Overclocking . . . .

David Windisch

Hi, all concerned:

I give up . .

.. . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.

What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs, and
all that stuff.

I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go away,
partly by throwing money at them.

I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an Asus
2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.

Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.

The consensus is:

D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB

E6600 proc

Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.

This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning desire
for obscene frspd, right?

Kind regards,

Dave Windisch
Cincinnati

Oh, yeh . . any one want the castaways? Be reasonable <BG>

Fishface

David Windisch wrote:

> I give up . .
>
> . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
> N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.

There's charts here:
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
....which show frame rates for various video cards. Although they don't show
the other relevant system specs (?!), it appears that it may be CPU limited.
Interesting discussion here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t27683.html
It would probably be worthwhile to discover at which point the 8800GTS
*would* become the limit.

<...>

> Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
>
> The consensus is:
>
> D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
>
> E6600 proc

The E6600 overclocked to 3.2 or so sounds like a reasonable choice.
The guys in the forum believe the game not to be multithreaded.

> Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.

Ratios?

Ed Medlin

"Fishface" <(E-Mail Removed)?> wrote in message
> David Windisch wrote:
>
>> I give up . .
>>
>> . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed
>> Asus
>> N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.

> There's charts here:
> http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html
> ...which show frame rates for various video cards. Although they don't
> show
> the other relevant system specs (?!), it appears that it may be CPU
> limited.
> Interesting discussion here:
> http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion...hp?t27683.html
> It would probably be worthwhile to discover at which point the 8800GTS
> *would* become the limit.
>
> <...>
>
>> Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
>>
>> The consensus is:
>>
>> D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
>>
>> E6600 proc

> The E6600 overclocked to 3.2 or so sounds like a reasonable choice.
> The guys in the forum believe the game not to be multithreaded.
>
>> Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.

> Ratios?

FSX SP1 improved multi-core usage for the program. It now seems to
operate with dual core Intels much better.
I think he means memory ratios to CPU. I am not familiar with the bios
on that particular MB so I am not sure what OC options he may have.

Ed

R. J. Salvi

"David Windisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:465ea3eb$0$16696$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, all concerned:
>
> I give up . .
>
> . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
> N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.
>
> What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs, and
> all that stuff.
>
> I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go away,
> partly by throwing money at them.
>
> I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an Asus
> 2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.
>
> Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
>
> The consensus is:
>
> D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
>
> E6600 proc
>
> Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.
>
> This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning desire
> for obscene frspd, right?

Could be a very nice system. Here's mine:

QX6700
DDR2-800 (3GB)
D7975XBX2 (latest BIOS - 5/23/07)
eVGA 8800GTS (640 MB)
Fusion HDTV Express
150GB Raptor
Vista Biz x86

The extent of my overclocking was to simply raise the multiplier to 12 (from
10) and lower vCore to 1.2875 (from 1.35). The CPU runs at 3.19GHz and is
stable as a rock. I had previously experimented setting it up with a CPU
multiplier of 8 and the FSB set to 1333 (RAM set to DDR2-667 with a final
freq. of 832MHz). At 1333 x 8, the CPU was still at 2.66GHz with only a
marginal boost in performance, but the RAM benchmarks jumped noticeably due
to the higher FSB. I mention this FSB tweak because afaik, the E6600 doesn't
allow a multiplier change. I've since settled with just a multiplier-based
overclocking scheme.

I'm not a gamer so I can't shed any light on fps, but the machine performs
nicely. I don't think you'll regret your choice(s).

But, if $$$ were no object, you could go this route:

Supermicro X7DAL-E+
http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...X/X7DAL-E+.cfm
(2) XEON X5355 quad-core

....though you wouldn't be able to overclock it. I know, who cares. :-)
--
RJ

Bob Knowlden

If you can wait a few days, you might wish to consider a motherboard based
on the new Intel P35 chipset. (Some online vendors claim stock now, but some
like www.newegg.com do not - maybe Newegg is waiting for the official
announcement, which I believe is expected on 4 June.)

The performance of the new boards is supposed to be only slightly better
than the 975X (with DDR2 memory), but you may want to investigate further.

Return address scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"David Windisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:465ea3eb$0$16696$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, all concerned:
>
> I give up . .
>
> . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed Asus
> N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.
>
> What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs, and
> all that stuff.
>
> I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go away,
> partly by throwing money at them.
>
> I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an Asus
> 2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.
>
> Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
>
> The consensus is:
>
> D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
>
> E6600 proc
>
> Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.
>
> This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning desire
> for obscene frspd, right?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dave Windisch
> Cincinnati
>
> Oh, yeh . . any one want the castaways? Be reasonable <BG>

David Windisch

Tks to all the reply-ers. I can wait, and thanks again.
Regards Dave

"Bob Knowlden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you can wait a few days, you might wish to consider a motherboard based
> on the new Intel P35 chipset. (Some online vendors claim stock now, but
> some like www.newegg.com do not - maybe Newegg is waiting for the official
> announcement, which I believe is expected on 4 June.)
>
> The performance of the new boards is supposed to be only slightly better
> than the 975X (with DDR2 memory), but you may want to investigate further.

