P5Q SE2: How To Relate IDE Controller To Physical Drive?

(PeteCresswell)

I just posted the gist of this to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, then realized that this was
probably the appropriate forum.

I am troubleshooting an excessive CPU usage problem on an ASUS
P5Q-SE2 mobo - almost totally unencumbered by any real knowledge.

Using Process Explorer I have discovered that Interrupts are
going out of sight - as in 50% CPU.

Googling around, I see that a common source of this is Windows
automatically downgrading a drive from DMA access to PIO because
of too many errors from the drive.

I've got six SATA ('data') drives and one IDE ('system') drive.

I pulled the DVD drive and the Brand-X SATA card it was attached
to and I pulled the video card so that I *think* all that's left
are the SATA drives and IDE drive.

When I go into Device Manager, I see:

Primary IDE Channel #1 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

Primary IDE Channel #2 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1 = Ultra DMA Mode 5

Primary IDE Channel #3 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 6
Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

Secondary IDE Channel #1 in list: Device 0 = Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

Secondary IDE Channel #2 in list: Device 0 = PIO Mode <========
Device 1 = Ultra DMA Mode 5

Secondary IDE Channel #3 in list: Device 0 = "Not Applicable"
Device 1 = "Not Applicable"

Looking at the mobo (Asus P5Q SE2), it looks to me like there is
only one IDE connector - laying on it's side at the edge of the
board.

Since I have only a single IDE drive, does the above info
implicate it with no doubt?

Or could some aspect of the SATA setup be masquerading as a
"Secondary IDE Channel"?

Other suggestions?
--
PeteCresswell