Overclocking Asus P5B Deluxe versus abit IP35 Pro

Ken

I would appreciate a little help on understanding the difference between
these two boards. I have the abit IP35 Pro/E6750 system slightly over
clocked - all I did was increase the FSB to 400 and let her rip. I have not
had even a hint of a problem and the temps seem pretty low with the standard
Intel cooler. The Asus P5B Deluxe/E6600 system is running at the stock
settings with a Zalman 9700 cooler. Both systems have 2 Gig of corsair 800
DDR2 C4 memory running at 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.1 volts. Both systems have
a Raid0 configuration. I just updated the Asus board to the latest 12.26
BIOS version. The problem I am having is almost every time I make a change
to one of the P5B BIOS Advanced settings the system shuts down and reboots
(sometimes) and comes back with a message saying something to the effect
that the BIOS settings need to be changed. Sometimes the system just hangs
on the "auto reboot" and I have to turn the power off and back on again to
get it to boot to the BIOS. I have had this issue since day one when I had
to change the voltage and timings for the Corsair Memory. After the reboot
I go into the BIOS and change nothing and the system boots up and runs
normally with the new settings. Is this just the way ASUS P5B acts or is
something wrong. I was never really concerned about this strange behavior
until I got the abit IP35 Pro board and had zero "problems." The Asus
system is over a year old and has never crashed or blue screened so it is
very solid. I am just getting greedy and want it to run a little faster via
over clocking.

Phil Weldon

'Ken' wrote, in part:
>I would appreciate a little help on understanding the difference between
>these two boards. I have the abit IP35 Pro/E6750 system slightly over
>clocked - all I did was increase the FSB to 400 and let her rip. I have
>not had even a hint of a problem and the temps seem pretty low with the
>standard Intel cooler. The Asus P5B Deluxe/E6600 system is running at the
>stock settings with a Zalman 9700 cooler.

..
..
> The problem I am having is almost every time I make a change to one of the
> P5B BIOS Advanced settings the system shuts down and reboots (sometimes)
> and comes back with a message saying something to the effect that the BIOS
> settings need to be changed. Sometimes the system just hangs on the "auto
> reboot" and I have to turn the power off and back on again to get it to
> boot to the BIOS.

_____

So far you haven't described a real problem. It may be you have an option
in the BIOS you should change to avoid the hang.

To actually overclock the CPU you may need to increase the CPU voltage.
Since you can change the memory clock frequency : CPU clock frequency
ratio, it is not necessary to overclock your DDR2 memory to overclock a 1333
MHZ FSB Intel CPU. Why don't you try overclocking your ASUS motherboard
system and post the results? You should easily get a 30% or greater
overclock.

Phil Weldon

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I would appreciate a little help on understanding the difference between
>these two boards. I have the abit IP35 Pro/E6750 system slightly over
>clocked - all I did was increase the FSB to 400 and let her rip. I have
>not had even a hint of a problem and the temps seem pretty low with the
>standard Intel cooler. The Asus P5B Deluxe/E6600 system is running at the
>stock settings with a Zalman 9700 cooler. Both systems have 2 Gig of
>corsair 800 DDR2 C4 memory running at 4-4-4-12 timings at 2.1 volts. Both
>systems have a Raid0 configuration. I just updated the Asus board to the
>latest 12.26 BIOS version. The problem I am having is almost every time I
>make a change to one of the P5B BIOS Advanced settings the system shuts
>down and reboots (sometimes) and comes back with a message saying something
>to the effect that the BIOS settings need to be changed. Sometimes the
>system just hangs on the "auto reboot" and I have to turn the power off and
>back on again to get it to boot to the BIOS. I have had this issue since
>day one when I had to change the voltage and timings for the Corsair
>Memory. After the reboot I go into the BIOS and change nothing and the
>system boots up and runs normally with the new settings. Is this just the
>way ASUS P5B acts or is something wrong. I was never really concerned
>about this strange behavior until I got the abit IP35 Pro board and had
>zero "problems." The Asus system is over a year old and has never crashed
>or blue screened so it is very solid. I am just getting greedy and want it
>to run a little faster via over clocking.

