Overclocking Intel Q6600 stepping B3 on Asus Striker Extreme

slipknot

Hi,
I have the folloving setup:
-Asus Striker Extreme 680i SLI(Rev A2) BIOS 1401(latest)
-Intel Q6600 2.4GHz stepping B3(i think that the stepping is important for
subject)
-XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra
-2 x 1GB PC-6400 DDR2 800Mhz Patriot
-Thermaltake Big Typhoon Air Cooler
-Enermax Liberty EL620AWT 620W power supply
The problem is following.Everybody talks abaut overclocking Q6600
especially stepping G0(it overclock much better tham my B3) so I tried to
overclock my and I failed in every step.
Asus promotes Striker Extreme as overclocking/gamers MBO but I on it cant
change any parameter(especially voltages) in BIOS because everything I do
causes my computer to hang out.And I have to open my case to reset BIOS to
default values to go my computer working(and lose warranty) .CPU parameter
recall feature that mobo is supposed to have in my case doesnt work if I
change voltages and instead of automaticcly reseting BIOS values to default
I have to do it via jumper on motherboard.My latest unsuccesful attempt of
overclocking was:
(changein voltages)
CPU Vcore=1.3(default) to 1.5
NB core=1.25 to 1.5
HT from 1.25 to 1.4
The other voltages were set to auto
(the boards really does offer to change voltages of many stuff)
Bus Speed from 266MHz to 333Mhz
Core speed from 9x266Mhz=2400MHz to 9x333Mhz=3000Mhz
Rated FSB from 4x266=1066MHz to 4x333=1333Mhz
FSB Memory Ratio 1:1
And after I applied these setup my comuter is just hanging out so I have to
clear CMOS mannualy.I tried various combinations of parameters for
overclocking but nothing doesnt seem to work.So I am asking people who know
much more abaut hardware than I do what went wrong.Am I having faulty
CPU,or MBO or I am just simply doing something wrong.
Thanks for answers!

Daniel Albuschat

slipknot schrieb:
> Hi,

[snip]
> So I am asking people who know
> much more abaut hardware than I do what went wrong.Am I having faulty
> CPU,or MBO or I am just simply doing something wrong.
> Thanks for answers!

That's how you should go about overclocking:
First, increase the FSB in SMALL steps and see what happens.
After you considerably increased the FSB (let's say 40-100MHz) you
should do a CPU-stability test with software like Prime95.
Watch the temperatures (with software like SpeedFan) while Prime95 runs.
It should not go above 65C under maximum load if you want to have a
stable, safe overclocking system.
Only when the CPU becomes unstable under load, yet the temperatures are
okay, you should touch the vcore. The vcore is MUCH more dangerous to
change than the FSB because it can hurt the CPU. Overclocking the FSB is
nowadays not dangerous to your CPU.

So first reset everything to default. Inrease the FSB (and the FSB
only!) in small steps. See what happens and how far you can go. Watch
the temperatures and run Prime95 (or other CPU-benchmarks) regularly.
It's also wise to 'uncouple' the FSB from the RAM clockspeeds so your
RAM will not be the reason for a failed overclock.

I myself haven't had much success on my Q6600 G0, either. It didn't went
anything above 3.0GHz, although it's watercooled and the temps are OK. I
suspect my low PSU (470W) to be the cause of this, but I haven't found
the time (nor the need) to test the overclockability with a bigger PSU.

Regards,

Daniel Albuschat

slipknot

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 13:01:17 +0100, Daniel Albuschat wrote:

> slipknot schrieb:
>> Hi,

> [snip]
>> So I am asking people who know
>> much more abaut hardware than I do what went wrong.Am I having faulty
>> CPU,or MBO or I am just simply doing something wrong.
>> Thanks for answers!

