Other Cards Matching Matrox 2D Quality?

nubis

I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Rick

"nubis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

If you run at resolutions below 1600x1200 I wouldn't let 2D
display quality stop me from upgrading. Chances are you
won't see much (or quite possibly any) difference at these
lower resolutions.

Rick

Tod

I'm really happy with the 2D of my ATI 9600 PRO AIW
I still use my G400 in an older Win98SE system.
The G400 is about 10% better at 2D then my old Sapphire ATI 9100
I did notice that my ATI 9600 has a little bit better 2D then my old
Sapphire ATI 9100.
So you should be happy with a newer ATI card.

"nubis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

skorpion

nubis wrote:
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Hi

I don't think it's very reasonable to compare graphics processor (9800
Pro) with a whole graphics card (Matrox). Output signal quality depends
on a whole card.

I've read some Sapphire models are good, but I wonder myself.

It's nasty to discuss this subject in the Matrox group, isn't it

Doug Ramage

"nubis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

Same here. I bought a 9800 Pro and sold it last week.

I am using a G550, but will probably go for a P650. The P750 and Parhelia
look like over-kill for my requirements.
--
Doug Ramage

[watch spam trap]

J. Clarke

skorpion wrote:

> nubis wrote:
>> I was going to buy an ATI 9800Pro for its excellent 3D capabilities,
>> but am having second thoughts given a number of people have reported
>> its 2D quality is less than my Matrox G400Max. Any suggestions? I'm
>> considering the Parhelia but it's a little out of my price range,
>> although I'm checking on ebay for a better than retail price. Thanks.

> Hi
>
> I don't think it's very reasonable to compare graphics processor (9800
> Pro) with a whole graphics card (Matrox).

Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
depending on how new the board is.

> Output signal quality depends
> on a whole card.
>
> I've read some Sapphire models are good, but I wonder myself.
>
> It's nasty to discuss this subject in the Matrox group, isn't it

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

skorpion

J. Clarke wrote:
> Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
> processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
> depending on how new the board is.

Please note I've cancelled that message!

Arthur Hagen

skorpion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Who makes a graphics processor called the "9800 Pro"? The graphics
>> processor used on the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro board is the R350 or R360
>> depending on how new the board is.

> Please note I've cancelled that message!

Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in
unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.
It may not show up anymore on your news server, but that doesn't mean that
it won't show up on near every other news server in the world.

--
*Art

skorpion

Arthur Hagen wrote:
>>Please note I've cancelled that message!

> Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in

Really? I've read it's never been effective anyway, but thanks

> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
> kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
server and client IP?

Anyway my message wasn't _that_ bad (or was it). It doesn't really
matter what is the processor's name. The point is some people just don't
care about the quality of the board they get. But probably not on this
group. And there are different manufacturers of '9800 Pro' boards.

Cheers!

J. Clarke

skorpion wrote:

> Arthur Hagen wrote:
>>>Please note I've cancelled that message!

>> Many, if not most, news servers do not honour regular cancel messages in

> Really? I've read it's never been effective anyway, but thanks
>
>> unmoderated newsgroups anymore -- they're too easy to forge and abuse by
>> kiddies cancelling people's posts just for "fun" or spite.

> How can they do that? Isn't it necessary to cancel through the same
> server and client IP?

USENET isn't kept on a single server or maintained by any centralized
authority. While the server to which you post might be able to distinguish
you from someone else forging your headers, no other server can do that.