P6SBA BX motherboard and USB2?

Stuey

I have a USB2 PCI card which only works at USB1 speed. I have XP
Professional with SP1 applied, but each time I plug a USB2 device in, it
says that a HI-SPEED device is connected to a LO-SPEED USB hub.

Am I fighting a losing battle because of the motherboard being 5 years old,
or should it work? The USB2 card has the VIA chipset.

Thanks,
Stuey

---

Ghostrider

Stuey wrote:
> I have a USB2 PCI card which only works at USB1 speed. I have XP
> Professional with SP1 applied, but each time I plug a USB2 device in, it
> says that a HI-SPEED device is connected to a LO-SPEED USB hub.
>
> Am I fighting a losing battle because of the motherboard being 5 years old,
> or should it work? The USB2 card has the VIA chipset.
>
> Thanks,
> Stuey

Believe that's the situation.

Stuey

"Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Stuey wrote:
> > I have a USB2 PCI card which only works at USB1 speed. I have XP
> > Professional with SP1 applied, but each time I plug a USB2 device in, it
> > says that a HI-SPEED device is connected to a LO-SPEED USB hub.
> >
> > Am I fighting a losing battle because of the motherboard being 5 years

old,
> > or should it work? The USB2 card has the VIA chipset.

> Believe that's the situation.

Fighting the losing battle, or that it should work?

---

Brian K. White

IIRRC, the USB Standard is independent of the chipset in the motherboard.
It should work as a high speed device. Did you install the drivers that
came with the card? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were
some issues about Windows XP properly detecting and configuring a USB 2 hub.

"Stuey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:w1kLb.20289$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> "Ghostrider" <-00-@fitron.142> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Stuey wrote:
> > > I have a USB2 PCI card which only works at USB1 speed. I have XP
> > > Professional with SP1 applied, but each time I plug a USB2 device in,

it
> > > says that a HI-SPEED device is connected to a LO-SPEED USB hub.
> > >
> > > Am I fighting a losing battle because of the motherboard being 5 years

> old,
> > > or should it work? The USB2 card has the VIA chipset.

> > Believe that's the situation.

> Fighting the losing battle, or that it should work?
>

> ---

Stuey

"Brian K. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZBmLb.90998$(E-Mail Removed)...
> IIRRC, the USB Standard is independent of the chipset in the motherboard.
> It should work as a high speed device. Did you install the drivers that
> came with the card? I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were
> some issues about Windows XP properly detecting and configuring a USB 2

hub.

I did install the drivers that came with the card, yes. I also went to the
VIA website and tried to get the latest drivers. They say that the drivers
are only available from Microsoft. I've emailed Tech support at Supermicro
(my motherboard is a Supermicro) to see if they can help as well.

Thanks for your help,
Stuey.

---

Brian K. White

This "drivers only available from Microsoft" was the same problem that I
encountered. They are present in Service Pack 1, the trick is getting them
to install. One of the problems is that If you started with XP without a
service pack and then install SP1, the USB 2.0 drivers are not installed,
you only get an update for the USB 1.1 drivers. Did you try removing all of
the USB drivers from Device Manager and allowing the system to re-detect the
drivers? In my case, I needed to do this several times before the ports
were properly detected. Also, there have been several post SP1 updates to
the USB2 drivers. So one you get them working, you may want to run windows
update. I am sorry that I cannot be more help but it has been almost a year
since I encountered this problem. As a final suggestion, you may want to
look for information on some of the USB specific web sites since the is more
of a Microsoft Windows XP issue.

news:jiGLb.21080$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...