Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results

jmorton

Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results

I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
(6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
radiator fins.)

What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
DH Deluxe was.

I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
these newsgroups:

2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
held steady.

3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
(spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
from 24C to 38C and held steady.

3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
steady.

4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
would shorten the life of my system.

So I said, "enough."

But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.

This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!

JM
(AS)

Peter van der Goes

"jmorton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
>
> I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
> Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
> (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
> HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
> radiator fins.)
>
> What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
> DH Deluxe was.
>
> I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
> these newsgroups:
>
> 2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
> have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
> took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
> held steady.
>
> 3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
> 333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
> (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
> 2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
> cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
> from 24C to 38C and held steady.
>
> 3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
> which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
> the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
> it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
> steady.
>
> 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
> FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
> did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
> etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
> industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
> is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
> would shorten the life of my system.
>
> So I said, "enough."
>
> But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
> settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
>
> This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
> DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
>
> JM
> (AS)

The most interesting part is that your temperatures remain so low with the
stock Intel HSF.
Unless Intel includes a vastly superior HSF to that supplied with the 6420,
the results are nothing short of incredible.
My 6420, overclocked to 2.72 GHz (from 2.13), runs at 42-43C at idle to low
60's under 100% load on each core.

Phil Weldon

'jmorton' wrote, in part:
| Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
|
| I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
| Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
| (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
| HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
| radiator fins.)
_____

Very good.
Have you tried 'Orthos' and 'TAT' to check for stability under load, and
(with 'TAT') for the two individual core temperatures? These two utilities
could give you a better idea of what is going on.

You might also try LOWERING the CPU core voltage. My E4300 @ 2.7 GHz runs
with a core voltage of 1.21 v, more than 0.1 v below the stock setting.
Even then with the Intel stock retail, boxed heatsink/fan 'TAT' reports CPU
temperatures in the 60's C when both CPUs are loaded 100%. (room ambient ~
28 C.) With a LOWER CPU voltage you might get an even higher overclock with
stock cooling.

TAT (Intel Thermal Analysis Tool):
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/392/mirrors.php

Orthos:
http://sp2004.fre3.com/beta/beta2.htm

Phil Weldon

"jmorton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
| Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
|
| I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
| Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
| (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
| HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
| radiator fins.)
|
| What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
| DH Deluxe was.
|
| I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
| these newsgroups:
|
| 2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
| have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
| took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
| held steady.
|
| 3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
| 333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
| (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
| 2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
| cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
| from 24C to 38C and held steady.
|
| 3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
| which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
| the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
| it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
| steady.
|
| 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
| FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
| did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
| etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
| industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
| is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
| would shorten the life of my system.
|
| So I said, "enough."
|
| But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
| settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
|
| This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
| DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
|
| JM
| (AS)

peter

very good OC..........but I am really amazed at your temps.
On my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 running with a FSB 400 and the mem @ 400x2 equals
a setting of 8x400=3200 on a E6420 with stock cooler........its hot than
hell here now reached 32celsius today.The computer is in a basement office
and shows an internal case temp of 30celsius.At Idle both cores show a temp
of 32 to 35 Celsius using RightMark CPU Clock Utility and when I run Orthos
it goes up pretty fast and reaches 58-60 after a 1/2 hour running at 100%.At
that point it remains pretty stable temp wise for the next 1/2 hour and then
goes up to63- 65celsius at which point I stop the test.
Ordered myself a Thermalright Heatsink the HR-01 with a 120mm Fan and a Fan
Duct to connect to the 120mm case fan in the back.
lets see if that will cool things down a bit.
i have a temp probe on that massive northbridge heatsink and it normally
runs at 65 and reaches 73 under full load.Still trying to find a way to cool
that thing down some.
peter
"jmorton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Overclocked E6600 & P5W DH Deluxe with Incredible Results
>
> I just overclocked my new "rig:" E6600 @ 3.2GHz (2.4GHz), P5W DH
> Deluxe, Corsair XMS CL4 RAM: 2 X 1GB DIMMs & 2 X 512MB DIMMs PC2 5700
> (6400) Dual-channel interleaved, etc. (Note: I just use the stock
> HSF and I also mounted the included optional fan on the passive
> radiator fins.)
>
> What's incredible is how simple the 33% overclock of the E6600 & P5W
> DH Deluxe was.
>
> I read several posts and here's what I did based upon discussions in
> these newsgroups:
>
> 2.4GHz (stock) - I first ran two instances of a software program I
> have that utilizes each core 100%. (One instance for each core.) It
> took 11 minutes and 10 seconds. The CPU temp went from 24C to 34C and
> held steady.
>
> 3.0GHz - Then I went into BIOS and manually set the FSB frequency to
> 333MHz, the DRAM frequency to 667MHz, and the RAM voltage to 2.1V
> (spec'ed) and the timings to 4-4-4-12 (spec'ed) and I guessed for the
> 2T parameter. I again ran the two instances of the program with both
> cores at 100%. This time it took 8:58 to complete. The temps went
> from 24C to 38C and held steady.
>
> 3.2GHz - For the next overclock I only raised the FSB clock to 356MHz
> which automatically raised the DRAM frequency to 712MHz. I again ran
> the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
> it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
> steady.
>
> 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
> FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
> did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
> etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
> industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
> is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
> would shorten the life of my system.
>
> So I said, "enough."
>
> But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
> settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
>
> This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
> DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
>
> JM
> (AS)

