P4I865PE Plus hyper-threading problem

clapperhead

I have the P4I865PE Plus, XP sp2 professional, nvidia 128mb, PATA and
recently have tried two P4s with hyper-threading, a 2.6ghz 512/800 and
a 2.8ghz 1M/800. Both cause pretty much random BSOD with various
errors. Most common is the win32k.exe *08E. Garanteed to fail with
game "Generals: Command & Conquer", fails often enough with just
firefox and sometimes various progams will just quit with no event log
post. Can run stable for 2 days then... bam.

I have successfully used several other agp cards, ddr, hdd and
processors with varying caches/fsb with absolutely no problems, but
none with an 800fsb. Have run diagnositics on ddr and harddrive, used
them and agp card with other mobos... fine. Tried different ddr with
lower ratings, reinstalled XP, updated ALL drivers, turned bios
hyperthreading on/off, yada yada... still same problem with a
hyper-threading cpu.

Done searches on BSOD errors messages, most seem to think it's a driver
incompatibility. Yet drivers work fine with other processors and
components. Don't know how to debug and seems like it would take
forever to track error code A to minidump B and verify with C then
reinstall D... and see if that works.... ahhhhh. If anybody can help
it would be appreciated.

Hotshot

I've a DELL Dimension 4600 that suddenly died (blown MB an
processor). These were replaced and I have had BSODs every da
ranging from one or two, to 5 or more and no real pattern as to why
I removed every bit of hardware and checked all drivers an
reinstalled windows - no change

Three days ago, I decided to disable Hyperthreading and since tha
time the computer hasn't rebooted once

I haven't looked any further into this, but it could be a startin
point for your machine. :