P4PE Broadcom LAN and RF Noise?

AT

Hi everyone, I have an Asus P4PE MB and am using the on-board Broadcom
NIC for my Internet connection. The thing is, when ever my NIC is
active, my sound gets all messed up. I hear constant blips and beeps
and generally garbled sound. My soundcard is a SB Live! Gold with all
drivers up to date.

The sound gets wonky ONLY while the NIC is active, otherwise
everything is fine. My SB is also seated in the second last slot, far
away from the integrated Broadcom. This only started happening
recently, haven't done any hardware upgrades.

Is the Broadcom generating noise to cause this to happen or something?
Has anyone else heard of this happening with the Broadcoms in the Asus
boards? The only thing I can think of doing is to stop using the
Broadcom and installing a PCI NIC, but I'd rather find another course
of action.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

System specs are:
XP Pro, SP1
Intel P2.8
1 GB RAM
ATI AIW 8500
Adaptec DuoConnect USB/1394 card
alll drivers/software current

Erwan LE BIHAN

Yes of course.
Don't throw away your integrated gigabit Lan Card.
One more time, it's Creative Fault.
SB Live are known for not using correctly the PCI Bus. In fact, only bad or
light implementation of the PCI Bus can handle well the SB Live series.

Possible Fix:
1) Get another SoundCard. Simple.
2) Try to find out a PCI Slot that is not sharing any material IRQ (A/B/C/D)
with anything else. Do not rely on what XP is saying, look in your mainboard
manual instead... It may works. If you have somewhere in your bios a "PCI
LATENCY" Value, set it to 64 instead of 32. Or Use of special driver to put
248 to the slot holding the Live.

"AT<>AT" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I have an Asus P4PE MB and am using the on-board Broadcom
> NIC for my Internet connection. The thing is, when ever my NIC is
> active, my sound gets all messed up. I hear constant blips and beeps
> and generally garbled sound. My soundcard is a SB Live! Gold with all
> drivers up to date.
>
> The sound gets wonky ONLY while the NIC is active, otherwise
> everything is fine. My SB is also seated in the second last slot, far
> away from the integrated Broadcom. This only started happening
> recently, haven't done any hardware upgrades.
>
> Is the Broadcom generating noise to cause this to happen or something?
> Has anyone else heard of this happening with the Broadcoms in the Asus
> boards? The only thing I can think of doing is to stop using the
> Broadcom and installing a PCI NIC, but I'd rather find another course
> of action.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> System specs are:
> XP Pro, SP1
> Intel P2.8
> 1 GB RAM
> ATI AIW 8500
> Adaptec DuoConnect USB/1394 card
> alll drivers/software current

Phil

Check to see if you both the NIC and sound card are sharing an IRQ. If they
are, uninstall the sound card and reboot. I had a similar problem and
reinstalling the sound card solved it.

"AT<>AT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone, I have an Asus P4PE MB and am using the on-board Broadcom
> NIC for my Internet connection. The thing is, when ever my NIC is
> active, my sound gets all messed up. I hear constant blips and beeps
> and generally garbled sound. My soundcard is a SB Live! Gold with all
> drivers up to date.
>
> The sound gets wonky ONLY while the NIC is active, otherwise
> everything is fine. My SB is also seated in the second last slot, far
> away from the integrated Broadcom. This only started happening
> recently, haven't done any hardware upgrades.
>
> Is the Broadcom generating noise to cause this to happen or something?
> Has anyone else heard of this happening with the Broadcoms in the Asus
> boards? The only thing I can think of doing is to stop using the
> Broadcom and installing a PCI NIC, but I'd rather find another course
> of action.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks.
>
> System specs are:
> XP Pro, SP1
> Intel P2.8
> 1 GB RAM
> ATI AIW 8500
> Adaptec DuoConnect USB/1394 card
> alll drivers/software current

AT

Thanks, I'll give those a try. XP does say they aren't sharing an IRQ
but I'll try swapping slots anyway before I try another sound card.

