Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

P2B-D POST problems

 
 
nobody@nowhere.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003, 04:01 AM
I have a Asus P2B-D rev 1.06 D03 that I just picked up on Ebay. I am
trying to get it to finish POST and I am having problems with it. I
have it bare on the bench. Right now I have tested good components
from my bench box in it


PIII 500
One Kingston SDRAM
PCI video card
Keyboard.
External speaker
monetary switch to turn it on
Good new Enermax 350 watt PS


With the terminator card in slot 2 it won't post at all, not a beep
not a video signal..nothing. The board powers up, the CPU fan starts
up but that is it.


With the terminator card out the POST starts. The usual one beep from
the external speaker. Correctly identifies the RAM and the CPU But
then I get a continuos beeping from the onboard speaker, and a
keyboard error, with no ability to input keyboard commands. I just end
up after the < Detecting HDD > screen at


Keyboard Error or no keyboard present
CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded


Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup


but I have no keyboard response, and my onboard speaker keeps up a
continuous chirping, which happens whether or not a keyboard is
plugged in or not.


I have re seated everything, checked the jumpers, tried three
different power supplies, pulled the Kingston RAM out and put the RAM
that came with the board = Hyundai PC 100 ECC Registered in,....
Pulled the battery and shorted the leads. Same behavior, same problem.


I am out of ideas???


m
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nobody@nowhere.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-09-2003, 11:02 PM
Update

I tried a USB keyboard. This allows me to use the keyboard, and go the
BIOS and save setup defaults. It will then POST untill it doesn't find
a floppy to boot from, which isn't there.

However, the chirping from the on board speaker never ceases and I
still can not post with the terminator card in place.


On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:01:14 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have a Asus P2B-D rev 1.06 D03 that I just picked up on Ebay. I am
>trying to get it to finish POST and I am having problems with it. I
>have it bare on the bench. Right now I have tested good components
>from my bench box in it
>
>
>PIII 500
>One Kingston SDRAM
>PCI video card
>Keyboard.
>External speaker
>monetary switch to turn it on
>Good new Enermax 350 watt PS
>
>
>With the terminator card in slot 2 it won't post at all, not a beep
>not a video signal..nothing. The board powers up, the CPU fan starts
>up but that is it.
>
>
>With the terminator card out the POST starts. The usual one beep from
>the external speaker. Correctly identifies the RAM and the CPU But
>then I get a continuos beeping from the onboard speaker, and a
>keyboard error, with no ability to input keyboard commands. I just end
>up after the < Detecting HDD > screen at
>
>
>Keyboard Error or no keyboard present
>CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
>
>
>Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup
>
>
>but I have no keyboard response, and my onboard speaker keeps up a
>continuous chirping, which happens whether or not a keyboard is
>plugged in or not.
>
>
>I have re seated everything, checked the jumpers, tried three
>different power supplies, pulled the Kingston RAM out and put the RAM
>that came with the board = Hyundai PC 100 ECC Registered in,....
>Pulled the battery and shorted the leads. Same behavior, same problem.
>
>
>I am out of ideas???
>
>
>m


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
P2B
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003, 12:11 AM


(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Update
>
> I tried a USB keyboard. This allows me to use the keyboard, and go the
> BIOS and save setup defaults. It will then POST untill it doesn't find
> a floppy to boot from, which isn't there.
>
> However, the chirping from the on board speaker never ceases and I
> still can not post with the terminator card in place.


I think the terminator card problem is a non-issue - I've never used a
terminator, these boards will quite happily run a single CPU in either
slot with the other slot empty... speaking of which, have you tried the
CPU in the other slot? Any change?

It's very difficult to diagnose POST problems without a POST diagnostic
card - borrow one if you can. The Award BIOS post code 0Eh description
is "test F000h segment shadow to see whether it is R/W-able or not. If
test fails, keep beeping the speaker". I suspect this is what's
happening on your board.

F000h is the memory location where BIOS starts execution. It copies
itself to RAM (the "shadow") to enable faster execution, and I suspect
this step is failing resulting in the continuous beeping. I'd suggest
swapping out the RAM, but you already did that...

I don't have direct experience of this problem, but the fact it happens
with two different RAM modules, and you have keyboard detection problems
as well, makes me suspect a messed-up BIOS. About all I can suggest is:

- make sure you have a clean BIOS reset: disconnect the power supply
from the board, remove the battery (check it's voltage while out), and
short the battery contacts together for 60 seconds.
- remove the BIOS chip, check the pins are straight and clean, re-insert
firmly.
- give the board a careful physical inspection under magnification,
looking for damaged traces, foreign objects in the slots, bent pins on
peripheral and I/O connectors etc.
- try the RAM in another slot?

HTH, sorry I couldn't be more specific...

P2B

> On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 20:01:14 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>
>>I have a Asus P2B-D rev 1.06 D03 that I just picked up on Ebay. I am
>>trying to get it to finish POST and I am having problems with it. I
>>have it bare on the bench. Right now I have tested good components

>
>>from my bench box in it

>
>>
>>PIII 500
>>One Kingston SDRAM
>>PCI video card
>>Keyboard.
>>External speaker
>>monetary switch to turn it on
>>Good new Enermax 350 watt PS
>>
>>
>>With the terminator card in slot 2 it won't post at all, not a beep
>>not a video signal..nothing. The board powers up, the CPU fan starts
>>up but that is it.
>>
>>
>>With the terminator card out the POST starts. The usual one beep from
>>the external speaker. Correctly identifies the RAM and the CPU But
>>then I get a continuos beeping from the onboard speaker, and a
>>keyboard error, with no ability to input keyboard commands. I just end
>>up after the < Detecting HDD > screen at
>>
>>
>>Keyboard Error or no keyboard present
>>CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded
>>
>>
>>Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter Setup
>>
>>
>>but I have no keyboard response, and my onboard speaker keeps up a
>>continuous chirping, which happens whether or not a keyboard is
>>plugged in or not.
>>
>>
>>I have re seated everything, checked the jumpers, tried three
>>different power supplies, pulled the Kingston RAM out and put the RAM
>>that came with the board = Hyundai PC 100 ECC Registered in,....
>>Pulled the battery and shorted the leads. Same behavior, same problem.
>>
>>
>>I am out of ideas???
>>
>>
>>m

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A7N8X-X Wont get past post (or even post) James Asus 7 11-19-2005 03:38 PM
A7N8X-X Wont get past post (or even post) James Asus 1 11-17-2005 08:15 PM
SN45GV2 - will POST, won't POST Chris Davies Shuttle 5 08-12-2004 08:43 PM
Asus SP97-V and strange post/no post problem Olli Meckelburg Asus 0 02-14-2004 12:25 PM
post 52h , 8k7a, interesting post. Trunk Epox 6 01-23-2004 04:11 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment