overclock or go for a upgarde?

Paul Watt

Hi,
I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a 3000XP+
or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a problem. I've
just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble a bit (so much
i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so any ideas?

--
Cheers

Paul
le singe est dans l'arbre
http://www.paulwatt.info

Paul Watt

"Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
> 3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
> problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
> a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
> any ideas?

Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
3000xp+ chip

--
Cheers

Paul
le singe est dans l'arbre
http://www.paulwatt.info

Wes Newell

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:00:21 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:

> "Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>> I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
>> 3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
>> problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
>> a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
>> any ideas?
>>

> Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
> 3000xp+ chip

Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.

Bill

In article <rMQXg.16$3C6.3@trnddc04>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:00:21 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:
>

> > "Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hi,
> >> I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
> >> 3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
> >> problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
> >> a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
> >> any ideas?
> >>

> > Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
> > 3000xp+ chip

> Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
> higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
> you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.

http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD...ard/index.html

Might be one way to go.

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

Merrill P. L. Worthington

Paul Watt wrote:

> "Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi,
>>I've got a athlon2100 xp and I was wondering whether to track down a
>>3000XP+ or overclock my 2100? I've got 900mb of ram so memorys not a
>>problem. I've just ordered a 600 W psu as my old one is starting to wobble
>>a bit (so much i've had to underclock my cpu!). Money is a BIG factor, so
>>any ideas?
>>

> Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
> 3000xp+ chip

I don't know how much cost os a factor. But something to consider is
that an Athlon 64 3000 is down to around $55. A motherboard with decent
vdeo performance (maybe not full gaming, but pretty good) will set you
back another $70 to $80. i don't know what kind of memory you've got
but this combo will probably need DDR400. That might be another factor
to consider.

Probably the other components in your system would "work" but might end
up being a bottleneck in performance. Hard drive performance is a big
issue if you want to use your old one.

syzer

> Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
> higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
> you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.

u r 100% right.

syzer

what are speeds of your rams???
400mhz?? ddr??
what heatsink do u have?
what mainboard do u have?? is agp/pci clocks are fixed??
what is a current speed of a CPU?? (xp thing is for ****)

Dylan C

Bill wrote:
> In article <rMQXg.16$3C6.3@trnddc04>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
>>On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:00:21 +0100, Paul Watt wrote:
>>

>>>"Paul Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>>Forgot to metion that I've got a MSI k75a mobo that will only handle a
>>>3000xp+ chip

>>Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
>>higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
>>you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.
>>

> http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD...ard/index.html
>
> Might be one way to go.
>
> Bill

These are both great deals, but socket 939 doesn't have alot of life
left in it either. That means that your NEXT upgrade will be a complete
system upgrade. I'd say if overclocking your 2100 improves performance
to acceptable levels, do it. THe best part is its free (unless you fry
it). If the 2100 still won't cut it, those newegg deals are pretty good
but you'll need a PCI Express video card. That'll add another $35.

-Dylan C

Bill

says...
> Bill wrote:
> > In article <rMQXg.16$3C6.3@trnddc04>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...

> >>Socket A has been discontinuedd for some time. CPu prices for them are now
> >>higher than newer much faster cpu's. Don't waste any more money on it. if
> >>you need something faster, either overclock or buy newer MB/cpu.
> >>

> > http://promotions.newegg.com/AMD/AMD...ard/index.html
> >
> > Might be one way to go.
> >
> > Bill

> These are both great deals, but socket 939 doesn't have alot of life
> left in it either. That means that your NEXT upgrade will be a complete
> system upgrade. I'd say if overclocking your 2100 improves performance
> to acceptable levels, do it. THe best part is its free (unless you fry
> it). If the 2100 still won't cut it, those newegg deals are pretty good
> but you'll need a PCI Express video card. That'll add another $35.

Actually, the Biostar board is compatable with "some" agp cards.

> -Dylan C

Bill
--
Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

VanShania

Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 is an AGP board and it will use your memory too.
Hopefully it is PC3200 but if its not it will still work. Just make sure you
create a raid disk using nvidias raid drivers or don't install the ide
driver from the motherboard disk. If you flash the bios you can then use a
dual core cpu. 939 may be short on legs but it is still fast and won't be a
whole lot slower for a while.
--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, winSPWW2, winSPMBT

nf7 overclock question elrod Abit 6 01-24-2004 04:59 AM
overclock question Martijn Stam Abit 2 12-25-2003 03:36 AM
SE6: overclock problems (nothing extreme, just FSB 66->100) GinTonix Abit 8 10-19-2003 11:11 PM
Opinions and advice on Overclock please... tHatDudeUK Abit 17 09-15-2003 06:11 PM
BZBOYZ AUTHENTIC AMD overclock or scam from seller HELP!!! john private smith Abit 10 08-09-2003 02:54 AM