SNIP

don't look

How do you raise a locked multiplier??

"R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f3B7i.6731$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> "David Windisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:465ea3eb$0$16696$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi, all concerned:
> >
> > I give up . .
> >
> > . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed

Asus
> > N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.
> >
> > What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs,

and
> > all that stuff.
> >
> > I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go

away,
> > partly by throwing money at them.
> >
> > I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an Asus
> > 2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.
> >
> > Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
> >
> > The consensus is:
> >
> > D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
> >
> > E6600 proc
> >
> > Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.
> >
> > This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning

desire
> > for obscene frspd, right?

> Could be a very nice system. Here's mine:
>
> QX6700
> DDR2-800 (3GB)
> D7975XBX2 (latest BIOS - 5/23/07)
> eVGA 8800GTS (640 MB)
> Fusion HDTV Express
> 150GB Raptor
> Vista Biz x86
>
> The extent of my overclocking was to simply raise the multiplier to 12

(from
> 10) and lower vCore to 1.2875 (from 1.35). The CPU runs at 3.19GHz and is
> stable as a rock. I had previously experimented setting it up with a CPU
> multiplier of 8 and the FSB set to 1333 (RAM set to DDR2-667 with a final
> freq. of 832MHz). At 1333 x 8, the CPU was still at 2.66GHz with only a
> marginal boost in performance, but the RAM benchmarks jumped noticeably

due
> to the higher FSB. I mention this FSB tweak because afaik, the E6600

doesn't
> allow a multiplier change. I've since settled with just a multiplier-based
> overclocking scheme.
>
> I'm not a gamer so I can't shed any light on fps, but the machine performs
> nicely. I don't think you'll regret your choice(s).
>
> But, if $$$ were no object, you could go this route:
>
> Supermicro X7DAL-E+
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...X/X7DAL-E+.cfm
> (2) XEON X5355 quad-core
>
> ...though you wouldn't be able to overclock it. I know, who cares. :-)
> --
> RJ

Phil Weldon

'don't look' wrote:
| How do you raise a locked multiplier??
_____

The Extreme versions of Core 2 have unlocked multipliers. The QX6700 and
X6800 have unlocked multipliers and cost just less than $1000 US.

For other Core 2 Duo CPUs the multiplier can be set to stock or lower, but
not above.

Phil Weldon

R. J. Salvi

What Phil said. :-)

--
RJ

"don't look" <don't (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> How do you raise a locked multiplier??
>

> "R. J. Salvi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f3B7i.6731$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> "David Windisch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:465ea3eb$0$16696$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi, all concerned:
>> >
>> > I give up . .
>> >
>> > . . on running FSX-SP1 past 13 fr/sec on either an over-everything-ed

> Asus
>> > N7N8X or a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, 2 gigs of PC3200, 7600GS vidcrd.
>> >
>> > What I'd prefer is not having to set up profiles, shut down programs,

> and
>> > all that stuff.
>> >
>> > I'm old, tired, somewhat indolent, and want to make the problems go

> away,
>> > partly by throwing money at them.
>> >
>> > I think I got a good start at least in throwing money by winning an
>> > Asus
>> > 2xAMD mobo on epay (sic) last week.
>> >
>> > Decided to go Intel after listening to a local or two.
>> >
>> > The consensus is:
>> >
>> > D7975XBX2 mobo, DDR2-800, bigSATA, 8800 GTS 640MB
>> >
>> > E6600 proc
>> >
>> > Don't care to fiddle with ratios and stuff any more.
>> >
>> > This is the last one. Really ;o) It ought to outlast any burning

> desire
>> > for obscene frspd, right?

>> Could be a very nice system. Here's mine:
>>
>> QX6700
>> DDR2-800 (3GB)
>> D7975XBX2 (latest BIOS - 5/23/07)
>> eVGA 8800GTS (640 MB)
>> Fusion HDTV Express
>> 150GB Raptor
>> Vista Biz x86
>>
>> The extent of my overclocking was to simply raise the multiplier to 12

> (from
>> 10) and lower vCore to 1.2875 (from 1.35). The CPU runs at 3.19GHz and is
>> stable as a rock. I had previously experimented setting it up with a CPU
>> multiplier of 8 and the FSB set to 1333 (RAM set to DDR2-667 with a final
>> freq. of 832MHz). At 1333 x 8, the CPU was still at 2.66GHz with only a
>> marginal boost in performance, but the RAM benchmarks jumped noticeably

> due
>> to the higher FSB. I mention this FSB tweak because afaik, the E6600

> doesn't
>> allow a multiplier change. I've since settled with just a
>> multiplier-based
>> overclocking scheme.
>>
>> I'm not a gamer so I can't shed any light on fps, but the machine
>> performs
>> nicely. I don't think you'll regret your choice(s).
>>
>> But, if $$$ were no object, you could go this route:
>>
>> Supermicro X7DAL-E+
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/m...X/X7DAL-E+.cfm
>> (2) XEON X5355 quad-core
>>
>> ...though you wouldn't be able to overclock it. I know, who cares. :-)
>> --
>> RJ

don't look

Ah.Yes.Thank you.

news:Ra28i.15839$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...