> That's how you should go about overclocking:
> First, increase the FSB in SMALL steps and see what happens.
> After you considerably increased the FSB (let's say 40-100MHz) you
> should do a CPU-stability test with software like Prime95.
> Watch the temperatures (with software like SpeedFan) while Prime95 runs.
> It should not go above 65C under maximum load if you want to have a
> stable, safe overclocking system.
> Only when the CPU becomes unstable under load, yet the temperatures are
> okay, you should touch the vcore. The vcore is MUCH more dangerous to
> change than the FSB because it can hurt the CPU. Overclocking the FSB is
> nowadays not dangerous to your CPU.
>
> So first reset everything to default. Inrease the FSB (and the FSB
> only!) in small steps. See what happens and how far you can go. Watch
> the temperatures and run Prime95 (or other CPU-benchmarks) regularly.
> It's also wise to 'uncouple' the FSB from the RAM clockspeeds so your
> RAM will not be the reason for a failed overclock.
>
> I myself haven't had much success on my Q6600 G0, either. It didn't went
> anything above 3.0GHz, although it's watercooled and the temps are OK. I
> suspect my low PSU (470W) to be the cause of this, but I haven't found
> the time (nor the need) to test the overclockability with a bigger PSU.
>
> Regards,
>
> Daniel Albuschat

Thanks very much for Your answer!

Fishface

slipknot wrote:
> FSB Memory Ratio 1:1

I *think* it needs to be 2:1 or leave it on the synced setting,
or you will be trying to run it twice as fast as you expect, since
it is "double data rate."

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Fishface" typed:
> slipknot wrote:
>> FSB Memory Ratio 1:1

> I *think* it needs to be 2:1 or leave it on the synced setting,
> or you will be trying to run it twice as fast as you expect, since
> it is "double data rate."

Indeed, I was going to say the same thing. slipknot is trying to run DDR2
800 at 1333. It's extremely doubtful that it'll do that. My DDR2 800 manages
900 no problems at SPD timings and 1.8V. (I haven't tried it any faster).
However. I'd be *extremely* surprised it it ran at 1066 at defualt VDIMM (or
at all), yet alone 1333.
--
Shaun.

Phil Weldon

'~misfit~' wrote:
| Indeed, I was going to say the same thing. slipknot is trying to run DDR2
| 800 at 1333. It's extremely doubtful that it'll do that. My DDR2 800
manages
| 900 no problems at SPD timings and 1.8V. (I haven't tried it any faster).
| However. I'd be *extremely* surprised it it ran at 1066 at defualt VDIMM
(or
| at all), yet alone 1333.
_____

I agree with you. I have found that my Patriot eXtreme 2 X 1 GByte
DDR2-1066 (PC8500) on an EVGA 680i motherboard works well at 1200 MHz (1 : 1
CPU clock : Memory clock ratio) and 2.3 v (the extended SPD 'SLI Ready'
indicates 2.3 volts as the default for DDR2-1066 operation). It CERTAINLY
will not do 1333 MHz at 1 :1 (not that 1 : 1 is a whole lot better than 2 :
1).

Blame the confusion about DDR2 memory and the CPU Clock : Memory Clock
ratio on the drive in the first half of 2007 by memory vendors to justify
the extremely high prices then charged for DDR2-800 and faster memory (I
paid $100 US per GByte in early April 2007 for my DDR2-1066).

Phil Weldon

news:47968e6d$(E-Mail Removed)...

q6600 striker o/c RobinG Asus 4 03-18-2008 11:13 AM
Oveclocking Intel Q6600 stepping B3 on Asus Striker Extreme slipknot Asus 3 01-20-2008 12:51 PM
Quad Core Intel Q6600 - upcoming G0 stepping can run at much higher temps and............. John Lewis Asus 43 06-24-2007 10:41 AM
Striker vs. Striker Extreme Thomas Andersson Asus 4 06-10-2007 08:45 AM
Asus Commando vs. Striker Extreme? Scott Smith Asus 5 02-20-2007 05:56 PM