P5Q Deluxe ESATA Question

me@here.com

I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I turn it
on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it should work?
Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need access to it? Thank
you.

--
-

Clas Mehus

On 07 May 2011 03:11:33 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
>before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I turn it
>on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it should work?
>Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need access to it? Thank
>you.

Is AHCI for the Marvell-controller enabled in the BIOS?

--
Clas Mehus
- "Den som har flest prylar när han dör vinner..."

Rob

On 07/05/2011 04:11, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
> before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I turn it
> on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it should work?
> Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need access to it? Thank
> you.

Take a look at the 'Hotplug' tab of your Marvel 61xx properties
in Device Manager. Make sure 'Enable' is checked for all ports.
If you don't see the Hotplug tab, try updating to the latest
drivers from Marvel.
FYI, I have a P5Q Deluxe and hot-plugging e-sata drives into
the rear panel port works fine in XP. Drives appear in the
Safely Remove Hardware list from the status bar icon, just
like external USB drives do.
HTH,
--
Rob

me@here.com

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 07/05/2011 04:11, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
> > before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I
> > turn it on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it
> > should work? Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need
> > access to it? Thank you.
> >

> Take a look at the 'Hotplug' tab of your Marvel 61xx properties
> in Device Manager. Make sure 'Enable' is checked for all ports.
> If you don't see the Hotplug tab, try updating to the latest
> drivers from Marvel.
> FYI, I have a P5Q Deluxe and hot-plugging e-sata drives into
> the rear panel port works fine in XP. Drives appear in the
> Safely Remove Hardware list from the status bar icon, just
> like external USB drives do.
> HTH,

I have enabled the Marvel controller but never thought to check the
properties. I will do that and I thank you for the help! Much appreciated!

--
-

me@here.com

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 07/05/2011 04:11, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
> > before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I
> > turn it on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it
> > should work? Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need
> > access to it? Thank you.
> >

> Take a look at the 'Hotplug' tab of your Marvel 61xx properties
> in Device Manager. Make sure 'Enable' is checked for all ports.
> If you don't see the Hotplug tab, try updating to the latest
> drivers from Marvel.
> FYI, I have a P5Q Deluxe and hot-plugging e-sata drives into
> the rear panel port works fine in XP. Drives appear in the
> Safely Remove Hardware list from the status bar icon, just
> like external USB drives do.
> HTH,

If I understand correctly I need to enable marvel in bios then in device
manager Enable "Hotplug"? BTW, I do have all drivers installed correctly.

--
-

me@here.com

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 07/05/2011 04:11, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
> > before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I
> > turn it on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it
> > should work? Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need
> > access to it? Thank you.
> >

> Take a look at the 'Hotplug' tab of your Marvel 61xx properties
> in Device Manager. Make sure 'Enable' is checked for all ports.
> If you don't see the Hotplug tab, try updating to the latest
> drivers from Marvel.
> FYI, I have a P5Q Deluxe and hot-plugging e-sata drives into
> the rear panel port works fine in XP. Drives appear in the
> Safely Remove Hardware list from the status bar icon, just
> like external USB drives do.
> HTH,

I enabled the Marvel IDE in Bios and when machine boots the Marvel Boot Rom
displays the drive as long as it is on and the drive works but no status
bar icon appears like it does with a usb drive. I can't find Marvel in the
device manager. Where would it be? Thanks.

--
-

Rob

On 10/05/2011 22:51, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Rob<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On 07/05/2011 04:11, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> I enabled the Marvel in the bios and I turn the external ESATA drive on
>>> before booting and it works fine. If the drive is off at boot and I
>>> turn it on after booting the drive won't show up. Is this the way it
>>> should work? Is there no way to leave the drive off until you need
>>> access to it? Thank you.
>>>

>> Take a look at the 'Hotplug' tab of your Marvel 61xx properties
>> in Device Manager. Make sure 'Enable' is checked for all ports.
>> If you don't see the Hotplug tab, try updating to the latest
>> drivers from Marvel.
>> FYI, I have a P5Q Deluxe and hot-plugging e-sata drives into
>> the rear panel port works fine in XP. Drives appear in the
>> Safely Remove Hardware list from the status bar icon, just
>> like external USB drives do.
>> HTH,

> I enabled the Marvel IDE in Bios and when machine boots the Marvel Boot Rom
> displays the drive as long as it is on and the drive works but no status
> bar icon appears like it does with a usb drive. I can't find Marvel in the
> device manager. Where would it be? Thanks.

