How to overclock an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz?

bornfree

Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
Here are my system specs

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
2GB of RAM
Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
2 case fans

Paul

bornfree wrote:
> Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
> Here are my system specs
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
> Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
> 2GB of RAM
> Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
> 2 case fans

If you look in your manual, in section 2.4.2, it says there
is a control under "Advanced" "Frequency/Voltage Control".
Look for "CPU Clock". With an E6300 installed, the starting
value for "CPU Clock" should be 266, and you can raise that
setting.

When the input clock is raised, it is possible the memory
clock will be raised as well.

For your first overclock, only change the CPU Clock by a small
amount. If it starts at 266, set it to 270, and boot into
Windows. Use this program, to help you understand what changing
the CPU clock has done. I.e. Compare the frequency numbers at
the default 266MHz, to the numbers you get at 270MHz.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

You raise the CPU clock, only a little bit at a time. Then test
with a program like Prime95 or Orthos. The purpose of the testing,
is to detect when the machine is becoming unstable, but without
crashing it. Once the instability point has been detected, turn
the clock down a bit, so that you can actually use the computer
for something.

Orthos for Windows
http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Paul

Ivan

"bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
> Here are my system specs
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
> Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
> 2GB of RAM
> Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
> 2 case fans

I have an E6320 (same default speed as yours) running at 3.01 Ghz (430 Mhz x
7) with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink with no intervention as to the
voltage.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS. You need to raise FSB (from default 266
Mhz onwards) in your BIOS if it allows to do so. Start with e.g. 333 Mhz
FSB.

For maximum stability you must also pay attention to the fact that your RAM
isn't simultaneously overclocked (too high) and that PCI-Express/AGP bus
stays at the default frequency.

bornfree

On 18 Nov, 21:22, "Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
> > Here are my system specs

> > Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
> > Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
> > 2GB of RAM
> > Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
> > 2 case fans

> I have an E6320 (same default speed as yours) running at 3.01 Ghz (430 Mhz x
> 7) with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink with no intervention as to the
> voltage.
>
> Make sure you have the latest BIOS. You need to raise FSB (from default 266
> Mhz onwards) in your BIOS if it allows to do so. Start with e.g. 333 Mhz
> FSB.
>
> For maximum stability you must also pay attention to the fact that your RAM
> isn't simultaneously overclocked (too high) and that PCI-Express/AGP bus
> stays at the default frequency.

Thanks for the advice both of you!

Could you give me a quick explanation of how to use CPUID? It's a but
daunting!

Paul

bornfree wrote:
> On 18 Nov, 21:22, "Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "bornfree" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Hi. How can I overclock my CPU?
>>> Here are my system specs
>>> Intel Core 2 Duo E6300, 1.86 GHz (Ninja fanless cooler)
>>> Nvidia Geforce 7950GT (cooled by zalman copper)
>>> 2GB of RAM
>>> Asus P5VD2-MX mobo
>>> 2 case fans

>> I have an E6320 (same default speed as yours) running at 3.01 Ghz (430 Mhz x
>> 7) with Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro heatsink with no intervention as to the
>> voltage.
>>
>> Make sure you have the latest BIOS. You need to raise FSB (from default 266
>> Mhz onwards) in your BIOS if it allows to do so. Start with e.g. 333 Mhz
>> FSB.
>>
>> For maximum stability you must also pay attention to the fact that your RAM
>> isn't simultaneously overclocked (too high) and that PCI-Express/AGP bus
>> stays at the default frequency.

> Thanks for the advice both of you!
>
> Could you give me a quick explanation of how to use CPUID? It's a but
> daunting!

Double click cpuz.exe . There are a bunch of tabs along the top.
This is what my processor reads out as, when not overclocked. You
want to do an initial check as well, to see what your settings are like
when not overclocked. Your first run, shows the nominal settings. You
can use this, to verify that you understand how the BIOS works.

CPU tab has: Memory tab has:

Core speed 2800MHz Frequency 200MHz
Multiplier x14 FSBRAM 1:1
Bus Speed 200MHz tCL 2.5
Rated FSB 800MHz tRCD 3
tRP 3
tRAS 8

My system is mildly overclocked. It uses an old S478 processor.
These are my current settings.

CPU tab has: Memory tab has:

Core speed 3150MHz Frequency 225MHz
Multiplier x14 FSBRAM 1:1
Bus Speed 225MHz tCL 2.5
Rated FSB 900MHz tRCD 3
tRP 3
tRAS 8

What you notice, with my current settings, is the clock feeding the CPU,
has the same speed as the clock feeding the memory. The "ratio" is 1:1.

As I increase the clock on the CPU to 225MHz, the memory also increases
to 225MHz. That corresponds to DDR450, which is faster than the memory
is rated for. My memory is PC3200, DDR400 memory. To make it go faster,
I increased tCL by a little bit. I think my memory could probably be
pushed to DDR500 at tCL of 3.0, but my processor won't let me go that
high.

The purpose of CPUZ, is as a learning tool. For your first overclock,
you'll be increasing the CPU input clock by a tiny amount. The theory
is, that tiny change will not affect the stability of your system. Then,
you'll visit CPUZ again, and see what has changed. It's to help you
understand how ratios work. See how the overclock has pushed your memory,
perhaps passed its rated settings. What that tells you, is you need to
reduce your memory setting in the BIOS. The combination of an increased
CPU clock, and a reduced memory bus setting, helps keep the memory from
going past its spec. In my case, I didn't have to do that, because I
happen to know my memory will go all the way to DDR500. The only surprise
I got, is how crappy my processor is. 3150 is as far as it goes.

Paul