P4C800-E Deluxe mobo and Raid Configurations

Gary Bagen

Hello,

I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.

What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
editing).

Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.

Thanks,
Gar

EDUARDO Mario

Hi,

I have this board with a IDE raid1 on the promise and SATA raid1 and
tested the raid 1 features yesterday :

If you remove the power connector from a IDE disk, XP does horrible things
in a manner which means to press the reset button.

If you remove the data connector from a SATA disk, Xp works so as if nothing
happened. No event log entry !! But it works!

Forget all IDE RAID1 on a motherboard and a single channel.

I hope it helps you.

cheers, Mario

"Gary Bagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.
>
> What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
> bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
> Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
> editing).
>
> Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.
>
> Thanks,
> Gar

Gary Bagen

Thanks, the price difference between the IDE and SATA drives is very
minimal, so I think I'll just buy 4 SATA drives and setup the bootable
array as mirrored and the second array as striped.

Thanks for the heads up!

"EDUARDO Mario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3fe1dde7$(E-Mail Removed)-wien.ac.at>...
> Hi,
>
> I have this board with a IDE raid1 on the promise and SATA raid1 and
> tested the raid 1 features yesterday :
>
> If you remove the power connector from a IDE disk, XP does horrible things
> in a manner which means to press the reset button.
>
> If you remove the data connector from a SATA disk, Xp works so as if nothing
> happened. No event log entry !! But it works!
>
> Forget all IDE RAID1 on a motherboard and a single channel.
>
> I hope it helps you.
>
> cheers, Mario
>
> "Gary Bagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.
> >
> > What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
> > bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
> > Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
> > editing).
> >
> > Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gar

Karl Burrows

You can only have one RAID on the SATA controller and one on the Promise
IDE. You can combine them to run a 1+0 or 10 RAID.

"Gary Bagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
Thanks, the price difference between the IDE and SATA drives is very
minimal, so I think I'll just buy 4 SATA drives and setup the bootable
array as mirrored and the second array as striped.

Thanks for the heads up!

"EDUARDO Mario" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:<3fe1dde7$(E-Mail Removed)-wien.ac.at>...
> Hi,
>
> I have this board with a IDE raid1 on the promise and SATA raid1 and
> tested the raid 1 features yesterday :
>
> If you remove the power connector from a IDE disk, XP does horrible things
> in a manner which means to press the reset button.
>
> If you remove the data connector from a SATA disk, Xp works so as if

nothing
> happened. No event log entry !! But it works!
>
> Forget all IDE RAID1 on a motherboard and a single channel.
>
> I hope it helps you.
>
> cheers, Mario
>
> "Gary Bagen" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was thinking of purchasing this mobo.
> >
> > What I would like to do is setup an IDE Mirror RAID that will be
> > bootable with XP. Then I would like a second array that will be a SATA
> > Stripped array that will be non-bootable (my working drive for video
> > editing).
> >
> > Seems straight forward, but I thought I'd better check first.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gar

P4S800 (and dimilar) DDR configurations / slots? - Bob - Asus 1 06-26-2008 02:58 AM
NI8 RAID configurations einride Abit 0 06-03-2006 08:10 PM
Ultra 20 configurations and availability Steven R. Jones Sun Hardware 4 10-19-2005 10:26 PM
mismatched drive sizes in RAID configurations Fetch, Rover, Fetch Apple 0 12-24-2003 06:30 PM
P4C800-E Deluxe and S-ATA RAID... Intel RAID or Promise RAID ??? Fraizer Asus 3 10-29-2003 01:50 PM