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:27:47 +0100, "Erwan LE BIHAN"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes of course.
>Don't throw away your integrated gigabit Lan Card.
>One more time, it's Creative Fault.
>SB Live are known for not using correctly the PCI Bus. In fact, only bad or
>light implementation of the PCI Bus can handle well the SB Live series.
>
>Possible Fix:
>1) Get another SoundCard. Simple.
>2) Try to find out a PCI Slot that is not sharing any material IRQ (A/B/C/D)
>with anything else. Do not rely on what XP is saying, look in your mainboard
>manual instead... It may works. If you have somewhere in your bios a "PCI
>LATENCY" Value, set it to 64 instead of 32. Or Use of special driver to put
>248 to the slot holding the Live.
>

>"AT<>AT" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi everyone, I have an Asus P4PE MB and am using the on-board Broadcom
>> NIC for my Internet connection. The thing is, when ever my NIC is
>> active, my sound gets all messed up. I hear constant blips and beeps
>> and generally garbled sound. My soundcard is a SB Live! Gold with all
>> drivers up to date.
>>
>> The sound gets wonky ONLY while the NIC is active, otherwise
>> everything is fine. My SB is also seated in the second last slot, far
>> away from the integrated Broadcom. This only started happening
>> recently, haven't done any hardware upgrades.
>>
>> Is the Broadcom generating noise to cause this to happen or something?
>> Has anyone else heard of this happening with the Broadcoms in the Asus
>> boards? The only thing I can think of doing is to stop using the
>> Broadcom and installing a PCI NIC, but I'd rather find another course
>> of action.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> System specs are:
>> XP Pro, SP1
>> Intel P2.8
>> 1 GB RAM
>> ATI AIW 8500
>> Adaptec DuoConnect USB/1394 card
>> alll drivers/software current

Robert Hancock

Don't these boards have SoundMAX audio onboard? I'd trash the Live and go
with the onboard in that case..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from (E-Mail Removed)

"AT<>AT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, I'll give those a try. XP does say they aren't sharing an IRQ
> but I'll try swapping slots anyway before I try another sound card.
>
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 21:27:47 +0100, "Erwan LE BIHAN"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Yes of course.
> >Don't throw away your integrated gigabit Lan Card.
> >One more time, it's Creative Fault.
> >SB Live are known for not using correctly the PCI Bus. In fact, only bad

or
> >light implementation of the PCI Bus can handle well the SB Live series.
> >
> >Possible Fix:
> >1) Get another SoundCard. Simple.
> >2) Try to find out a PCI Slot that is not sharing any material IRQ

(A/B/C/D)
> >with anything else. Do not rely on what XP is saying, look in your

mainboard
> >manual instead... It may works. If you have somewhere in your bios a "PCI
> >LATENCY" Value, set it to 64 instead of 32. Or Use of special driver to

put
> >248 to the slot holding the Live.
> >

> >"AT<>AT" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Hi everyone, I have an Asus P4PE MB and am using the on-board Broadcom
> >> NIC for my Internet connection. The thing is, when ever my NIC is
> >> active, my sound gets all messed up. I hear constant blips and beeps
> >> and generally garbled sound. My soundcard is a SB Live! Gold with all
> >> drivers up to date.
> >>
> >> The sound gets wonky ONLY while the NIC is active, otherwise
> >> everything is fine. My SB is also seated in the second last slot, far
> >> away from the integrated Broadcom. This only started happening
> >> recently, haven't done any hardware upgrades.
> >>
> >> Is the Broadcom generating noise to cause this to happen or something?
> >> Has anyone else heard of this happening with the Broadcoms in the Asus
> >> boards? The only thing I can think of doing is to stop using the
> >> Broadcom and installing a PCI NIC, but I'd rather find another course
> >> of action.
> >>
> >> Can anyone help?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> System specs are:
> >> XP Pro, SP1
> >> Intel P2.8
> >> 1 GB RAM
> >> ATI AIW 8500
> >> Adaptec DuoConnect USB/1394 card
> >> alll drivers/software current

AT

That's exactly what I did and it all works fine now. I even tried
adding a 3Com PCI card and got the same problem. Thanks for the help
everyone!