Al

I have an old P3 Gateway PC, and I love the look of it. I'd like to know if
it's possible to upgrade the internals to a P4 system by replacing the
motherboard, power supply etc.,. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?
The case is a 'Performance 800' and is one of those where the hard drives
just clip in rather than screw in. The case itself is a work of art, too
good to just throw away.
Any help here?

Cheers.
Al.

Ben Myers

Agree. That is a very nice case. Very possible. Gateway used the same chassis
for some of its earlier P4 systems.

You'll need a P4 motherboard, either Socket 478 or LGA 775, a different CPU,
heat sink/cooling fan, memory, and power supply (with a higher wattage rating
and an ATX12v 4-pin connector). If you go with LGA 775, you'll usually need a
PCI-Express graphics card unless the motherboard has integrated video. A Socket
478 board uses an AGP card instead. I forget the exact dimensions of the power
supply for sure, but I seem to recall that the power supply is a standard ATX
form factor... Ben Myers

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 20:08:43 +0100, "Al" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an old P3 Gateway PC, and I love the look of it. I'd like to know if
>it's possible to upgrade the internals to a P4 system by replacing the
>motherboard, power supply etc.,. Does anyone know if this is a possibility?
>The case is a 'Performance 800' and is one of those where the hard drives
>just clip in rather than screw in. The case itself is a work of art, too
>good to just throw away.
>Any help here?
>
>Cheers.
>Al.

JR the Postman

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:08:43 +0100, Al wrote:

> I have an old P3 Gateway PC, and I love the look of it. I'd like to know
> if it's possible to upgrade the internals to a P4 system by replacing
> the motherboard, power supply etc.,. Does anyone know if this is a
> possibility? The case is a 'Performance 800' and is one of those where
> the hard drives just clip in rather than screw in. The case itself is a
> work of art, too good to just throw away.
> Any help here?
>
> Cheers.
> Al.

* * *
Al,

I have made a template to alter the back panel for a regular power supply
in the performance 500 cases, I have received a good number of these
cases in the past. Tis, funny the holes are there for the power supply
screws...

I feel there is a lots of room in these cases mid-tower cases for the
proper amount of air movement for the warmer dual core processors, but
the back plate is another problem for the modern motherboards... I would
love to have a Bridgeport Horizontal Mill to precisely alter these for a
modern backplate, but I use a Dremel Tool with a Flex Shaft for this
modification... I agree I like the style of performance case...

For my AMD Quad, I have restored a Aopen HX08 Housing, but I am going to
replace the floppy with a 4 port USB Card... Since my A770M-A
Motherboard does not have a connector for a floppy. I modified the
mounting slightly to afix a USB Floppy, but I never use it with my 64-bit
Mepis7 Linux...

JR the postman

Owl

Yup, it's possible. My Gateway P4 actually came in that case...everything
clips pretty much, of all the cases I've ever had, that one is my favorite,
excellent design, never throwing mine away either

news:nWmmk.138730$(E-Mail Removed)2...