P5ste- No mouse Function

stu

Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.

Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium
setup

Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it

Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via
the Cd-ROM.

Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install
REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a "cleanDrive"

Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style
Mouse Hook-up or just Go through The Award Bios setup to see if
thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ???? Thanks ,
(E-Mail Removed)

Ghostrider

stu wrote:

> Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.
>
> Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium setup
>
> Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it
>
> Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via the Cd-ROM.
>
> Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a
> "cleanDrive"
>
> Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style Mouse Hook-up or just
> Go through The Award Bios setup to see if thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ????
> Thanks , (E-Mail Removed)

Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
"standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
guide in its Knowledge Base.)

Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.

Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
(or Bus) mouse.

stu

Ghostrider wrote:

> stu wrote:
>
> > Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.
> >
> > Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium setup
> >
> > Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it
> >
> > Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via the Cd-ROM.
> >
> > Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a
> > "cleanDrive"
> >
> > Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style Mouse Hook-up or just
> > Go through The Award Bios setup to see if thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ????
> > Thanks , (E-Mail Removed)

> Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
> PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
> "standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
> the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
> guide in its Knowledge Base.)
>
> Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.
>
> Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
> (or Bus) mouse.

Thanks ,But what does a BUS mouse hook up to ( not a serial connnection I presume) Is this a
peripheral that is still available???

thanks ,sstu

Ghostrider

stu wrote:

> Ghostrider wrote:
>
> > stu wrote:
> >
> > > Hello ,anewbie here to this group,but not aNewbie to SUPERMICRO.
> > >
> > > Ihave an old p5STE that came out of a WIN95 server / with 133 Pentium setup
> > >
> > > Boots fine but Icannot seem to get aMOUSE working on it
> > >
> > > Even tried an old Logictech SERIAL mouse, tried inserting Drivers via the Cd-ROM.
> > >
> > > Now Itook the Old harddrives out and replaced them & tried to install REDHAT LINux 7.3 on a
> > > "cleanDrive"
> > >
> > > Still No mouse recognition . What should Ido ?? Install a P/s2 style Mouse Hook-up or just
> > > Go through The Award Bios setup to see if thereis a "trick" to enable Mouse support ????
> > > Thanks , (E-Mail Removed)

> > Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
> > PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
> > "standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
> > the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
> > guide in its Knowledge Base.)
> >
> > Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.
> >
> > Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
> > (or Bus) mouse.

> Thanks ,But what does a BUS mouse hook up to ( not a serial connnection I presume) Is this a
> peripheral that is still available???
>
> thanks ,sstu

Bus (or In-Port) mouse plugs into its own peripheral card, typically an
ISA one. We used them as a workaround for failed i8042 controllers for
the PS/2 mouse.

Mojo

On mine, I have a PS2 to serial connector/adapter between the mouse &
9 pin serial port. Works fine. Don't think I needed to load any
drivers.

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:54:50 -0700, Ghostrider <-00-@fitron.142>
wrote:

>stu wrote:
>
>> Ghostrider wrote:

>> > Old motherboard but still usable with a few workarounds. Note that the
>> > PS/2 mouse header pinouts and adapters back in mid-1990's were not
>> > "standard". For the PS/2 mouse to work, need the special one that is for
>> > the P5STE and the P6SNE/F. (SuperMicro may have a worksheet or
>> > guide in its Knowledge Base.)
>> >
>> > Same applies to the header pinouts/adapters for the serial port but less unique.
>> >
>> > Good substitute for serial mouse or PS/2 mouse is to use a Microsoft In-Port
>> > (or Bus) mouse.

>> Thanks ,But what does a BUS mouse hook up to ( not a serial connnection I presume) Is this a
>> peripheral that is still available???
>>
>> thanks ,sstu

>Bus (or In-Port) mouse plugs into its own peripheral card, typically an
>ISA one. We used them as a workaround for failed i8042 controllers for
>the PS/2 mouse.

Mojo