P4IS2 won't start/INS key

S Austin

Similar problem to other posts I've seen here so not sure if anyone
will have any new advice.

PC was working fine (XP home) except for occasional network issues,
brought it down to my workshop & now won't boot. All we did was
unplug peripherals, move it and plug it into a different monitor,
keyboard and mouse (all of which work fine on other PCs). SY-P4IS2
MOBO with 2GHz Intel processor, had it for about a year.

Fans come on, no video, no beeps. Have tried clearing BIOS with J5
many times. If I remove the 256MB PC133 memory and put in some
working PC100 memory I have, I get the long "no memory found" beeps.
I tried the 256MB in another motherboard (Intel BI440ZX) and it only
showed as 128MB, perhaps that's an artifact of the older architecture
but I believe it should be compatible.

The MOBO manual says something about holding INS key down while
booting - anyone tried this? I did with no difference.

That's all the spares I have on hand to try...don't know whether to
buy another PC133 RAM stick, CPU or MOBO to try next...I'd like to
salvage whatever's still working and not toast any more parts.

Thanks
S. Austin

S Austin

Turns out I have access to another Socket 478 machine, and was able to
verify the CPU is still good. Also verified AGP card works in another
machine, and the 256MB PC 133 RAM is good.

Guess that leaves only the MOBO as the problem?

dave

If I remember right, you need to turn off the power , then while
holding the insert key down, turn on the power.
Dave