P4 *OR* ATHLON : WHAT IS THE CURRENT 'SWEET SPOT" MOBOS?

Chuck

Namely those that best combine price, upgradeability, and features?

More interested in stability than overclocking, but wont rule out an OC if
its *really* worth it.

I'll take either an Athlon or a P4 board as I'm basically starting from
scratch this time around.

Would like (but I'm not married to it) onboard nic and soundcard, unless
that would hamper speed/effectiveness...

Thanks,

Chuck

RamFan

GA-7VT600-L ($68.99 Directron.com) will handle 200 FSB CPUs and supports DDR
PC3200 at 400 FSB, Barton 2500+ ($87.99, same place). Sweet combo, low
price.
--
RamFan- 3/10's of 437 MM 3 & 4

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Namely those that best combine price, upgradeability, and features?
>
> More interested in stability than overclocking, but wont rule out an OC if
> its *really* worth it.
>
> I'll take either an Athlon or a P4 board as I'm basically starting from
> scratch this time around.
>
> Would like (but I'm not married to it) onboard nic and soundcard, unless
> that would hamper speed/effectiveness...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chuck

Usenetter

THE board of the moment is the Abit NF7-S2 - beats the Epoxes hollow.
THE chip of the moment is the Duron 1.6 Applebred, which on the NF7 achieves
250 x 10.
It's basically a Barton core with 192/256k cache disabled - but a simple L2
mod re-enables it.
It's also half the price of a 2500+
Unbeatable combo.
Get some TwinMOS CH-5 or Samsung-chip memory.

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Namely those that best combine price, upgradeability, and features?
>
> More interested in stability than overclocking, but wont rule out an OC if
> its *really* worth it.
>
> I'll take either an Athlon or a P4 board as I'm basically starting from
> scratch this time around.
>
> Would like (but I'm not married to it) onboard nic and soundcard, unless
> that would hamper speed/effectiveness...
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chuck

Roland Scheidegger

Can't agree there. Sure, these mods are fun, but in at least some cases
it won't work (cause the cache is defective). And you're wrong that it's
a Barton core, it's a Thoroughbred (Barton's have 512KB cache).
Basically, the Duron 1.6 is a Athlon XP (Thoroughbred) 1900 with
disabled (possibly defective) 3/4 cache. Since Athlon XP 1900 isn't
really that much more expensive, I'd rather suggest that, unless you do
modding as a hobby or really need to save that 15 USD. (Or, if you want
to spend a bit more, the XP (Barton) 2500 still offers excellent value
for the money and overclocks reasonably well usually.)