Overclocking: Leave voltage as is?

aether

I'm running a 3500+ (90nm) processor on an AN8 ('Fatal1ty')
motherboard, and I've overclocked it from 2.2 to 2.5 GHz. However, the
voltage remains at 1.4 despite having multiple options in BIOS. Should
I up the voltage? If so, how much? Could I be damaging the processor by
leaving the voltage as is? I've not encountered any problems, but it
does seem as though it would require more juice.

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
aether says...
> I'm running a 3500+ (90nm) processor on an AN8 ('Fatal1ty')
> motherboard, and I've overclocked it from 2.2 to 2.5 GHz. However, the
> voltage remains at 1.4 despite having multiple options in BIOS. Should
> I up the voltage? If so, how much? Could I be damaging the processor by
> leaving the voltage as is? I've not encountered any problems, but it
> does seem as though it would require more juice.

If it works, leave it alone. Upping the voltage increases heat and
damages the processor.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

Pete D

Sounds like there is nothing to fix here, move along!!

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm running a 3500+ (90nm) processor on an AN8 ('Fatal1ty')
> motherboard, and I've overclocked it from 2.2 to 2.5 GHz. However, the
> voltage remains at 1.4 despite having multiple options in BIOS. Should
> I up the voltage? If so, how much? Could I be damaging the processor by
> leaving the voltage as is? I've not encountered any problems, but it
> does seem as though it would require more juice.

aether

Will leave as is. At one point, I did increase it to 1.5. Was that
enough to damage the processor? (the max is 1.8)

Ben Pope

aether wrote:
> Will leave as is. At one point, I did increase it to 1.5. Was that
> enough to damage the processor? (the max is 1.8)

Something will shut it down before it is damaged.

It probably won't be damaged until past 100C.

Voltage doesn't damage CPUs, heat does.

If there is not enough voltage, you will get transient errors (but no
damage).

Ben

Paul

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Will leave as is. At one point, I did increase it to 1.5. Was that
> enough to damage the processor? (the max is 1.8)

You can judge that from the processor datasheet, not from what
the BIOS is saying. For example, there are tech docs here:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/...9_7203,00.html

Absolute max Vcore is listed on PDF page 51. It is 1.65 volts.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/31411.pdf

If it was my processor, I wouldn't use more than 1.65V. In addition,
due to overvolting by some Vcore circuits, a safer limit would be
1.6V. The higher voltages are fine for veteran overclockers on
unlimited budgets :-)

Next, look at the operating data:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/cont...docs/30430.pdf

On page 13, I see ADA3500DIK4BI. Maybe that is the 90nm processor,
I'm not really sure. Look at the operating points. An extra 0.050V
buys 200MHz of extra core. That is AMD's estimate. If you set the
voltage to 1.5V, instead of 1.4V, that means you should be able to
go from 2200 to 2600MHz.

To test stability, use something like Prime95 (mersenne.org). First
try your overclock at 1.5V . See if the board runs error free for
at least several hours. Now, drop the voltage 0.050V at a time
(or whatever the smallest step the BIOS allows for voltage change).
Take small steps, so you don't corrupt your operating system.
(I use a Knoppix read-only linux boot disk for this kind of testing.
There is a linux version of Prime95 available from mersenne.org .)
At the point that it starts to error in Prime95, you have reached a
limit. Now, you want to apply a bit more voltage again. Run Prime95
again. You should be able to come up with a set of conditions which
is optimal for your particular processor, and stable for hours on
end.

Electromigration is one failure mechanism, and it is my belief
that the cases you read about, where a processor can no longer
run at its rated speed, is an example of electromigration damage.
Electromigration is related to the amount of current flowing in
the wires that route the logic signals on the silicon die. The
wires are made wide enough, that the chip can operate at frequencies
higher than the nominal operating frequency. You should be able
to operate your processor, at least as fast as the faster speed
bin version of your processor die. There is no way to estimate
how much further you can safely go, as each transition (from 130nm
to 90nm to 65nm and so on) will bring with it, different
electromigration rules. It doesn't sound like your current overclock
is too extreme.

HTH,
Paul

David Schwartz

"aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Will leave as is. At one point, I did increase it to 1.5. Was that
> enough to damage the processor? (the max is 1.8)

So long as you didn't overheat it, the higher voltage won't damage it
(since it's still less than the absolute maximum permitted). You should use
the lowest voltage at which the processor is reliable. Keep a close eye on
the CPU temperature, especially as summer rolls around and as the fan ages
and dust accumulates on the heat sink. If the CPU becomes unreliable or the
temperature gets too high, re-evaluate everything.

DS

aether

> David Schwartz wrote:
> "aether" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > Will leave as is. At one point, I did increase it to 1.5. Was that
> > enough to damage the processor? (the max is 1.8)

> So long as you didn't overheat it, the higher voltage won't

damage it
> (since it's still less than the absolute maximum permitted). You

should use
> the lowest voltage at which the processor is reliable. Keep a close

eye on
> the CPU temperature, especially as summer rolls around and as the fan

ages
> and dust accumulates on the heat sink. If the CPU becomes unreliable

or the
> temperature gets too high, re-evaluate everything.
>
> DS

I'm sure it didn't overheat, as I was monitoring it and the highest I
saw it reach was 53c. At that point, I lowered the voltage back to 1.4.
The members of this newsgroup have been a big help to me. I appreciate
it.

Trent

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 23:55:41 +0100 Ben Pope <benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com>
wrote in Message id:
<1111964140.3094d6d7de75cfdeab25df9bee798ae0@teran ews>:

>Voltage doesn't damage CPUs, heat does.

You are an utter ****ing imbecile.

NuTCrAcKeR

Please visit alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd for better information than
is being presented here.

- NuTs