P4C800-E: Migrating a RAID 0 from Promise PATA to Intel Sata ?

Joachim Klein

Hi!
I have a stripeset of 2 Hitachi Deskstar 180 GXPs on the P4C800-Es PATA
RAID-port (Promise 378). I also have a nice set of two Abit Serillel
PATA-to-SATA dongles.
Can I move this stripeset from PATA to SATA w/o having to reinstall the
whole f...ing system ?
Did anyone try this ?
Thanx in advance for your input !

Cya -

Joachim

DanO

You'll have to recreate everything. You cannot move the stripeset.

"Joachim Klein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq0dbu$5d0$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hi!
> I have a stripeset of 2 Hitachi Deskstar 180 GXPs on the P4C800-Es PATA
> RAID-port (Promise 378). I also have a nice set of two Abit Serillel
> PATA-to-SATA dongles.
> Can I move this stripeset from PATA to SATA w/o having to reinstall the
> whole f...ing system ?
> Did anyone try this ?
> Thanx in advance for your input !
>
> Cya -
>
> Joachim

LeeBos

>Subject: Re: P4C800-E: Migrating a RAID 0 from Promise PATA to Intel Sata ?
>From: "DanO" (E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 11/25/2003 11:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>You'll have to recreate everything. You cannot move the stripeset.
>
>"Joachim Klein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bq0dbu$5d0$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
>> Hi!
>> I have a stripeset of 2 Hitachi Deskstar 180 GXPs on the P4C800-Es PATA
>> RAID-port (Promise 378). I also have a nice set of two Abit Serillel
>> PATA-to-SATA dongles.
>> Can I move this stripeset from PATA to SATA w/o having to reinstall the
>> whole f...ing system ?
>> Did anyone try this ?
>> Thanx in advance for your input !
>>
>> Cya -
>>
>> Joachim

Make a Ghost, or equivalant, image and migrate that way.

Lasse Lundberg

"Joachim Klein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq0dbu$5d0$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> Hi!
> I have a stripeset of 2 Hitachi Deskstar 180 GXPs on the P4C800-Es PATA
> RAID-port (Promise 378). I also have a nice set of two Abit Serillel
> PATA-to-SATA dongles.
> Can I move this stripeset from PATA to SATA w/o having to reinstall the
> whole f...ing system ?
> Did anyone try this ?
> Thanx in advance for your input !

i dont think the other who have replied to your post have actually tried it
! i can tell you that i succesfully moved 2x120gb from the one pata cable to
th 2 sata ports on the promise controller, also using pata to sata
converters....no problem, didnt even have to go into the promise bios or
anything....i just moved them !

also i moved them from an promise sx4000 controller to the onboard, and the
onboard promise recognised everything...

both times i was moving raid 0 arrays.....both times i had zero trouble !
promise controllers stores all information about the array on the HD so when
you move them the new promise controller will look on the disk for
info....no prob

you cant move the stripe to the southbrige (intel)controller that wont
work....only promise to promise

Lasse
p4c800-e 2.8 @ 3.4 2x512 hyperx 3200
4x120gb raid 0 on onboard promise controller
4x250gb raid 5 on promise sx4000 controller with 256 mb cache
2x36 gb raid 0 raptors on onboard intel controller
yamaha fs1 burner
some ugly 48 speed cdrom drive
audigy2
hauppauge PVR350
antec 550 w truepower in aopen hx08 highly modifyed to acommodate harddisks
without overheating
asetec waterchill cooling CPU, GPU, NB, and soon raid arrys...
only 2x120mm fans which are not silent but very low noise

DanO

I concur that you can move a Promise Stripeset from Promise controller to
Promise Controller. I understood the OP to mean move from Promise PATA to
Intel SATA. My bad... Although, it would seem to be a waste to not use the
Intel SATA Raid as it takes the load off of the PCI bus.

