Overclockability on Asus K8V Motherboard Athlon 64 3000+ ?

RT

I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this combo
to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
2-512MB sticks.

Is this an good overclockable combination?

Any other things I should consider or advice?

Thanks

It's Me Again

Wes Newell

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:36:02 +0000, RT wrote:

> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this combo
> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
> 2-512MB sticks.
>
> Is this an good overclockable combination?

Not no, but hell no.:-)

Besides not being what you want, it's way overpriced at $369. You can get
the same thing for around $225 wlth a minimum of effort, but don't.

> Any other things I should consider or advice?

Socket 754 is a good choice, but you want/need a newer chipset that has a
PCI lock. And I'd replace the ram too with PC4000. With some smart
shopping and selling your old ram, you could probably get a 3000+ system
with new ram for less than that $369, and then you'd be set to overclock
like crazy.:-)

Top Secret

>> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this
>> combo
>> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
>> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
>> 2-512MB sticks.
>>
>> Is this an good overclockable combination?
>>

> Not no, but hell no.:-)
>
> Besides not being what you want, it's way overpriced at $369. You can get
> the same thing for around $225 wlth a minimum of effort, but don't.
>
>> Any other things I should consider or advice?
>>

> Socket 754 is a good choice, but you want/need a newer chipset that has a
> PCI lock. And I'd replace the ram too with PC4000. With some smart
> shopping and selling your old ram, you could probably get a 3000+ system
> with new ram for less than that $369, and then you'd be set to overclock
> like crazy.:-)

Thanks Wes, I'll have to do a bit of research on PCI lock. Were you quoting
US Dollars? $369 is my Canadian price.

Wes Newell

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:19:35 +0000, Top Secret wrote:

> Thanks Wes, I'll have to do a bit of research on PCI lock. Were you quoting
> US Dollars? $369 is my Canadian price.

Yes I was quoting US$. So maybe $369Can isn't so bad. I don't know the
exchange rate at present time. Still, you need a chipset with a PCI lock
if you plan on any worthwhile overclock. I think the NF3-250 and the
K8T800 Pro chipsets have one, but double check. I know the original
NF3-150 had problems with it, and the original K8T800 didn't have one for
sure. you might want to consider a Sempron 3100+ for 754. they overclock
like crazy (2.5GHz easy) from what I've read.

Peter

> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this combo
> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
> 2-512MB sticks.
>
> Is this an good overclockable combination?
>
> Any other things I should consider or advice?

I bough this combination august this year:

Asus K8V (85 euro's)
Athlon 64 3000+ boxed (165 euro's)
Infineon PC3200 2x 512mb (187 euro's)

I'm happy with it, is stable at 224x10 (CPU-Z: 2239.8 MHz), didn't tweak
voltages or memory settings. It has got PCI and AGP lock. Don't know how it
will work with the 266 memory.

Have a nice weekend, Peter

batshit

that's cheap just wonder where link can be, it would be great help!!!!
thanks

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:29:18 +0200, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this combo
>> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro. Apparently
>> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
>> 2-512MB sticks.
>>
>> Is this an good overclockable combination?
>>
>> Any other things I should consider or advice?

>I bough this combination august this year:
>
>Asus K8V (85 euro's)
>Athlon 64 3000+ boxed (165 euro's)
>Infineon PC3200 2x 512mb (187 euro's)
>
>I'm happy with it, is stable at 224x10 (CPU-Z: 2239.8 MHz), didn't tweak
>voltages or memory settings. It has got PCI and AGP lock. Don't know how it
>will work with the 266 memory.
>
>Have a nice weekend, Peter

Peter

> >> I am giving this http://tinyurl.com/6o2xz some consideration on this
combo
> >> to replace my existing Asus and Amd 2100+ with ATI 9800 pro.

Apparently
> >> this MB supports DDR 266 which is good news as I can using my existing
> >> 2-512MB sticks.
> >> Is this an good overclockable combination?
> >> Any other things I should consider or advice?

***
> >I bough this combination august this year:
> >
> >Asus K8V (85 euro's)
> >Athlon 64 3000+ boxed (165 euro's)
> >Infineon PC3200 2x 512mb (187 euro's)
> >
> >I'm happy with it, is stable at 224x10 (CPU-Z: 2239.8 MHz), didn't tweak
> >voltages or memory settings. It has got PCI and AGP lock. Don't know how

it
> >will work with the 266 memory.

***
> that's cheap just wonder where link can be, it would be great help!!!!
> thanks

***
Do you mean where's the link to that shop ?
(English is not my native language)

P...