P4-VGM and LiteON DVD burner compatibility problems...

s1mple_m4n

I have a SOYO P4-VGM motherboard running a 2.4G P4 processor, 512Mb RAM
and have just purchased a LiteON DVD burner to use on this machine.

Installation was not a problem, but once PC was back together and
running I noticed that the DVD did not run discs with autorun files on
them. In fact, although the CDs and DVDs were able to be read (just) by
the drive, no programmes could be run from them. All sorts of
application and I/O errors popped up, and no matter what I try, it just
keeps happening.

This motherboard runs older CD-ROMs I have tested on it absolutely
fine, so I was wondering if this was one of those occasions where the
motherboard and the DVD drive are just not compatible. And if so, why?

Any help welcome.

Thanks,

RoyJ

Rick Hallman

I have no problems with Lite-On dvd drives. Other than having a defective
drive, have you tried a different IDE cable? (Round cables look cool but
some cheap low quality cables will create problems.) If it's on a ribbon
cable, does it have 80 conductors? Are your BIOS settings correct for that
IDE channel? Is it the Master device on its IDE channel? If there is
another device on that IDE channel, what is it?

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...