P4P800-E Deluxe or P4C800-E Deluxe & memory ?

Pluvious

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 21:31:35 GMT, "NT Canuck" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

||"Pluvious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
||> Thanks for the help. I had gotten a pretty stable 2.9 with setting the
||> PCI/AGP ration to fixed 33/66, and fixed memory timings... got the FSB
||> up to about 220. I have 1 gig of Corsair XMS DDR PC-3200
||> (TWINX1024R-3200C2PT) Cas Latency: 2-3-3-6 is stock.
||ok, the corsair xms is nice ram...likely do 2.5 3 3 7 at 220 (10% o/c).

Yeah.. I bought good ram thinking I would O/C.. but its kinda baffling
me. I used the mobo's auto overclock feature at 5% and up to 15% with
no problems..but that was such a little boost it didn't seem worth it.
I would like to get at least 3.0 out of my 2.6c. I know there is some
setting that will achieve that.. just don't know exactly what it is.
Not something you just poke around with.. I have to actually LEARN
what I'm doing before I mess around I think. Maybe I'll plug in
those timings you listed there and see what happens.

||iirc that ram should goto about 250 but may need to set
||ram speed from 400 speed to 320 speed (4/5 of bus speed).
||remember it's ddr (double data rate so a 400 speed is 200mhz)
||Mostly I might try togo as high as you can without any voltage
||changes and the cpu/board heat/temp are fairly close to original.
||I suspect 12-17% overclock should be stable w/o much effort.

I'm using stock cooling and have an Antec case with 4 fans. It's very
cool in my case so I can probably get away with the stock heatsink.

||> I think I crashed in UT2k because of I didn't mess with the memory
||> timings. Nor did I mess with the voltages. I understand UT games are
||> cpu intensive and that might have been why FarCry had no problems at
||> 2.9, but the old Unreal Tournament 2003 choked.
||hmm, yes ut2k and ut2003 are ram/cpu intensive,
|| I don't know/have the Far Cry...how is it?

FarCry is amazing with the right rig. Little choppy on the last few
levels but overall its a must have. (only $40 list..definately check
it out)

http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/...FarCry0008.jpg
http://img43.photobucket.com/albums/...FarCry0012.jpg

Pluvious

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel P4 2.6C 800 FSB
1 Gig Corsair XMS TWINX1024R-3200C2PT
ATI 9700 PRO w/ Direct X 9.0b / Omega drivers o/c'd 378/330.75
XP Home
etc....

NT Canuck

"Pluvious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Yeah.. I bought good ram thinking I would O/C.. but its kinda
> baffling me. I used the mobo's auto overclock feature at 5% and
> up to 15% with no problems..but that was such a little boost it
> didn't seem worth it.

Try hunting for aida32 diagnostices (free) and doing the memory
speed tests before/after any changes to see what you did.
http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

I am using 2 infineon and 2 kingston ddr400 (2.5 3 3 7)
all 256mb in dual-channel on p4p800 (2.6c htt) ati 9500pro.
I did perk up to 3.0ghz for awhile but video card won't run
any quicker and I suspect the 9700pro while faster will still
be the bottleneck for anything over 3.0ghz cpu speeds.

So I just run at normal clocks and set the performance mode
to "normal" and have the MAM (PAT clone) set on...this
gives a stable boost and no problems. (cpu 22c board 31c).
Your 875 chipset should be a bit quicker than my 865pe.
aida 32 with bunch items loaded on desktop
mem read 4658
mem write 1575

> I would like to get at least 3.0 out of my 2.6c. I know there is some
> setting that will achieve that.. just don't know exactly what it is.
> Not something you just poke around with.. I have to actually LEARN
> what I'm doing before I mess around I think. Maybe I'll plug in
> those timings you listed there and see what happens.

Those timing should be (I think) ok for a 10% boost in speed
but likely just optimizing your system at stock speeds about same.

> FarCry is amazing with the right rig. Little choppy on the last few
> levels but overall its a must have. (only $40 list..definately check
> it out)

Is there CD formats as I think it comes on DVD.
(heh...I'm getting behind but do have dual CDRW's)

some ram/timing notes review..
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherbo...119/index.html

--
'Seek and ye shall find'
NT Canuck

Pluvious

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:29:14 GMT, "NT Canuck" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

||"Pluvious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
||> Yeah.. I bought good ram thinking I would O/C.. but its kinda
||> baffling me. I used the mobo's auto overclock feature at 5% and
||> up to 15% with no problems..but that was such a little boost it
||> didn't seem worth it.
||Try hunting for aida32 diagnostices (free) and doing the memory
||speed tests before/after any changes to see what you did.
||http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

Wow..that's a cool little program thanks for the link. This will
really help.

||I am using 2 infineon and 2 kingston ddr400 (2.5 3 3 7)
||all 256mb in dual-channel on p4p800 (2.6c htt) ati 9500pro.
||I did perk up to 3.0ghz for awhile but video card won't run
||any quicker and I suspect the 9700pro while faster will still
||be the bottleneck for anything over 3.0ghz cpu speeds.

Yeah.. I'm going to consider getting the new ATI card thats going to
show up in the coming months. The 9700 pro is a killer card..but its
starting to show it's age already.

||So I just run at normal clocks and set the performance mode
||to "normal" and have the MAM (PAT clone) set on...this
||gives a stable boost and no problems. (cpu 22c board 31c).
||Your 875 chipset should be a bit quicker than my 865pe.
||aida 32 with bunch items loaded on desktop
||mem read 4658
||mem write 1575

mem read 4782
mem write 1562