Ken

Well, I created a real problem - during the OCing session and all the bad
things the MB was doing the #$%*ing Raid 0 Array became corrupted and I had
to restore the system from scratch - not a good sign. Good thing I have
little faith in Asus boards and keep many Acronis True Image backups on the
network! Anyway, the only settings I was changing was the CPU Frequency -
266 to 325, DRAM Frequency - Auto to DDR800 (all though Asus changes this
value base on the CPU Frequency), PCI Express - Auto to 100, PCI Clock -
Auto to 33.33, Spread Spectrum - Auto to Disabled and of course the Memory
Voltage - SPD to 2.1 volts and the timings changed to 4-4-4-12. The Memory
voltage and timings have been set to those values since day one without any
problems. That is it. I was following the "Over clocking and Tweaking
Guide -The Tech Repository Forums." It seems like when ever the DRAM
frequency gets over 900 the system will not go beyond the boot screen that
tells me to fix the Over clocking problem. I have built many computers but
for some reason this MB does not like to have anything changed in the BIOS.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

'Ken' wrote:
> Well, I created a real problem - during the OCing session and all the bad
> things the MB was doing the #$%*ing Raid 0 Array became corrupted and I
> had to restore the system from scratch - not a good sign. Good thing I
> have little faith in Asus boards and keep many Acronis True Image backups
> on the network! Anyway, the only settings I was changing was the CPU
> Frequency - 266 to 325, DRAM Frequency - Auto to DDR800 (all though Asus
> changes this value base on the CPU Frequency), PCI Express - Auto to 100,
> PCI Clock - Auto to 33.33, Spread Spectrum - Auto to Disabled and of
> course the Memory Voltage - SPD to 2.1 volts and the timings changed to
> 4-4-4-12. The Memory voltage and timings have been set to those values
> since day one without any problems. That is it. I was following the
> "Over clocking and Tweaking Guide -The Tech Repository Forums." It seems
> like when ever the DRAM frequency gets over 900 the system will not go
> beyond the boot screen that tells me to fix the Over clocking problem. I
> have built many computers but for some reason this MB does not like to
> have anything changed in the BIOS.

_____

You don't WANT the DRAM operating frequency above DDR2-800 UNTIL you
otherwise have a stable CPU and motherboard overclock. Many motherboard
manuals seem to be written in one language, proofed in a second language,
edited in a third, then translated back a forth until the meanings are
thoroughly confused. It may not be that your ASUS 965 chipset motherboard
"does not like to have anything changed in the BIOS"; it may be that you are
changing a parameter based on your reading of unclear instructions.

Have you looked at the bottom of page 2-14 in your ASUS P5B Deluxe manual?
The statement "Due to chipset limitation, DDR2-800 with CL=4 will be
downgraded to run at DDR2-667 by default setting. If you want to operate
with lower latency, adjust the memory timing manually."

You have a peach in one hand (the Intel P35 chipset motherboard) and a moldy
peach in the other (the Intel 965 chipset motherboard.) The statement above
from the P5B Deluxe motherboard manual indicates some limitations of the
much older Intel 965 chipset. You must unlink the memory clock speed from
the FSB and set it to operate at DDR2-800 or lower, no matter what the FSB
speed is.
Did you jump to 325 to 266 directly? With no intervening steps? That's a
22% jump, too much as an initial overclock attempt. Incremental steps
closer to 5% are better. The CPU voltage may also need to be changed.
Certainly a E6600 with a nominal 2.4 GHz speed should have no problem at 2.9
GHz (most nominal 1.8 GHz E4300 CPUs have no problem with 2.9 GHz.) Memory
and other BIOS settings are likely to be your problem, that and the 22%
initial jump.

I would also recommend NOT using RAID 0 when overclocking. It stands to
reason that if you overclock a CPU and motherboard by giving up operating
margins for speed, you should be especially careful not to do the same with
your hard drive system... RAID 1 makes a lot more sense in such a case.