It will be under "SCSI and RAID Controllers" listed as
"Marvell 61xx RAID Controller". Just right-click and
select Properties and you should see the Hotplug tab.
If still no-go, you probably need to install new drivers.
The ones you want are under the SATA section for the P5Q deluxe
at support.asus.com - you want "Marvell 6121 SATA Driver
v1.2.0.68 for Windows XP.."
This link may work, if not start from home page and manually
select Motherboard, Socket 775, P5Q deluxe and WinXP.
http://support.asus.com/download.asp...OE5RDJVEmQI86w

HTH,
--
Rob

me@here.com

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 10/05/2011 22:51, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Rob<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >>>

> >> Take a look at the 'Hotplug' tab of your Marvel 61xx properties
> >> in Device Manager. Make sure 'Enable' is checked for all ports.
> >> If you don't see the Hotplug tab, try updating to the latest
> >> drivers from Marvel.
> >> FYI, I have a P5Q Deluxe and hot-plugging e-sata drives into
> >> the rear panel port works fine in XP. Drives appear in the
> >> Safely Remove Hardware list from the status bar icon, just
> >> like external USB drives do.
> >> HTH,

> > I enabled the Marvel IDE in Bios and when machine boots the Marvel Boot
> > Rom displays the drive as long as it is on and the drive works but no
> > status bar icon appears like it does with a usb drive. I can't find
> > Marvel in the device manager. Where would it be? Thanks.
> >

> It will be under "SCSI and RAID Controllers" listed as
> "Marvell 61xx RAID Controller". Just right-click and
> select Properties and you should see the Hotplug tab.
> If still no-go, you probably need to install new drivers.
> The ones you want are under the SATA section for the P5Q deluxe
> at support.asus.com - you want "Marvell 6121 SATA Driver
> v1.2.0.68 for Windows XP.."
> This link may work, if not start from home page and manually
> select Motherboard, Socket 775, P5Q deluxe and WinXP.
> http://support.asus.com/download.asp...Deluxe&p=1&s=2
> 2&os=17&hashedid=esOE5RDJVEmQI86w
>
> HTH,

BTW, I am using XP 64 Bit and reinstalled the driver, enabled marvel ide in
bios but not raid controller/Marvel appears in device manager. When I
installed XP I believe the bios is set sata in ide mode or something like
that. I tried changing a setting to AHCI but got a blue screen and changed
it back and it boots fine, so I assume I didn't hurt anything. Is there
some other Raid driver/bios setting etc that I need to do also? I know
quite a bit about the system I built but I have never used Raid and don't
know about the settings etc. I really appreciate you trying to help me
here. Thanks.

--
-

Rob

On 11/05/2011 22:36, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Rob<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> I enabled the Marvel IDE in Bios and when machine boots the Marvel Boot
>>> Rom displays the drive as long as it is on and the drive works but no
>>> status bar icon appears like it does with a usb drive. I can't find
>>> Marvel in the device manager. Where would it be? Thanks.
>>>

>> It will be under "SCSI and RAID Controllers" listed as
>> "Marvell 61xx RAID Controller". Just right-click and
>> select Properties and you should see the Hotplug tab.
>> If still no-go, you probably need to install new drivers.
>> The ones you want are under the SATA section for the P5Q deluxe
>> at support.asus.com - you want "Marvell 6121 SATA Driver
>> v1.2.0.68 for Windows XP.."
>> This link may work, if not start from home page and manually
>> select Motherboard, Socket 775, P5Q deluxe and WinXP.
>> http://support.asus.com/download.asp...Deluxe&p=1&s=2
>> 2&os=17&hashedid=esOE5RDJVEmQI86w
>>
>> HTH,

> BTW, I am using XP 64 Bit and reinstalled the driver, enabled marvel ide in
> bios but not raid controller/Marvel appears in device manager. When I
> installed XP I believe the bios is set sata in ide mode or something like
> that. I tried changing a setting to AHCI but got a blue screen and changed
> it back and it boots fine, so I assume I didn't hurt anything. Is there
> some other Raid driver/bios setting etc that I need to do also? I know
> quite a bit about the system I built but I have never used Raid and don't
> know about the settings etc. I really appreciate you trying to help me
> here. Thanks.