Phil Weldon

'peter' wrote, in part:
| very good OC..........but I am really amazed at your temps.
| On my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 running with a FSB 400 and the mem @ 400x2
equals
| a setting of 8x400=3200 on a E6420 with stock cooler........its hot than
| hell here now reached 32celsius today.The computer is in a basement office
| and shows an internal case temp of 30celsius.At Idle both cores show a
temp
| of 32 to 35 Celsius using RightMark CPU Clock Utility and when I run
Orthos
| it goes up pretty fast and reaches 58-60 after a 1/2 hour running at 100%.

Your temperatures are much more in line with my experience with an E4300 @
2.7 GHz / 1.21 v core (28 C ambient / mid-60s C with TAT 100% on both CPUs.)
Orthos shows a temperature about 5 C lower.

I put the difference down to the temperature reporting application.

Phil Weldon

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsICii.84281$1i1.74024@pd7urf3no...
> [...]
| > the two instances of the program with both cores at 100%. This time
| > it took 8:18 to complete. The temps went from 24C to 42C and held
| > steady.
| >
| > 4.0GHz - The last attempt at overclocking failed when I raised the
| > FSB frequency to 400MHz. I tried fiddling around with it. I finally
| > did get to the Windows opening screen but it took a vCore of 1.45,
| > etc. and still crashed. I figure at these higher voltages I best have
| > industrial cooling which I do not intend to get into. And 1.45 vCore
| > is well outside of Intel specs. And these higher settings probably
| > would shorten the life of my system.
| >
| > So I said, "enough."
| >
| > But think about this: I did not change anything else. All other
| > settings were left at default. And all with air cooling.
| >
| > This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W

Don Burnette

"jmorton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
<snip>

> This is testament to what a great buy the Intel E6600 and the Asus P5W
> DH Deluxe are. Just incredible!
>
> JM
> (AS)

Yep, I have been running my E6600, at 3.24 ghz, on EVGA 680i mb for about 5
months now, very happy with it.

--
Don

Ed Medlin

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iYCii.3284$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> 'peter' wrote, in part:
> | very good OC..........but I am really amazed at your temps.
> | On my Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 running with a FSB 400 and the mem @
> 400x2
> equals
> | a setting of 8x400=3200 on a E6420 with stock cooler........its hot
> than
> | hell here now reached 32celsius today.The computer is in a basement
> office
> | and shows an internal case temp of 30celsius.At Idle both cores show
> temp
> | of 32 to 35 Celsius using RightMark CPU Clock Utility and when I run
> Orthos
> | it goes up pretty fast and reaches 58-60 after a 1/2 hour running at
> 100%.
>
> Your temperatures are much more in line with my experience with an
> E4300 @
> 2.7 GHz / 1.21 v core (28 C ambient / mid-60s C with TAT 100% on both
> CPUs.)
> Orthos shows a temperature about 5 C lower.
>
> I put the difference down to the temperature reporting application.
>
> Phil Weldon

I had to RMA my P5N32-E-SLI because of a SATA controller failure.
Before I had the problem, my temps (liquid cooling) had dropped
significantly from 29c/idle and 51c/max running Orthos small ffts to 27c
and 43-44c max. I was able to get the e6600 up to 3.3 quite easily but
then the SATA controller just failed to recognize any drives at all.
Default bios settings showed no difference. MB temps were fine at 41c
pretty steady after adding a 100mm fan to blow across the MB heat pipes.
My replacement will be a Striker Extreme due to no P5N32s were available
Mon except in the 650i version. I am not familiar with the Striker
board, but will give it a go since it is also a NV 680i board. The
customer service guy said it is a new, boxed board so I don't think I
will be worried about it being a refurb.
I generally have used CoreTemp to monitor my temps on the C2Ds since
it seems to reflect pretty much the same temps as the bios and I could
compare with others here that use the same app. Temps have always been
an issue with folks using different software. The OP's temps were very
good for that OC and air cooling.

Ed

Peter van der Goes

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:N6xii.3562$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Very good.
> Have you tried 'Orthos' and 'TAT' to check for stability under load, and
> (with 'TAT') for the two individual core temperatures? These two
> utilities
> could give you a better idea of what is going on.
>
> You might also try LOWERING the CPU core voltage. My E4300 @ 2.7 GHz runs
> with a core voltage of 1.21 v, more than 0.1 v below the stock setting.
> Even then with the Intel stock retail, boxed heatsink/fan 'TAT' reports
> CPU
> temperatures in the 60's C when both CPUs are loaded 100%. (room ambient ~
> 28 C.) With a LOWER CPU voltage you might get an even higher overclock
> with
> stock cooling.