Perhaps someone who actualy is overclocking an ASUS P5B Deluxe motherboard
with an Intel E6600 will reply to your questions. If you look for posts by
'Ed Medlin' you can read about his success running an Intel E6600 at 3.6
GHz... but that was with a much more modern chipset than the Intel 965
(nVidia 680i SLI).

> [...]

>>>system shuts down and reboots (sometimes) and comes back with a message
>>>saying something to the effect that the BIOS settings need to be changed.
>>>Sometimes the system just hangs on the "auto reboot" and I have to turn
>>>the power off and back on again to get it to boot to the BIOS. I have
>>>had this issue since day one when I had to change the voltage and timings
>>>for the Corsair Memory. After the reboot I go into the BIOS and change
>>>nothing and the system boots up and runs normally with the new settings.
>>>Is this just the way ASUS P5B acts or is something wrong. I was never
>>>really concerned about this strange behavior until I got the abit IP35
>>>Pro board and had zero "problems." The Asus system is over a year old
>>>and has never crashed or blue screened so it is very solid. I am just
>>>getting greedy and want it to run a little faster via over clocking.

Yes, I did increment gradually and yes it did run "ok" with some minor
increases but the board still "short circuited" every time I made a change
and gave me the BIOS over clocking error. I don't understand why there are
so many happy P5B Deluxe overclockers out there that have settings much
higher than the ones I was playing with. I really think I have a defective
board - every time I get near the BIOS it has to be rebooted twice or
powered down and then restarted. Since I only want to do some moderate over
clocking and trying to get a good replacement board out of Asus is a
exercise in futility - been there done that with a P5P800 board - you pushed
me over the edge - I'll buy another abit IP35 Pro and quite screwing around
with the Asus board. It will be retired to running an old 3.2 Prescott
heater. However, I sure would like hear from someone with this board to let
me know what the heck I'm doing wrong. I'll try posting on the Asus site
and see if I can get some action. Thanks for the help.

> [...]

>> have anything changed in the BIOS.
>>
>> "Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> .
>>> .
>>> _____
>>>
>>> So far you haven't described a real problem. It may be you have an
>>> option in the BIOS you should change to avoid the hang.
>>>
>>> To actually overclock the CPU you may need to increase the CPU voltage.
>>> Since you can change the memory clock frequency : CPU clock frequency
>>> ratio, it is not necessary to overclock your DDR2 memory to overclock a
>>> 1333 MHZ FSB Intel CPU. Why don't you try overclocking your ASUS
>>> motherboard system and post the results? You should easily get a 30% or
>>> greater overclock.
>>>
>>> Phil Weldon
>>>

>>> "Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Fishface

Ken wrote:
> Anyway, the only settings I was changing was the CPU Frequency - 266 to 325, DRAM Frequency - Auto to DDR800 (all
> though Asus
> changes this value base on the CPU Frequency) < ... >

Exactly what you don't want to do. By setting your memory to run
at its rated speed from the start, you are removing all the overclocking
headroom for which you bought the faster RAM. With your RAM set
at DDR2-800 in the bios, increasing the CPU Frequency to 333 MHz
results in trying to run your DDR2-800 at DDR2-1000 speed.

Instead, if you set the memory to run at DDR2-533, at a CPU Frequency
of 333 MHz, the RAM will then be running at DDR2-667, which is within
it's capability.

This must somehow makes sense to Chinese people, but the rest of us
would be happier with a setting called "FSBRAM Ratio," which we
could just set to 1:1.

Abit ip35 Pro restarts automatically after shutdown Conrad Abit 3 01-11-2010 01:22 PM
Re: E6600 versus E6750 and abit IP35 Pro MB? Fishface Overclocking 0 04-06-2008 03:17 PM
ABIT IP35 Pro, RAM t0ny Abit 0 01-12-2008 02:20 AM
ABIT IP35 Pro - disc boot sector is to be modified - warning msg ? august Abit 1 08-30-2007 10:11 PM
ABIT IP35 PRO + heat & power Jeff Abit 2 08-23-2007 02:11 PM