Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Overclocking newb on the block

 
 
Industrial One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Wassou. I've got a dualcore Pentium D 925, an Acer F672CR mobo, a gig
of ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card, and an onboard sound card.
Since I bought the new comp, I wanted to take advantage of the 2x
faster speed so I've been doing a lot of video encoding, but since I
was so used to having slowass 5-6 fps on my old comp, I decided to
maximize the quality settings and now I also get about 5-6 fps
encoding on this one. I got the PC relatively cheap and I now regret
for being so jewish and not waiting 'till I accumulated enough cash
for a more modern machine. So since I'm laid off, buying another PC is
not an option, hence I wanna overclock this bitch.

Where do I start? Is my CPU ideal for overclocking? Can I safely alter
3000 MHz to 4000 in my BIOS? How do I know what the right voltage
values are to set? What are the key aspects I should pay attention to?
During video encoding or whatever hogs up the CPU to 100%, my mobo
temp hops to 47 C and my CPU remains at 22. How hot can the mobo get
before it becomes a potential risk? Will a faster CPU affect my GPU
whose heat is already at a hell level (66 C)?

I got about 3 fans, one from the PSU, a small secondary auxillary fan,
and a bigger CPU fan with a large funnel.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Augustus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2008, 12:14 AM

"Industrial One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wassou. I've got a dualcore Pentium D 925, an Acer F672CR mobo, a gig
> of ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card, and an onboard sound card.
> Since I bought the new comp, I wanted to take advantage of the 2x
> faster speed so I've been doing a lot of video encoding, but since I
> was so used to having slowass 5-6 fps on my old comp, I decided to
> maximize the quality settings and now I also get about 5-6 fps
> encoding on this one. I got the PC relatively cheap and I now regret
> for being so jewish and not waiting 'till I accumulated enough cash
> for a more modern machine. So since I'm laid off, buying another PC is
> not an option, hence I wanna overclock this bitch.
>
> Where do I start? Is my CPU ideal for overclocking? Can I safely alter
> 3000 MHz to 4000 in my BIOS? How do I know what the right voltage
> values are to set? What are the key aspects I should pay attention to?
> During video encoding or whatever hogs up the CPU to 100%, my mobo
> temp hops to 47 C and my CPU remains at 22. How hot can the mobo get
> before it becomes a potential risk? Will a faster CPU affect my GPU
> whose heat is already at a hell level (66 C)?
>
> I got about 3 fans, one from the PSU, a small secondary auxillary fan,
> and a bigger CPU fan with a large funnel.


Try leaving out the ethnic slurs and fould language if you expect any
replies.....


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Augustus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2008, 12:15 AM
>
> Try leaving out the ethnic slurs and fould language if you expect any
> replies.....



"foul language..."


 
Reply With Quote
 
RobV
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2008, 01:27 AM
Augustus wrote:
> "Industrial One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wassou. I've got a dualcore Pentium D 925, an Acer F672CR mobo, a gig
>> of ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card, and an onboard sound card.
>> Since I bought the new comp, I wanted to take advantage of the 2x
>> faster speed so I've been doing a lot of video encoding, but since I
>> was so used to having slowass 5-6 fps on my old comp, I decided to
>> maximize the quality settings and now I also get about 5-6 fps
>> encoding on this one. I got the PC relatively cheap and I now regret
>> for being so jewish and not waiting 'till I accumulated enough cash
>> for a more modern machine. So since I'm laid off, buying another PC
>> is not an option, hence I wanna overclock this bitch.
>>
>> Where do I start? Is my CPU ideal for overclocking? Can I safely
>> alter 3000 MHz to 4000 in my BIOS? How do I know what the right
>> voltage values are to set? What are the key aspects I should pay
>> attention to? During video encoding or whatever hogs up the CPU to
>> 100%, my mobo temp hops to 47 C and my CPU remains at 22. How hot
>> can the mobo get before it becomes a potential risk? Will a faster
>> CPU affect my GPU whose heat is already at a hell level (66 C)?
>>
>> I got about 3 fans, one from the PSU, a small secondary auxillary
>> fan, and a bigger CPU fan with a large funnel.

>
> Try leaving out the ethnic slurs and fould language if you expect any
> replies.....


Agreed.


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Somewhere on teh intarwebs "RobV" typed:
> Augustus wrote:
>> "Industrial One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Wassou. I've got a dualcore Pentium D 925, an Acer F672CR mobo, a
>>> gig of ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT video card, and an onboard sound
>>> card. Since I bought the new comp, I wanted to take advantage of
>>> the 2x faster speed so I've been doing a lot of video encoding, but
>>> since I was so used to having slowass 5-6 fps on my old comp, I
>>> decided to maximize the quality settings and now I also get about
>>> 5-6 fps encoding on this one. I got the PC relatively cheap and I
>>> now regret for being so jewish and not waiting 'till I accumulated
>>> enough cash for a more modern machine. So since I'm laid off,
>>> buying another PC is not an option, hence I wanna overclock this
>>> bitch. Where do I start? Is my CPU ideal for overclocking? Can I safely
>>> alter 3000 MHz to 4000 in my BIOS? How do I know what the right
>>> voltage values are to set? What are the key aspects I should pay
>>> attention to? During video encoding or whatever hogs up the CPU to
>>> 100%, my mobo temp hops to 47 C and my CPU remains at 22. How hot
>>> can the mobo get before it becomes a potential risk? Will a faster
>>> CPU affect my GPU whose heat is already at a hell level (66 C)?
>>>
>>> I got about 3 fans, one from the PSU, a small secondary auxillary
>>> fan, and a bigger CPU fan with a large funnel.

>>
>> Try leaving out the ethnic slurs and fould language if you expect any
>> replies.....

>
> Agreed.


I'm glad you guys said that, it saved me from tearing into him.

M u s t l e a r n c o n t r o l .
--
Shaun.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Industrial One
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2008, 04:44 AM
Why the hell do I waste my time on these faggy newsgroups...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Augustus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2008, 05:24 AM

"Industrial One" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why the hell do I waste my time on these faggy newsgroups...


I was asking myself the same question regarding you as well.....


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boot Block and Uniform Block Flash Memory and Executin In Place(XIP) karthikbalaguru Embedded 17 11-05-2007 10:13 PM
newb Question... Your All Purpose Decoy Asus 2 12-03-2005 12:31 AM
Newb question about Bios Upgrade Viator Shuttle 2 06-05-2005 02:40 PM
NewB AMD overclocking questions Gabagimpy AMD Overclocking 1 12-18-2003 10:00 PM
NEWB needs some help upgrading dimize@nospam.com Asus 2 12-17-2003 04:06 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment