P5WDH and e-sata

Junior Member

I have a Raid 10 array working with 4 320G seagate drives using the 3 intel connectors and #1 orange ezbackup connector. I have an 80G drive that I would like to utilize as an external backup drive using the esata i/o connector on the back panel. I think I have all the available controllers and drivers installed because I installed everything per the manual when setting-up Raid10. I will need to get an external hard drive enclosure to power the drive. If I understand this correctly (never used external hdd before):

1. Should I connect the esata data cable to the i/o esata connector and power-up the external drive BEFORE I boot my system?

2. Anyone know if I can turn-on the external drive power WHILE my system is running, or should it be powered-on before system boot-up? (hotplug?).

3. I have the 4 - 320G Raid10 one one large partition (640G) seen as drive C:\. My D:\ and E:\ drives are both DVD, my F:\ and G:\ drives are usb port flash drives (when plugged-in). Question: when I plug in and power-up the esata, will that show up as H:\ Drive?

4. Anyone using the esata as a backup drive offer advice?

P5WDH non-raid on Jmicron? fiber Asus 1 12-25-2006 01:59 AM
Asus P5WDH SATA setup enclavesaga Asus 0 11-04-2006 03:19 AM
P5W64WS VS P5WDH Deluxe Jeff Asus 1 10-05-2006 08:39 PM
Advice on RAM for P5WDH Ron Krebs Asus 3 09-20-2006 08:55 PM
Processor compatibility with ASUS P5WDH Deluxe joeldgarcia@gmail.com Asus 3 08-04-2006 07:07 PM