David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Gainsley" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| We find that our P5B's (Bios 709) do not support EMS memory, which is not a
| problem with our P5DW2's (Bios 1803). Anybody have any idea why the P5B
| won't do it? (We're using the same program on both types.)
|
| Jim

EMS ? You mean the Expanded Memory Specification ?

If yes, are you running MS/PC/DR-DOS ?

--
Dave

Jim Gainsley

Sorry, we are running Win XP Pro SP2 on all machines.

> From: "Jim Gainsley" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> | We find that our P5B's (Bios 709) do not support EMS memory, which is
> not a
> | problem with our P5DW2's (Bios 1803). Anybody have any idea why the P5B
> | won't do it? (We're using the same program on both types.)
> |
> | Jim
> |

> EMS ? You mean the Expanded Memory Specification ?
>
> If yes, are you running MS/PC/DR-DOS ?
>
> --
> Dave
> Multi-AV - http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

David H. Lipman

From: "Jim Gainsley" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Sorry, we are running Win XP Pro SP2 on all machines.

OK, but do You mean the Expanded Memory Specification (EMS) ?

--
Dave

Jim Gainsley

Yes, the Expanded Memory Specification

From: "Jim Gainsley" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Yes, the Expanded Memory Specification

Windows XP does NOT support EMS. EMS was a DOS specification for providing RAM above the
640K DOS barier and subsequently superceded by the Extended Memory Specification (XMS) RAM.
You can load DOS drivers to emulate EMS RAM in XMS RAM.

In any case, EMS RAM is based upon a EMS Memory Card which is an ISA card.

--
Dave

Jim Gainsley

Interesting, but we have no problem with EMS with WinXP Pro on the Asus
P5DW2-P motherboards. The same program. How do you account for that? No
additional drivers are loaded of which I'm aware.

Jim

From: "Jim Gainsley" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Interesting, but we have no problem with EMS with WinXP Pro on the Asus
| P5DW2-P motherboards. The same program. How do you account for that? No
| additional drivers are loaded of which I'm aware.
|
| Jim

What's more important is why do you NEED EMS RAM under XP ?

--
Dave

Jim Gainsley

We must run an old spreadsheet SuperCalc, which requires EMS and cannot use
XMS. It runs perfectly on the P5DW2's but not on the P5B's where it only
show about 100k of lowmem available.

Any ideas as to how to get it to run on the P5B (without resorting to VPC)
or more importantly why it doesn't run. At first I thought it might be
chipset thing, but an Intel fellow said he wasn't aware of any inhibitions.

Jim

From: "Jim Gainsley" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| We must run an old spreadsheet SuperCalc, which requires EMS and cannot use
| XMS. It runs perfectly on the P5DW2's but not on the P5B's where it only
| show about 100k of lowmem available.
|
| Any ideas as to how to get it to run on the P5B (without resorting to VPC)
| or more importantly why it doesn't run. At first I thought it might be
| chipset thing, but an Intel fellow said he wasn't aware of any inhibitions.
|
| Jim

I understand.

I STILL use Quicken 8 for DOS.

I use it under Windows 2000 and under Windows XP on my SOHO LAN.

Under Win2K SP4, the OS emulates EMS and thus I can provide EMS RAM to Quicken.
I provide 2MB (2048KB) and when I hit "M" (for memory) Quicken shows; EMS v4.0, 2048KB
total and 656KB available.

Under WinXP SP2, I have the same memory configuration in the PIF but when I hit "M" (for
memory) Quicken shows "EMS Memory not present or disabled".

--
Dave