"Lasse Lundberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bq2a0s$950$(E-Mail Removed)-c.dk...
> "Joachim Klein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bq0dbu$5d0$06$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> > Hi!
> > I have a stripeset of 2 Hitachi Deskstar 180 GXPs on the P4C800-Es PATA
> > RAID-port (Promise 378). I also have a nice set of two Abit Serillel
> > PATA-to-SATA dongles.
> > Can I move this stripeset from PATA to SATA w/o having to reinstall the
> > whole f...ing system ?
> > Did anyone try this ?
> > Thanx in advance for your input !

> i dont think the other who have replied to your post have actually tried

it
> ! i can tell you that i succesfully moved 2x120gb from the one pata cable

> th 2 sata ports on the promise controller, also using pata to sata
> converters....no problem, didnt even have to go into the promise bios or
> anything....i just moved them !
>
> also i moved them from an promise sx4000 controller to the onboard, and

the
> onboard promise recognised everything...
>
> both times i was moving raid 0 arrays.....both times i had zero trouble !
> promise controllers stores all information about the array on the HD so

when
> you move them the new promise controller will look on the disk for
> info....no prob
>
> you cant move the stripe to the southbrige (intel)controller that wont
> work....only promise to promise
>
> Lasse
> p4c800-e 2.8 @ 3.4 2x512 hyperx 3200
> 4x120gb raid 0 on onboard promise controller
> 4x250gb raid 5 on promise sx4000 controller with 256 mb cache
> 2x36 gb raid 0 raptors on onboard intel controller
> yamaha fs1 burner
> some ugly 48 speed cdrom drive
> audigy2
> hauppauge PVR350
> antec 550 w truepower in aopen hx08 highly modifyed to acommodate

harddisks
> without overheating
> asetec waterchill cooling CPU, GPU, NB, and soon raid arrys...
> only 2x120mm fans which are not silent but very low noise

Joachim Klein

Precisely.
To move the array within the same controller indeed shouldnt be very
critical as the RAID-BIOS is the same. But you gain nothing except the
stylish thin cables in the end as the Promise SATA-ports are attached to the
PCI bus in the same way the PATA-ports are...

I think Ill backup my RAID 0 array and just try...

Thanx for your precious advice !

Cya -

Joachim
news:Qj2xb.19617$(E-Mail Removed). com...

!
> > promise controllers stores all information about the array on the HD so

> when
> > you move them the new promise controller will look on the disk for
> > info....no prob
> >
> > you cant move the stripe to the southbrige (intel)controller that wont
> > work....only promise to promise
> >
> > Lasse
> > p4c800-e 2.8 @ 3.4 2x512 hyperx 3200
> > 4x120gb raid 0 on onboard promise controller
> > 4x250gb raid 5 on promise sx4000 controller with 256 mb cache
> > 2x36 gb raid 0 raptors on onboard intel controller
> > yamaha fs1 burner
> > some ugly 48 speed cdrom drive
> > audigy2
> > hauppauge PVR350
> > antec 550 w truepower in aopen hx08 highly modifyed to acommodate

> harddisks
> > without overheating
> > asetec waterchill cooling CPU, GPU, NB, and soon raid arrys...
> > only 2x120mm fans which are not silent but very low noise

Rob Stow

Joachim Klein wrote:
> Precisely.
> To move the array within the same controller indeed shouldnt be very
> critical as the RAID-BIOS is the same. But you gain nothing except the
> stylish thin cables

Ribbon cables are bad enough when you only have a 4 drive
RAID and a couple of optical drives - but the OP has
10 hard drives and 2 optical drives. I would think that
getting down to just one ribbon cable for the optical
drives and using SATA cables would be critical. Even if
some of his hard drives are PATA, he should consider using
SATA cables and some SATA-to-PATA adapters.

In addition to merely making the interior of the case more
managable, the improved airflow can reduce temperatures in
the case enough that it will make a difference in the lifetimes
of the drives - not to mention the other components in the case.
I once saw a 6'C drop in the case temperature and an 4'C drop
in hard drive temperatures just by moving from 3 ribbon cables
to 1 ribbon and 4 SATA: the SATA-to-PATA bridges that I
had to use were well worth there small cost.
It also resulted in a noticably quieter system.

--
Reply to newsgroup only please. This e-mail account is real
but effectively abandoned because of excessive spamming.