cells in my units....
If the question is just how the two batteries are connected to each
other, they are in series, not parallel. ie, each cell produces 6 v so
wire the two so that the pair produces 12 v, the (-) terminal of the
first cell to the (-) connection in the unit, the (+) terminal of the
first cell to the (-) terminal of the second, and the (+) terminal of
the second cell to the (+) connection in the unit.

You should be able to see if yours are the same based on the lettering
on the cells. If they are 6 v cells, then the above should apply.
Charlie Hoffpauir
Message board:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?ht...ames.hoffpauir
Mail list:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/surn...hoffpauir.html
DNA project:
<http://www.familytreedna.com/(153dme45ewxtrs45rzxk5z2x)/public/Hoffpauir/index.aspx>

Barry Watzman

Batteries should NEVER be wired directly in parallel, so they must be in
series, e.g. positive to negative. Although I've seen stupid examples
of parallel batteries in small consumer devices, USP' are high-powered
applications and would never be designed that way.

[Any two batteries will never have EXACTLY the same voltage, so if you
have two batteries, one might be 6.127 volts and the other 6.125 volts.
If they are wired in parallel, the voltage difference, however small,
will cause current to flow between the two batteries, which is highly
detrimental to everything and which can in some cases be large enough to
cause catastrophic, potentially explosive battery destruction.]

Mistoffolees wrote:

> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>
>> Stupidly, I pulled the two batteries apart without noting the
>> connections -
>> unaware that I could purchase batteries separately and re-use the wires.
>>
>> Anybody know where to find the diagram for APC's RBC33 battery pack?

> It should be possible to download the manual from APC's website
> at http://www.apcc.com/.

(PeteCresswell)

Per Barry Watzman:
> If they are wired in parallel, the voltage difference, however small,
>will cause current to flow between the two batteries, which is highly
>detrimental to everything and which can in some cases be large enough to
>cause catastrophic, potentially explosive battery destruction.]

I guess that answers my unspoken question: Whether the UPS looks at 12 or 24v.

It also matches up with the wires I have laying on the floor: 3 wires.... one
jumper and two to the UPS.
--
PeteCresswell

Junior Member
Location: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Watzman
Batteries should NEVER be wired directly in parallel

[...edit...]

Any two batteries will never have EXACTLY the same voltage, so if you
have two batteries, one might be 6.127 volts and the other 6.125 volts.
If they are wired in parallel, the voltage difference, however small,
will cause current to flow between the two batteries, which is highly
detrimental to everything and which can in some cases be large enough to
cause catastrophic, potentially explosive battery destruction.]
Care to elaborate on that?

Batteries are often wired parallel to each other, particularly in backup situations. Case in point, the BR1500 UPS from APC has a power receptacle for a supplemental 24V battery pack BR24BP. It is not wired in series (1st battery wouldn't work alone otherwise). Additionally, APC offers some server UPS solutions that can take up to 10 extra battery packs, all daisy chained together. These are also in parallel.

My understanding is that as long as the batteries are matched at the nominal value, the rectifier circuit neuters any stray currents due to small potential differences across the cells' anodes and cathodes.

Please let me know where I'm wrong...

APC UPS problems and questions (might need to buy a new one)... ANTant@zimage.com IBM 0 09-21-2005 08:00 AM
APC's Online UPS recommendation? Bobba IBM 2 06-24-2005 06:38 PM
Prescott and Doom 3 and APC UPS NBK Asus 29 10-18-2004 07:53 PM
APC UPS query MB Dell 5 07-14-2004 02:07 AM
Wiring Diagram for Latitude CPi D300X Craig Dieter Dell 0 04-12-2004 01:40 AM