Here I am again with another question
When I saw your post, I went to check the voltage for my 6420 at 2.72 GHz
(Auto in the BIOS), and discovered through both Asus Probe and SpeedFan that
I was running at ~1.42v. That sounded a bit high for "Auto", so I changed it
to 1.35 in the BIOS with no perceivable result except a welcome 2C reduction
in operating temperature in normal use.
I then went to the Intel web site to see what the "normal" or default
voltage for a 6420 should be. Got mired down in page after page of details,
but didn't find what I was looking for. Do you, by chance, have a link?

Phil Weldon

'Peter van der Goes' wrote:
| Here I am again with another question
| When I saw your post, I went to check the voltage for my 6420 at 2.72 GHz
| (Auto in the BIOS), and discovered through both Asus Probe and SpeedFan
that
| I was running at ~1.42v. That sounded a bit high for "Auto", so I changed
it
| to 1.35 in the BIOS with no perceivable result except a welcome 2C
reduction
| in operating temperature in normal use.
| I then went to the Intel web site to see what the "normal" or default
| voltage for a 6420 should be. Got mired down in page after page of
details,
| but didn't find what I was looking for. Do you, by chance, have a link?
_____

When overclocking you should use the lowest possible voltage the give a
stable overclock. Trade-off among core voltage, CPU speed, and CPU
temperature for the best stable overclock.

The CPU core voltage can be different among CPUs of the same type and
identification - it is set durning testing at the factory.

"Individual processor VID values may be calibrated during manufacturing such
that two
devices at the same core speed may have different default VID settings. This
is
reflected by the VID Range values provided in Table 5. Refer to the Intel®
CoreT2 Duo
Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
Processor
X6800 Specification Update for further details on specific valid core
frequency and VID
values of the processor. Note this differs from the VID employed by the
processor
during a power management event (Thermal Monitor 2, Enhanced Intel
SpeedStep®
Technology, or Extended HALT State)."

page 14,
Intel® CoreT2 Extreme Processor
X6800? and Intel® CoreT2 Duo
Desktop Processor E6000 and
E4000? Sequences
Datasheet
http://download.intel.com/design/pro...s/31327804.pdf

There is no further core voltage information at this time in

Intel® CoreT2 Duo
Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
Processor
X6800 Specification Update

Phil Weldon

"Peter van der Goes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jHPii.11636$(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:N6xii.3562$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
| > Very good.
| > Have you tried 'Orthos' and 'TAT' to check for stability under load, and
| > (with 'TAT') for the two individual core temperatures? These two
| > utilities
| > could give you a better idea of what is going on.
| >
| > You might also try LOWERING the CPU core voltage. My E4300 @ 2.7 GHz
runs
| > with a core voltage of 1.21 v, more than 0.1 v below the stock setting.
| > Even then with the Intel stock retail, boxed heatsink/fan 'TAT' reports
| > CPU
| > temperatures in the 60's C when both CPUs are loaded 100%. (room ambient
~
| > 28 C.) With a LOWER CPU voltage you might get an even higher overclock
| > with
| > stock cooling.
| >
| Here I am again with another question
| When I saw your post, I went to check the voltage for my 6420 at 2.72 GHz
| (Auto in the BIOS), and discovered through both Asus Probe and SpeedFan
that
| I was running at ~1.42v. That sounded a bit high for "Auto", so I changed
it
| to 1.35 in the BIOS with no perceivable result except a welcome 2C
reduction
| in operating temperature in normal use.
| I then went to the Intel web site to see what the "normal" or default
| voltage for a 6420 should be. Got mired down in page after page of
details,
| but didn't find what I was looking for. Do you, by chance, have a link?

Peter van der Goes

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZNRii.3568$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> When overclocking you should use the lowest possible voltage the give a
> stable overclock. Trade-off among core voltage, CPU speed, and CPU
> temperature for the best stable overclock.
>
> The CPU core voltage can be different among CPUs of the same type and
> identification - it is set durning testing at the factory.
>
> "Individual processor VID values may be calibrated during manufacturing
> such
> that two
> devices at the same core speed may have different default VID settings.
> This
> is
> reflected by the VID Range values provided in Table 5. Refer to the Intel®
> CoreT2 Duo
> Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
> Processor
> X6800 Specification Update for further details on specific valid core
> frequency and VID
> values of the processor. Note this differs from the VID employed by the
> processor
> during a power management event (Thermal Monitor 2, Enhanced Intel
> SpeedStep®
> Technology, or Extended HALT State)."
>
> page 14,
> Intel® CoreT2 Extreme Processor
> X6800? and Intel® CoreT2 Duo
> Desktop Processor E6000 and
> E4000? Sequences
> Datasheet
> http://download.intel.com/design/pro...s/31327804.pdf
>
> There is no further core voltage information at this time in
>
> Intel® CoreT2 Duo
> Desktop Processor E6000 and E4000 Sequence and Intel® CoreT2 Extreme
> Processor
> X6800 Specification Update
>
> Phil Weldon

Thanks very much, Phil.
I had no idea it was so complicated. I guess the reading from the BIOS Auto
setting was legit.
So far 1.35 is working fine (down from 1.42). I'll try a little less the
next time I restart.