This motherboard has 3 hard drive controllers. You would normally
have your boot drive and any other internal SATA drives connected
to the the Intel ICH10R SATA ports (See p2-29 of the manual.)
Most folk don't use the SIL5723 (EZ) ports (p2-30) and I recommend
you avoid using those sockets completely.
The 3rd controller is the Marvell 88SE6121 which controls the
40-way PATA (IDE) ports and the e-SATA port on the back, which is
the one we are trying to use.
The Intel controller can be left in whatever mode you used when
you installed XP64 - you don't need to change to AHCI or RAID on
that one (that option is in the Main BIOS page under Storage
Configuration and only applies to the Intel ICH10R Controller.
Chenges here will have no effect on the Marvell controller.)

All you need to do is enable Marvell IDE in the BIOS and install
the driver for the Marvell controller. There is no option to select
AHCI or RAID on this controller in the BIOS. When the Marvell is
enabled in the BIOS, it will always appear under "SCSI and RAID
Controllers" in Device Manager, regardless of any other BIOS
settings, as far as I can tell.

Basically, if you have installed the drivers I linked to, it should
'just work' when you enable 'Hotplug' in the Marvell driver
properties.

If you plug an external e-Sata drive in, after the system has started,
can you see it in Windows explorer? If you can but it doesn't appear
in 'Safely Remove Hardware' in the Status bar, it may be that XP64
doesn't support that - I have no way of knowing as my system is
running XP32.
If you can only see it if it was plugged-in before you booted, then
either the Marvell drivers aren't installed properly, you haven't
enabled 'Hotplug' in the Marvell drivers Properties page in Device
Manager, or XP64 just doesn't support this feature.
HTH,
--
Rob

me@here.com

Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [...]

> Controllers" in Device Manager, regardless of any other BIOS
> settings, as far as I can tell.
>
> Basically, if you have installed the drivers I linked to, it should
> 'just work' when you enable 'Hotplug' in the Marvell driver
> properties.
>
> If you plug an external e-Sata drive in, after the system has started,
> can you see it in Windows explorer? If you can but it doesn't appear
> in 'Safely Remove Hardware' in the Status bar, it may be that XP64
> doesn't support that - I have no way of knowing as my system is
> running XP32.
> If you can only see it if it was plugged-in before you booted, then
> either the Marvell drivers aren't installed properly, you haven't
> enabled 'Hotplug' in the Marvell drivers Properties page in Device
> Manager, or XP64 just doesn't support this feature.

In the bios the storage configuration is set to "enhanced"
and "configure SATA is set to "IDE".

When I enable the Marvel I do get the Marvel Boot ROM on screen and it
detects the drive as long as it is powered up when I boot but still no
Marvel appears in device manager. If the drive is not on the Marvel ROM
detects no devices. When booting with drive powered it shows in windows
explorer but when I shut it down it still shows it but maybe that is
normal.

I have installed the correct driver a few times now and since the drive
works if powered up first I would assume there is a glitch in the XP X64
driver. I checked the Marvel site and cannot find any updated info for X64.

BTW, SATA 1 shows my Seagate 1.5t drive, SATA 2 shows one Asus DVD burner,
and SATA 3 shows my other Asus burner. I built this system a few years ago
and it's had zero problems except for the ESATA issue. It is really no big
deal because I have my two externals connected via USB and they work great
but I would like to connect another drive to the ESATA port if possible. Is
there anything else in my bios settings that may not be correct? I am going
to keep trying to get that darn Marvel controller to show in device
manager. Should I have the Marvel Boot Rom enabled or not or does that
matter? Thx.

--
-